• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sheepwash urban park (1 Viewer)

Single Drake Goosander at the park today
30+ Pochard
11 Teal
30c Lesser Redpoll In 2 flocks around Pumphouse pool
Siskin Heard within flock
other than that, Very wet!
MB

One of my rare visits to an old local patch. Depressing how overgrown and neglected it's become, but it could still be good if we could get the Sandwell Council to take an interest.
5 Grey Heron, 30+ Pochard, 11 Goosander and 3 Water Rail were seen around the various pools.
Geoff

I agree!
I wonder if Sandwell council would take idea's to improve the place?
For one, they should cut off access down to the waters edge near the 'mudflats' are of Pumphouse Pool, Maybe encourage LRP to breed again!
MB

I agree!
I wonder if Sandwell council would take idea's to improve the place?
For one, they should cut off access down to the waters edge near the 'mudflats' are of Pumphouse Pool, Maybe encourage LRP to breed again!
MB
Hi Craig,
There is a Friends of Sheepwash. I have gone to their meetings in the past but they aren't very interested in wildlife.
You could try emailing PaulG_Smith at Sandwell.gov.uk. I believe he is head warden or something. You may have more luck than me.
Geoff

Sun 8 April -

Quiet for migrants i.e. NO hirundines.......

Blackcaps 15+
Chiffchaff 10+
Willow Warbler 2 singing
Ruddy Duck - single male

NETHERTON RES
Shoverler 2 males

FENS POOLS
Cetti's Warbler singing in usual place by Grove Pool

Laurie -

Sunday 6th May -

Weather pleasant enough but NO hirundines! Altho some Swallows at NethRez later on......

6 species of warbler which was unexpected.
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Garden Warbler
Whitethroat
Lesser Whitethroat (railway embankment)

Common Sandpiper, single bird
Oystercatcher, again a single bird on the 'wader island', main pool.

Green Woodpecker - i do'nt believe i have seen one there before.

Duckwise just Mallard and Tufties (if you know what i mean, Geoff!)

A bit more than expected really but still unseasonally.........quiet.

Laurie :t:

For Sheepwash standards that is not seasonally quiet, the fact there is a couple of species of waders is really noteworthy these days.

Sunday 6th May -

Weather pleasant enough but NO hirundines! Altho some Swallows at NethRez later on......

6 species of warbler which was unexpected.
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Garden Warbler
Whitethroat
Lesser Whitethroat (railway embankment)

Common Sandpiper, single bird
Oystercatcher, again a single bird on the 'wader island', main pool.

Green Woodpecker - i do'nt believe i have seen one there before.

Duckwise just Mallard and Tufties (if you know what i mean, Geoff!)

A bit more than expected really but still unseasonally.........quiet.

Laurie :t:

Agree Martin - what i really meant was dissapointed but maybe it's all the cr@p weather? Only just had my 1'st Swifts aound Stourbridge ystda.

The waders were a real surprise especially when i only thought of the possibility of LRP's - gone are the days when the place was being worked on and i could pop down there and have a record count of.......30 Common Sandpipers followed by a megafind like Purple Sandpiper!

Coverage is well down unfotunately, on my visits posted i have not seen another birder at all:C

ATB Laurie:t:

Agree Martin - what i really meant was dissapointed but maybe it's all the cr@p weather? Only just had my 1'st Swifts aound Stourbridge ystda.

The waders were a real surprise especially when i only thought of the possibility of LRP's - gone are the days when the place was being worked on and i could pop down there and have a record count of.......30 Common Sandpipers followed by a megafind like Purple Sandpiper!

Coverage is well down unfotunately, on my visits posted i have not seen another birder at all:C

Dont worry Laurie
After my exams in 2-3 weeks, i'll be able to 'work' sheepwash again aswell!
MB

Arr Laurie I know who you are now.

Nice to see back down there. Alas I don't get there very often now, but still realise the big potential it still has

Of course Sheepwash has a fine history withrarities (Purple Sandpiper and Pom Skua before my time), remeber this one...

Good - and a nice start to Page 3 of the Sheepwash thread!

Laurie -

I certainly do........and the Pom - the place had a purple patch of about 3-5 years when all the 'landscaping' work was being carried out. Certainly during Springl and Autumn migration periods it was fairly buzzing, with a lot of species, particularly waders which just do'nt get recorded these days as the 'edge' habitat has gone and the dynamic aspect has changed to a more 'stable' phase. I do think the tree cover needs some drastic coppicing now in order to vary the structure, the place still has loads of potential but without the regular coverage, led by Geoff who knows what passes through? During May i used to visit 3 times a day but i am not so local now but will visit as frequently as i can.

Having said that, i am off to Geoffs' new patch - Middleton Hall, great place just wish it was closer.

ATB, if you are in touch with Ian Whitehouse pass on my best, i hear he is a fixture at Spurn these days.....

Laurie:t:

Cheers Laurie, off on trip with Ian to Turkey next Saturday.

I used to do Sheepwash before work, loved it. My best find there was Long-tailed Duck.

I certainly do........and the Pom - the place had a purple patch of about 3-5 years when all the 'landscaping' work was being carried out. Certainly during Springl and Autumn migration periods it was fairly buzzing, with a lot of species, particularly waders which just do'nt get recorded these days as the 'edge' habitat has gone and the dynamic aspect has changed to a more 'stable' phase. I do think the tree cover needs some drastic coppicing now in order to vary the structure, the place still has loads of potential but without the regular coverage, led by Geoff who knows what passes through? During May i used to visit 3 times a day but i am not so local now but will visit as frequently as i can.

Having said that, i am off to Geoffs' new patch - Middleton Hall, great place just wish it was closer.

ATB, if you are in touch with Ian Whitehouse pass on my best, i hear he is a fixture at Spurn these days.....

Laurie:t:

LTD - excellent find! - enjoy your trip and just in case you do'nt click with Cream Coloured Courser get over to Kington............It's a cracker.......28 years of pain........unblocked;)

I did a now rare visit to SUP yesterday afternoon, it was good to see a pair of Common Tern taking an interest in the place still, but it's a pity that all the rocky islands that they used to nest on are all overgrown with bramble and trees and I hear that Rattlechain Pool is likely to be filled in.
Also there was a Cormorant, a brood of Little Grebe and 5 circa Gt Crested Grebe.
Geoff

Cheers Laurie, off on trip with Ian to Turkey next Saturday.

I used to do Sheepwash before work, loved it. My best find there was Long-tailed Duck.
My best finds here were Crag Martin (with D.Waite) and Bonelli's Warbler! it's a shame they didn't stay longer for others to enjoy (they weren't accepted by BBRC), however Dusky Warbler, Pomarine Skua and a flock of Spoonbill (4 actually) were nearly as good.
Geoff

Manadged to get down Y'day afternoon after a couple of revsion sessions at 6th form.
Rather quiet on the Bird front, a brief HOBBY with a hirudine sp in its tallons flew over Pumphouse pool towards the chemical pool and seemed to drop down into trees, unfortunatly i didnt see where as i was borrowing my bins to my friend (to watch the Terns) at the time.
4 Common Tern moving in and out.
However, highlight was finding 2 male Green Hairstreak butterflies, which i didnt know were around at Sheepwash. A couple of female Brimstone, a single Gatekeeper, Common blue were noted, among numerous 'white' butterflies. Lots of Orange Tips also.
DSCN1538.jpg
MB

Green Hairstreak

Manadged to get down Y'day afternoon after a couple of revsion sessions at 6th form.
Rather quiet on the Bird front, a brief HOBBY with a hirudine sp in its tallons flew over Pumphouse pool towards the chemical pool and seemed to drop down into trees, unfortunatly i didnt see where as i was borrowing my bins to my friend (to watch the Terns) at the time.
4 Common Tern moving in and out.
However, highlight was finding 2 male Green Hairstreak butterflies, which i didnt know were around at Sheepwash. A couple of female Brimstone, a single Gatekeeper, Common blue were noted, among numerous 'white' butterflies. Lots of Orange Tips also.
View attachment 386010
MB

Nice sighting of Green Hairstreak Craig, I have informed the Midland Butterfly recorder Nigel Stone. Which VC County is it, probably Staffordshire.

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back