• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

The north pit has been really quiet waderwise lately, today I had just 1 Snipe and a Common Sandpiper there. Perhaps things will pick up when the pit gets strimmed and mowed?

Yesterday I decided to have a change and did the Meadow trail but it was quiet with just a few warblers noted. Perhaps I should have checked for waders as there was a good movement across the midlands, even Sheepwash urban park got a Greenshank per DW.
Anyway today I did the Wetland trail. On the north pit were 6 Greenshank with another on Fishers Mill Pool, other waders included 1 Oystercatcher, 3 LRP, 1 Curlew over calling, 1 Redshank, 3 Green Sand (inc. 2 at Hall Lake), 2 Common Sand, a Yellow Wagtail was on FM Pool and 2 Raven were by the farm calling loudly. A Little Egret performed well at the new reed bed pool, chasing fish around.

New in today was a Wood Sandpiper on the new reed bed pool also there were 6 LRP, 1 Oystercatcher and a Greenshank, there were a further 4 Greenshank still on the north pit.
The 2 Raven and a Yellow Wagtail were still around.

Not very pleasant at Midd Lakes today with fumes coming from a big fire in Birmingham (not riot related according to a You Tube video).
New reedbed pool, 2 Little Egret, 2 Greenshank, 1 LRP, 3 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 1 Redshank, 1 Green Sand, 1 Swift and 5 Raven over calling.
The volunteers were making scarecrows, I thought the reserve was created to attract birds not to scare them away! :-O

Walked as far as the north pit but only birds of note there were a Yellow Wagtail and 2 Yellowhammers.
New reedbed pool held a Little Egret, 3 Greenshank and 2 juv. LRP. There were 3 Green Sand on Hall Lake.
Geoff

Only went as far as the new reedbed pool. There could be many rare waders on the north pit but it's too overgrown to tell.
Still plenty of mud on reedbed pool, there was at least 3 Greenshank there but as they kept flying off into the distance and then reappearing,there could have been more. Also there were 1 Little Egret, 3 Ruff, 1 Wood Sand and 2 juv. LRP plus 2 Black-tailed Godwit were reported flying over earlier.
On the Hall Lake were 2 Green Sand. The Swallows at the farm were all a twitter, perhaps it won't be long before they head south.

Just realised that this looks to be the main middleton lakes thread.

Going to be heading up there tomorrow for my first time, would anyone be kind enough to offer advice as to the best spots on the reserve? would be very grateful :t:

Just realised that this looks to be the main middleton lakes thread.

Going to be heading up there tomorrow for my first time, would anyone be kind enough to offer advice as to the best spots on the reserve? would be very grateful :t:
Hi Suthyyy, The wetland trail is the best to follow, the meadow trail is a bit boring with very few birds to be seen and you need to be fit to do both. Each trail takes about 2 hours at a birders gait.
You can download a map from off the RSPB Middleton Lake website.
Hope you see some good birds.
Geoff

Not much change from yesterday. On new reedbed pool were 1 Little Egret, 1 LRP, 1 Ringed Plover, 3 Greenshank, 1 Wood Sandpiper and a Yellow Wagtail.
There were a total of 4 Green Sandpiper with 3 on Hall Lake and 1 at the Middle East pool.

Hi there,

I was hoping to spot the kingfisher that ive heard is a resident here at middleton but didnt spot it on saturday. Anyone got any tips as to where would be best on the reserve to see it?

Cheers :t:

Hi there,

I was hoping to spot the kingfisher that ive heard is a resident here at middleton but didnt spot it on saturday. Anyone got any tips as to where would be best on the reserve to see it?

I often see it flying along the river near the new reedbed pool.

Hi there,

I haven't seen a Kingfisher since June but the river is the best bet as TR3K says.
Today was groundhog day, same old same old, 1 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Greenshank and a juv. LRP on new reedbed pool. 2 Ruff were reported but missed by me.
The woodland trail held Blackcap, Nuthatch, Treecreeper and Raven.
Geoff

I haven't seen a Kingfisher since June but the river is the best bet as TR3K says.
Today was groundhog day, same old same old, 1 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Greenshank and a juv. LRP on new reedbed pool. 2 Ruff were reported but missed by me.
The woodland trail held Blackcap, Nuthatch, Treecreeper and Raven.
Geoff

I keep missing the Ruff hopefully I will have better luck in the week.

Early morning visit

A quick visit this morning 0630 - 0730 produced the following

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Nuthatch on feeders by car park

Fishers Mill Pool
4 Green Sandpiper

New Reedbed Pool
2 Little Egret
3 LRP
1 Greenshank
1 Wood sandpiper
1 Snipe

Regards
Martin

could someone explain to me which pools are named what? Everyone's referring to pools but i'm not too sure which pools you are referring too :t:

There are three main pools, as you come over the bridge the first pool you see is Fishers Mill Pool the next Pool along is New Reedbed Pool then North Pit. Hope this helps if not I'm sure someone will come along and explain it better.:t:

There are three main pools, as you come over the bridge the first pool you see is Fishers Mill Pool the next Pool along is New Reedbed Pool then North Pit. Hope this helps if not I'm sure someone will come along and explain it better.:t:
Many of the pools between New reedbed pool and the north pit do not have any names at the present,Tame Valley Birding call them Bassett South pits, I have started calling them Middle East pools and Midwest pools to differentiate them.
Geoff

No sign of the forecast rain this morning. There was some movement on,with plenty of warblers about including Garden Warbler. Highlight was a Spotted Flycatcher, my first for the reserve, seen by the heronry lookout.
There were 3 Little Egret and a Hobby. Waders seen were 1 juvenile LRP, 1 adult and 2 juv. Ringed Plover, 2 Snipe, 1 Redshank, 3+ Greenshank mostly new reedbed pool and north pit. The regular 3 Green Sandpiper were still on Hall Lake.
Juvenile LRP and Ringed Plover can be hard to sort out but a juv. Kentish Plover was found at Rimac, Lincs yesterday just after I left. It is a bird we could easily miss here in the Midlands if not aware (see www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk/forum/index.php for pictures of the bird). I'll be keeping my eyes peeled in the future.
Geoff

Last edited:
Today I only went as far as the new reedbed pool, saw 3 Buzzards, a family party? 2 Dunlin were new in, other waders were 2 LRP, 7 Ringed Plover, 2 Greenshank and there were now 4 Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake.
There was an influx of Common Tern with 14 birds seen which included 10 juvs.
A Kingfisher catching fish on the river was good to see.
Also walked along the bridleway looking for Redstart etc. but it was very quiet, birds having an afternoon siesta?
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back