• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (5 Viewers)

Birdguides is fine but depending on what is scarce or rare on the day it reports accordingly and obviously it can only report given information. Something considered not unusual at many coastal counties would be a notable record in the Black Country and these just are not reported except possibly on this sort of sub-forum......

Laurie:t:

Hi Phil,

are you up to filtering out the county rares that have been reported on the pager at Sandwell Valley, such as annual Goshawks, Turtle Doves and reports of Gannet, Bonxie, Nightingale ect. That's an even bigger task, but I'm sure you are up to the job Mr Statto.:t:

Yeah, tell me about the Nightingale.......it wasn't until I'd been searching for a couple of hours that I was told who had reported it :C

I have in my possession the excellent "Birds of the Sandwell Valley" by Forbes, Hackett and Hextell, (well its actually John Belsey's copy but don't remind him I've got it :-O) which I would calculate was written around 2000. I havent the heart (or the WMBC annual reports prior to 1999) to check the contents but can anyone offer an opinion whether it only includes birds accepted by the relevant County Recorders over the years or also includes unsubstantiated reports? I hope its the former otherwise it would spoil what is an excellent read and source.

I visit The Valley at least once a month and only report what I have seen and not what other people THINK they have seen as on my last visit I was told about a couple of species that were thier the DAY BEFORE but not on the day I was there which unfortunatly seems to be the in thing with one or two people around the reserve.

I think I know who you guys are on about but there are one or two others who are just as bad I don't look in the hide book either and have noticed they have stopped putting a weekly sightings account on thier facebook page.

I can not find any other forum or site that have sighting updates from this reserve which is a shame as it could be a very good area for rare species and what doesn't help is the hide is only open fior a few hours a day and CLOSED on Mondays.

Will try and visit over the next few weeks and will update after visit.

sandwell

i was in the hide some time ago and found the very clicky bunch in there at best unhelpful so i spent half hour or so showing them pictures of robins and sparrows etc etc and asking them what they were, after all they used to have a top on saying ask me i'm here to help or some such. cheered me up no end the look of irritation on there faces.

Sandwell valley

I have in my possession the excellent "Birds of the Sandwell Valley" by Forbes, Hackett and Hextell, (well its actually John Belsey's copy but don't remind him I've got it :-O) which I would calculate was written around 2000. I havent the heart (or the WMBC annual reports prior to 1999) to check the contents but can anyone offer an opinion whether it only includes birds accepted by the relevant County Recorders over the years or also includes unsubstantiated reports? I hope its the former otherwise it would spoil what is an excellent read and source.

" Birds of the Sandwell Valley " was written by Pete Forbes, Pete Hackett and Tim Hextell. Three reputable and excellent birders. In fact Tim Hextell was West Mids county recorder throughout the 90s to 2003 when Kevin Clements took over. As you say this is an excellent account of the valley up to the time it was published. I have every confidence that the authors research and dedication to their patch is beyond question.

" Birds of the Sandwell Valley " was written by Pete Forbes, Pete Hackett and Tim Hextell. Three reputable and excellent birders. In fact Tim Hextell was West Mids county recorder throughout the 90s to 2003 when Kevin Clements took over. As you say this is an excellent account of the valley up to the time it was published. I have every confidence that the authors research and dedication to their patch is beyond question.

Thanks Hughie - my faith is restored! :t:

Bring it to the work party this Sunday............. thief8-PB :)John

i was in the hide some time ago and found the very clicky bunch in there at best unhelpful so i spent half hour or so showing them pictures of robins and sparrows etc etc and asking them what they were, after all they used to have a top on saying ask me i'm here to help or some such. cheered me up no end the look of irritation on there faces.

Trace..sounds like being at Upton8-P

I would second that:t:John Belsey

Having only really taken up birding this year, I have been pleasantly pleased with Sandwell Valley Reserve and Park. I have seen 64 different birds already there in 2013. (It would be 68 if i could have identified some of the little brown ones in the marshy areas, or if they had sat still for a little while longer for me to photograph)

Having been in the hide 3 times and had some wonderful conversations with the vounteers there. I have found them all really helpful. One volunteer today took me for a short walk to show me where the snipe and jack snipe were hiding out.(would never have spotted them without his help!!)

2 lovely oyster catchers, little grebe, and many other water birds. I missed the water rail though :(

Top marks to the volunteers down there from me especially.;)B :)

Having only really taken up birding this year, I have been pleasantly pleased with Sandwell Valley Reserve and Park. I have seen 64 different birds already there in 2013. (It would be 68 if i could have identified some of the little brown ones in the marshy areas, or if they had sat still for a little while longer for me to photograph)

Having been in the hide 3 times and had some wonderful conversations with the vounteers there. I have found them all really helpful. One volunteer today took me for a short walk to show me where the snipe and jack snipe were hiding out.(would never have spotted them without his help!!)

2 lovely oyster catchers, little grebe, and many other water birds. I missed the water rail though :(

Top marks to the volunteers down there from me especially.;)B :)
if you ain't aware ask about the parakeets down there as well, i called in a few weeks back and had five along railway line. also had my 1st lesser spot there as well, i used to go a lot when i started three and a half years back, and found them a good bunch but the one time they were a pain in the proverbial and i ain't the time or patience for that. enjoy.

Yeah have found them down the railway side. Have not seen a lesser spotted although have seen greater spotted and green woodpeckers.

Many thank for the info though

Pete Forbes took me "under his wing" -pun intended - in the '80's and used to show me all around Sandwell as well as places further afield.For me a golden age for my birdwatching.Top man.....

There are quite a few brilliant birders still on the Valley who seem to know every blade of grass.I don't know if they report their sightings though.....don't think there's a law about that.

Glad someone decided to put the Ringnecks on the list...a great sight seeing them in flight.

Keith :t:

Just a quick note here I have managed to get my first photograph published in the Sandwell Prospectus it's on page 7 showing a landscape view of the Marsh Area at Sandwell Valley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back