• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (2 Viewers)

WITHYMOOR POOL

First ever visit to this little yet beautiful pool this could throw up some surprises if it’s watched regulary.

I arrived around 10.50am off the 287 bus from Stourbridge, the weather was a little chilly in the wind to say the least around – 7 with the wind chill I was only here for about an hour as it was getting to cold and I wanted to try and get to the Fens Pools before it got too cold.

SPECIES SEEN -

Lesser Black Backed Gull (3), Black Headed Gull (50+), Canada Goose (21), Coot (4), Tufted Duck (8), Mallard (6), Pied Wagtail, Moorhen (4), Mute Swan, Magpie, Wood Pigeon (5)

It is watched regularly;) It suffers from having very little edge for waders and could do with somewhere for things to perch, like a raft imo.

The adjacent embankment with it's wooded slope helps to funnel warblers and woodland ssp through the area.

As you imply, Adrian, the birds are where the birders are - it's all down to coverage. It's not the sort of place where you spend hours, i spend upto an hour when i visit but it's on the doorstep, along with Mary Stevens Park and it's a body of water so there is always the 'potential'.........

Talking of which, in not very pleasant conditions ystda -

Still 8 Goosander, 2 males and 6 females, a couple of adult LBB Gulls and Ca75 BHG's.

Laurie:t:

Tue 13th Mar...............

Withymoor...........1130

Tufted Duck - 4males, 2 females.
BH Gull - Ca75.
LBB Gll - 3 adults.

Mary Stevens Park.........1500.

Goosander - 1 ad male, 6 adult females and 2 birds transitioning into darker heads presume immature males - a total of 9 birds noted.

LBB Gull - 2 adults.
BH Gull - Ca100 birds.

Eyes peeled, first migrants arriving along with species like Eider (male) dropping in at Sheepwash and Glossy Ibis claimed over Coventry:eek!:

Had a good 2 hrs birding, Ounty John Lane this Morning. 200 + Gulls. Adult & juvenile Lesser bb Gulls, also Adult num Herring Gulls mixed with black Headed Gulls. In stubble field nr County Lane num Fieldfares, Chaffinchs, gold Finchs, . other birds SkyLarks(num) meadow Pipits, 1male Reed Bunting. Best bird Male (Merlin) flew low along Hedge Towards Rugby Pitchs.

I am envious of the Merlin, Paul, i've had Peregrine 3 times over those fields in the last 5 years including a hunting pair that i saw catch a Stock Dove:eek!:

Withymoor today - 3 LBB adults, 50+ BHGulls, 2 male and 1 female Tufties. Highlight, 3 Buzzards stooping at each other over the Railway line before drifting off towards StourHole.........

MSPark -

Goosander appear to have Gone-sander, 2LBB's and about 100 BHG's along with a male and female Tuftie...........

Bumped into an old mate, Eric Philips:eek!:, who informed me that a birder that i used to bump into each Autumn on the Scillies had passed away. Lester, quite a character - bedecked with an Australian bush-hat pinned up at the one side:C A mate of Tony Evans who used to wear an 'artist-type' Blue peaked cap.

Both used to smoke like chimneys (Swifts) and drink like fish (eagles).

RIP mate, glad to have known ya...........:C

Thur 14th March............1600

A shuftie around the West Hagley Fields, quiet and cool would summarise the 'experience'. All the ploughing appears to have been done which means the fields are looking good for passage Pipits, Wagtails and Chats. The 'pool' is looking good with plenty of Corvids and Woodies taking advantage of some shallow, open, water - a habitat which is locally scarce. The cessation of the ploughing activities means that the large gathering of Gulls appears to have finished - ah, well, at least i managed a Common Gull. Only Gulls tda were birds moving over to their overnite roosting site?

Buzzard x2 + Stock Doves, Yellowhammers and Skylarks of note.

Today is the earliest that i have had Wheatear over these fields but it was not to be. Birds should be easy enough to pick up with the naked eye against the darker fields, also the furrows are not deep.

This time last year coincided with a period of dry, settled and warm weather which was much appreciated, the downside being the lack of grounded migrants - i only managed a single record of Wheatear last year despite daily visits........

Mary Stevens Park........1700.....proved far more productive with 10 Goosander being present comprising of - 1 adult male, 1 transitional male and 8 female-types. Also present was, presumably the same, first-Winter type Cormorant.

Also noted were about 60 BHGulls and a couple of adult LBB's........

Laurie :t:

Thur 14th March............1600

A shuftie around the West Hagley Fields, quiet and cool would summarise the 'experience'. All the ploughing appears to have been done which means the fields are looking good for passage Pipits, Wagtails and Chats. The 'pool' is looking good with plenty of Corvids and Woodies taking advantage of some shallow, open, water - a habitat which is locally scarce. The cessation of the ploughing activities means that the large gathering of Gulls appears to have finished - ah, well, at least i managed a Common Gull. Only Gulls tda were birds moving over to their overnite roosting site?

Buzzard x2 + Stock Doves, Yellowhammers and Skylarks of note.

Today is the earliest that i have had Wheatear over these fields but it was not to be. Birds should be easy enough to pick up with the naked eye against the darker fields, also the furrows are not deep.

This time last year coincided with a period of dry, settled and warm weather which was much appreciated, the downside being the lack of grounded migrants - i only managed a single record of Wheatear last year despite daily visits........

Mary Stevens Park........1700.....proved far more productive with 10 Goosander being present comprising of - 1 adult male, 1 transitional male and 8 female-types. Also present was, presumably the same, first-Winter type Cormorant.

Also noted were about 60 BHGulls and a couple of adult LBB's........

Laurie :t:
14th March.... Brake Lane, West Hagley....1.45pm
I reckon I found your missing Gulls at Brake Lane Laurie! They didn't hang around and took flight shortly after I arrived and only a small proportion of the Gulls seen in the pics returned. Corvids galore were in the fields and trees, Finches, Tits, Yellowhammer (1), Raven (1) and a couple Mistle Thrush were other notable sightings.
10 Goosander on Brake Mill Pool at 3.00pm, 8 female and 2 males!

Attachments

• P1070489 [].JPG
    P1070489 [].JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 120
  • P1070493 [].JPG
    P1070493 [].JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 120
  • P1070495 [].JPG
    P1070495 [].JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 106
Paul - the area i describe as the 'West Hagley Fields' is bordered in the North by Racecourse Lane, the East by the Norton/Kidderminster road, West by Worcester Lane (there are a couple of fields between the Railway Line and the road) and the South by Brake Lane, running up from the Railway Station.

My general birding mainly covers the 'plateau' area (which is higher than you think) surrounding the Water Pumping station. The fields are usually a mix of either grain or spuds. Hedgerows are short but quite full. They are easily covered by a sweep of the binoculars and there are a number of little bits of woodland with a good bit of scrubby habitat down where you cross the Railway.

Water is generally limited to rainfall runoff forming small drinking pools. It is well used by dog-walkers, cyclists etc. I do see the odd birder (Ray Collier) and often get asked what i am looking at by passing walkers, particularly when using my combination of scope and monopod.

Attached is a map covering the area and a photo of what i am reliably informed is an...........Ounty John!

I have no doubt that you have been birding this area anyway?

I believe that all of this recording area is within the West Midlands county. Altho birds of note are sent to Brian Stretch for inclusion on his site as a lot of people go to UW but live more local to the Black Country and might find stuff of interest on their way to Waitrose or Sainsburys.....

Pam - nice notes, i have seen swirling Gulls over the area you are talking about and when i was checking on Goosander a few weeks ago over at Brakemill and Stakenbridge the numbers of Gulls were notable. I assume the numbers that i had were linked to soil cultivation and 'following the plough'.

Attachments

• WestHagleyFields.jpg
    WestHagleyFields.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 116
  • OuntyJohn.jpg
    OuntyJohn.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 100
Friday 15th Mar - 1630.........

Mary Stevens Park

Goosander - 9 birds, 1ad male 1subad male and 7 females. There might have been one more bird but they were very mobile and diving frequently.

A pair of Tufties were also present.

Attached is a poor picture of the previous days' Cormorant, Phalocrocorax pixelatus.........

There has been much talk, of late. of 'improving' the pool. Well, improvement is highly subjective and according to the Stourbridge News highly emotive as well.

Misguided councillors in their efforts to appease all and sundry seem more than willing to commit public funds to ill thought out schemes like this. Their intention was to remove 'unsightly' trees and the bats and invertebrates that depend on them. There are also 'dangerous' trees surrounding the pool i.e. those that lean slightly (towards the pool) and the hare-brained idea to drain it and remove the silt. This is material that has taken years to build up and provides the 'proper' food for the birds that live and visit.

The 'reclaimed' material would then be used to make 'bunds' for elevated viewing platforms for that most useful of activities...........Football!:C

Hopefull sanity will prevail and the Councillors can get back to claiming expenses and feathering their nests. Something which we know that can do very well.

Attached is a picture of the 'concerned' residents and a link to the article.

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/ne..._fear_eco_catastrophe_in_popular_beauty_spot/

Attachments

• CarboCapture.jpg
    CarboCapture.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 118
Had a look around Lakeside Pool, water level up again. Had Little Grebe , 1st one i have had on Pool for 2 Years. 3 Pair of Tufted Duck. On Fields by Withymoor School 2 Adult Lesser black Backed Gulls & 5 Black Headed Gulls, also SparrowHawk over.

On Thursday Morning For 2nd time this Year had 2 Ravens Fly over nr House on Withymoor Village.

Thankfully the plans to drain the Lake at Mary Stevens have been withdrawn though I doubt they would have been passed...or would they?:eek!:

A few carefully concealed Rat traps wouldn't go amiss!!!

Little Grebe's good Paul, I had my first ever last Spring with the arrival of a single adult and then joined a day later by another - alas they only stopped about 5 days. They did indulge in a little bit of displaying with frequent calling and appeared to searching for what i thought would be nesting material, all to no avail:C

Sat 16th March................

Withymoor - 1600

Very, very quiet. No Little Grebe, no Gulls and 5 Tufties - 3males/2females.

Mary Stevesn Park - 1700

Quiet, a handful of BHGulls, 2 female Goosander and the 1W Cormorant present the only notables........

Hi
Just by chance have picked up on your thread, nice to know someone else out there also covers Hagley fields - Brakemill Pool area been watching the area for the last 30 + years cannot recall coming across another birder in that time - hope to catch up with one of you soon ( Ill post anything of note on here from now on. )
Cheers Glenn

Cheers Glenn - the more the merrier, particularly with posting of sightings. More records away from everybodys favourite local patch would be nice. OK records will be transient but it would give a broader picture of what is being seen and what movement is taking place.....

I am either on a racing bike or with a couple of Staffies, look forward to bumping into you at some stage.

Sun 17th Mar............

Withymoor 1115 -

Quiet, 2 pairs of Tufties and about 40 Black Headed Gulls.

Hurcott 1200 -

Unbelievably quiet, 1 1W Black Headed Gull, 1 ad LBB Gull and a pair of GCGrebes noted. I did think of the possibility of a Sand Martin but........for me, i have never found this piece of water at all productive and consistantly dissapoints. No edge habitat as such and could do with a couple of loafing platforms imo.

West Hagley Fields 1230-1330 -

A bimble around the top fields. Lots of ploughed habitat, soil looking dark after the recent rain should make a Wheatear stand out. But today just a lot of interesting but ultimately dodgy pebbles to scrutinise. A useful exercise none the less.

Plenty of corvids, as expected, and small parties of Stock Doves, a couple of singing Skylarks and a total of 3 Buzzards including the perched very pale bird noted recently. Also notable was an adult Grey Heron foraging in one of the recently ploughed fields.

Mary Stevens Park 1530 -

Lesser BB Gull - 2 adults, 1 second-Winter and 1 3rd Winter/4cy.
BHGull - ca150

NO Goosander/Tufties/Cormorant.

Mon 18th Mar.........

Withymoor -

A superb early-Spring morning for potential migrants.......somewhere... Gibraltar for certain and possibly Portland but not the BirdDenudedTriangle:C

Still, plenty of small stuff singing - lots of Great Tits, Greenfinches and Dunnocks. Also Blue Tit, Robin etc. Just what you would expect at this time of year.

Not much change on the Pool with about 50 Black Headed Gulls and 4 Tufties present, 3males and 1fem (same as ystda not as i reported, I was thinking of somewhere else.)

Of note was an adult Lesser Black Backed Gull that was hawking for insects above the embankment where the mixed Birch and Conifers are. It was twisting and turning and i watched it catch several 'critters'.

Attachments

• TheBirdDenudedTriangle.jpg
    TheBirdDenudedTriangle.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 112
Mon 18th Mar...........

Mary Stevens Park - 1700

Black Headed Gulls -only about 30 birds, OK it's towards the time where most leave to roost overnite but the numbers have been dropping from a peak of over 400 in January so i guess the 'longed-for' Med Gull will have to wait another year but you never know.

Lesser Black Backed Gull- just a pair but there was a monster size difference with the larger, presumed male, about 50% bigger even to the naked eye. We know who wears the Yellow trousers on that island!

Goosander - single male and female.
Tufted Duck - single male and female present.

Attachments

• TheBirdDenudedTriangle2.jpg
    TheBirdDenudedTriangle2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 91
I though you had had a Med Gull at first glance of your post today Laurie!:eek!:

I passed by Hurcott on Sunday afternoon and could see a couple of Gulls at the back of the pool! It is unbelievably quiet there! I think my highlight on the water there has been a lone G C Grebe a couple of years ago! I haven't walked around the woods for a while now so maybe an overdue walk will be made in the near future. I know it is in the Wyre Forest but still close enough to Stourbridge to warrant a mention occasionally!;)

I had a male Stonechat in the Whittington area on Sunday (male and female there on the 19th February)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back