• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fen's Pool Nr (1 Viewer)

I am very local to the area and I am keen to photograph the bullfinches over there.
Were is the best place to see them as I am new to birding.
Thanks Andy.

Bullfinches are present in the scrub and trees anywhere around the pools, but I would watch it walking around the area with a camera, lets just say its not the best of areas as you probably know.

I know most of the reprabates over there.
When I used to go fishing over there I would always be pleasant and never got any trouble.

Desperate to get a pic of the bullfinches and was told they are between the grove and the canal pathway,so will try and get over at some point.

Thanks for the info ;)

ps had a text earlier today to say their was a drake Smew on the grove pool briefly this morning before flying off, only the 3rd record for the site, following a male in 1993 and a female in 1995, it was later looked for at the other local pools(Neth Res ,Sheepwash ,Himley) but without success, cheers si

WOW:eek!: - that's a knicker-gripper.....

With regard to the Bullfinches - i have seen birds around the feeder area on a number of occasions altho not on the feeders themselves.

Laurie:t:

Sun 30th Mar.......[/B

Total of 20+ Tufties on the pools and a mixed party of large Gulls ca25, mainly LBB's (adults) but a couple of 1w/s type Herrings.

Migrant-wise quiet, i thought there might be some feeding Sand Martins but if there has been they have moved on.

A total of 3 singing Chiffchaffs and a single Blackcap around the wooded end of the Middle Pool. 3 non-breeding Cormorants present, 1 on the Middle and 2 on Fens Pool.

A single Redwing was noted.

Nothing much to mention but i thought i might put something up as i made the last post back in March:C....Spent an hour or so down there ystda, quiet as expected. Migrants included Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Swift, House Martin and a very vocal Lesser Whitethroat singing down on the Middle Pool.

Lots of fishermen and several families, beer tins in hand, with more kids than teeth.

I try and pop over as early as possible.
All the locals are still hungover in there pits.
Not been for a couple of weeks, been over kinver watching a buzzard family fledge.
Was great to see the first flight, makes getting up early more worthwhile.

I'm up there tomorrow, weather permitting, so fingers crossed - it would be nice that if somebody can be bothered to put it on BirdGuides they could make the effort to put it on here? I suppose they have their reasons.....

1500->1615.....

Had a good mooch around all 4 pools but to no avail:C They are nocturnal migrants and there was a decent lull in the rain during the night so it might have gone? A couple of Little Grebes on the Grove plus a couple of Teal and a male Pochard on Fens in addition to reasonable numbers of Tufties. Bumped into a couple of blokes wandering around and that was about it.

Considering the total cloud cover the visibility was good but a fruitless;) visit amongst the salad-dodgers.

Was on site this morning 10-12. Rubbish weather again and as Laurie, no sign of the BNG, and a noticeable 'clear out' of Little Grebe (5 yesterday on Fens Pool, only 1 today). Drake pochard. Lots of thrushes among the hawthorns, including 20 Redwing.

A quick post to resurrect this thread before it drops off the page.....

Popped in for an hour or so ystda after visiting Netherton Razzer. I only viewed Fens Pool from the seat on the railway line, a couple of locals had already been thru with nothing reported so i did'nt bother exploring further. Had a chat with one of the Wardens (Terry) and a local chap birding, interesting to hear of a record count of 38 Cormorants recently:eek!:

Ca 25 large Gulls noted, a mix of LBB's and Herring and a hunting female-type Sprawk. I decided to eat a beef cob that i had bought with me and heard the distinct harsh 'attack' call of a Carrion Crow. I looked up to see a pair of them dive-bombing a Peregrine. The Peregrine was a nice Brown bird with a diffused hood, presumably a first-Winter individual. The bird then split the Crows and proceeded to chase and stoop on its former tormentor for a few minutes before disappearing in the direction of Barrow Hill.

Nice to see a bird locally so early on in the year but what do i have to look forward to now?.....:C

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back