Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 14:30   #1
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Swarovski and Zeiss wipes

My NIKON edg had some sap on the lens so I tried to clean it with a ZEISS cloth. It didn't work. I broke out my free SWARO lense wipe that came with my glass. It removed the sap, but streaked a little so I had to use the cloth again.

SWARO wipes are not easy to come by but they seem to work as good as the readily available ZEISS wipes. Both seem to streak though.

The SWARO wipe smelled better than the Zeiss though. They add a bit of freshner to cover the alcohol smell up.

Do you uses wipes and if so do you like them?
Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 15:33   #2
stereotruckdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie ghost View Post
My NIKON edg had some sap on the lens so I tried to clean it with a ZEISS cloth. It didn't work. I broke out my free SWARO lense wipe that came with my glass. It removed the sap, but streaked a little so I had to use the cloth again.

SWARO wipes are not easy to come by but they seem to work as good as the readily available ZEISS wipes. Both seem to streak though.

The SWARO wipe smelled better than the Zeiss though. They add a bit of freshner to cover the alcohol smell up.

Yes i use them but i finish with microfiber! I use the wipes for keeping the exterior of the bin clean as well, works wonderfully and they are cheap! :-) Bryce...
Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 21:56   #3
dannat

I use the zeiss, but find them a little too wet at times, leaves too much moisture I have o clean up
Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 23:55   #4
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
I use the zeiss, but find them a little too wet at times, leaves too much moisture I have o clean up
I guess you have to wait until these dry out some to finish. That is what I do. Seems to work.
Old Friday 29th June 2012, 17:41   #5
elkcub

Quote:

One day my car was covered with sap from a Magnolia tree. The 5mm translucent gobs of goo couldn't be removed with paint thinner, alcohol, turps, or anything else I could find in the garage. It was a mess.

Late in the afternoon a light rain began, and like magic the sap melted away. It was water soluble !!

Ed
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 29th June 2012, 19:27   #6
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
One day my car was covered with sap from a Magnolia tree. The 5mm translucent gobs of goo couldn't be removed with paint thinner, alcohol, turps, or anything else I could find in the garage. It was a mess.

Late in the afternoon a light rain began, and like magic the sap melted away. It was water soluble !!

Ed
Murphy's law
Old Saturday 30th June 2012, 05:35   #7
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post

Ed
I saw something like that in a Science Fiction movie. Can't remember the name of it though.

Bob
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 1st July 2012, 02:59   #8
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Quote:

I use Zeiss wipes regularly and keep one in my wallet for "emergencies" in the woods like zapping sap. A while ago, a young checkout girl saw it in my wallet when I took out my money to pay for the groceries, and she smirked at me. It didn't hit me until half way to the car that she thought the square foil envelop contained something else. :-)

Rather than rubbing hard with the Zeiss wipes or microfiber cloth for stubborn stains, try ROR (Residual Oil Remover):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Remover.html

<B>
Old Sunday 1st July 2012, 05:53   #9
pompadour
Registered Member

Not aware if this is well known - if so then sorry to repeat. I have found it works really well. Several kinds of oily smears on a lens can gently and neatly be removed by using a bit of toilet paper - much better than other widely available kinds of paper wipes - applied with just water, then - if necessary - dry. (I cannot figure it out - dry wiping does not work, and some of the stuff is not water soluble - maybe the water "edges in" between that and the lens coating?)

Last edited by pompadour : Sunday 1st July 2012 at 10:43. Reason: Changed "Many" to "Several", added last sentc, etc.
Old Sunday 1st July 2012, 10:21   #10
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
I use Zeiss wipes regularly and keep one in my wallet for "emergencies" in the woods like zapping sap. A while ago, a young checkout girl saw it in my wallet when I took out my money to pay for the groceries, and she smirked at me. It didn't hit me until half way to the car that she thought the square foil envelop contained something else. :-)

<B>
good one!!!!

I use them on my eye glasses most of the time and they seem to work well.

Last edited by newfie ghost : Sunday 1st July 2012 at 10:23.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: