Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 14:30   #1
newfie ghost
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: None
Posts: 617
Swarovski and Zeiss wipes

My NIKON edg had some sap on the lens so I tried to clean it with a ZEISS cloth. It didn't work. I broke out my free SWARO lense wipe that came with my glass. It removed the sap, but streaked a little so I had to use the cloth again.

SWARO wipes are not easy to come by but they seem to work as good as the readily available ZEISS wipes. Both seem to streak though.

The SWARO wipe smelled better than the Zeiss though. They add a bit of freshner to cover the alcohol smell up.

Do you uses wipes and if so do you like them?
newfie ghost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 15:33   #2
stereotruckdriver
Registered User
 
stereotruckdriver's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie ghost View Post
My NIKON edg had some sap on the lens so I tried to clean it with a ZEISS cloth. It didn't work. I broke out my free SWARO lense wipe that came with my glass. It removed the sap, but streaked a little so I had to use the cloth again.

SWARO wipes are not easy to come by but they seem to work as good as the readily available ZEISS wipes. Both seem to streak though.

The SWARO wipe smelled better than the Zeiss though. They add a bit of freshner to cover the alcohol smell up.

Do you uses wipes and if so do you like them?
Yes i use them but i finish with microfiber! I use the wipes for keeping the exterior of the bin clean as well, works wonderfully and they are cheap! :-) Bryce...
stereotruckdriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 21:56   #3
dannat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: VIC Aust
Posts: 96
I use the zeiss, but find them a little too wet at times, leaves too much moisture I have o clean up
__________________
WO8x25, brunton15x51, pentax8x36 & 8x56dcf, SII 8x32
nex 5r, 16-50,55-210IS, OM lenses
Fieldscope 82ED, 25-75x, d-slr adapter
dannat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 28th June 2012, 23:55   #4
mooreorless
Registered User
 
mooreorless's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntingdon,Pa.
Posts: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
I use the zeiss, but find them a little too wet at times, leaves too much moisture I have o clean up
I guess you have to wait until these dry out some to finish. That is what I do. Seems to work.
__________________
Regards,Steve
mooreorless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 29th June 2012, 17:41   #5
elkcub
Registered User
 
elkcub's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie ghost View Post
My NIKON edg had some sap on the lens so I tried to clean it with a ZEISS cloth. It didn't work. I broke out my free SWARO lense wipe that came with my glass. It removed the sap, but streaked a little so I had to use the cloth again.

SWARO wipes are not easy to come by but they seem to work as good as the readily available ZEISS wipes. Both seem to streak though.

The SWARO wipe smelled better than the Zeiss though. They add a bit of freshner to cover the alcohol smell up.

Do you uses wipes and if so do you like them?
One day my car was covered with sap from a Magnolia tree. The 5mm translucent gobs of goo couldn't be removed with paint thinner, alcohol, turps, or anything else I could find in the garage. It was a mess.

Late in the afternoon a light rain began, and like magic the sap melted away. It was water soluble !!

Ed
__________________
Understanding optics is child's play compared to understanding child's play.
elkcub is online now  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 29th June 2012, 19:27   #6
newfie ghost
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: None
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
One day my car was covered with sap from a Magnolia tree. The 5mm translucent gobs of goo couldn't be removed with paint thinner, alcohol, turps, or anything else I could find in the garage. It was a mess.

Late in the afternoon a light rain began, and like magic the sap melted away. It was water soluble !!

Ed
Murphy's law
newfie ghost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 30th June 2012, 05:35   #7
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
One day my car was covered with sap from a Magnolia tree. The 5mm translucent gobs of goo couldn't be removed with paint thinner, alcohol, turps, or anything else I could find in the garage. It was a mess.

Late in the afternoon a light rain began, and like magic the sap melted away. It was water soluble !!

Ed
I saw something like that in a Science Fiction movie. Can't remember the name of it though.

Bob
ceasar is online now  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 1st July 2012, 02:59   #8
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Borscht Belt
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie ghost View Post
My NIKON edg had some sap on the lens so I tried to clean it with a ZEISS cloth. It didn't work. I broke out my free SWARO lense wipe that came with my glass. It removed the sap, but streaked a little so I had to use the cloth again.

SWARO wipes are not easy to come by but they seem to work as good as the readily available ZEISS wipes. Both seem to streak though.

The SWARO wipe smelled better than the Zeiss though. They add a bit of freshner to cover the alcohol smell up.

Do you uses wipes and if so do you like them?
I use Zeiss wipes regularly and keep one in my wallet for "emergencies" in the woods like zapping sap. A while ago, a young checkout girl saw it in my wallet when I took out my money to pay for the groceries, and she smirked at me. It didn't hit me until half way to the car that she thought the square foil envelop contained something else. :-)

Rather than rubbing hard with the Zeiss wipes or microfiber cloth for stubborn stains, try ROR (Residual Oil Remover):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Remover.html

<B>
brocknroller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 1st July 2012, 05:53   #9
pompadour
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tropics
Posts: 877
Not aware if this is well known - if so then sorry to repeat. I have found it works really well. Several kinds of oily smears on a lens can gently and neatly be removed by using a bit of toilet paper - much better than other widely available kinds of paper wipes - applied with just water, then - if necessary - dry. (I cannot figure it out - dry wiping does not work, and some of the stuff is not water soluble - maybe the water "edges in" between that and the lens coating?)

Last edited by pompadour : Sunday 1st July 2012 at 10:43. Reason: Changed "Many" to "Several", added last sentc, etc.
pompadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 1st July 2012, 10:21   #10
newfie ghost
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: None
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
I use Zeiss wipes regularly and keep one in my wallet for "emergencies" in the woods like zapping sap. A while ago, a young checkout girl saw it in my wallet when I took out my money to pay for the groceries, and she smirked at me. It didn't hit me until half way to the car that she thought the square foil envelop contained something else. :-)



<B>
good one!!!!

I use them on my eye glasses most of the time and they seem to work well.

Last edited by newfie ghost : Sunday 1st July 2012 at 10:23.
newfie ghost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zeiss v Swarovski Goosie Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 15 Saturday 10th December 2011 06:57
Swarovski EL or Zeiss Fl 8x42? MattX Zeiss 40 Sunday 1st November 2009 15:28
Flooding wipes out nesting birds (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 0 Thursday 12th June 2008 08:55
Swarovski 8.5 X 42 El Or Zeiss Victory 8 X 42 Fl TREEBUG Binoculars 1 Saturday 23rd June 2007 19:11
Swarovski 80 HD vs. Zeiss Diascope 85 Modo Swarovski 24 Thursday 14th December 2006 14:52

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.16685796 seconds with 21 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26.