• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Duck ID UK (1 Viewer)

robski

I have asked many people for years as to what these ducks are called and it seems to stump just about everybody. Normally you always find one on a lake with the mallards. Searching the web I came across a reference naming them as white mallard. What has made me inquired again this year is that I am seeing them in greater numbers. On my local lake a group of three have appeared 2 white and 1 brown and they seem to keep separate to the mallards. The attached is a group of 5 from another nearby lake. Can any duck expert put me out of my misery ?

Attachments

• wid_2428.jpg
    wid_2428.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 130
They're domestic mallards, probably Pekins or Aylsbury x Pekin crossbreeds of the kind raised for meat. Pure Aylsburys are said to have pink not yellow or orange beaks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back