• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help on magpie wanted-urgant!! (1 Viewer)

adz

hi all. My name is ads.

i am a lover of all birds but have a problem with a magpie,
I live in england and every morning at 5.00 i am awoken by a loud taping noise of a magpie on my roof.
I have tried putting a model of a dog on the roof and have tried putting foul smelling salts recomended by a shop assistant.

Can any one give me any ideas of how i stop the magpie from waking me up so early in the morning?

I dont want to hurt it as it doesnt know that its doing anything wrong.

any replys will be greatly appreciated.

regards

adz. ;)

Hi adz,

Welcome to BirdForum!

I would think your best option is to tie a grid of string across the top of the area it walks on, set about 5-10cm above the level. This is too high for it to hop over easily, too low for it to slip under. So it makes walking around a nuisance for it

Magpies don't have a significant sense of smell, which is why the smelling salts didn't work.

Michael

Can someone explain to me how to make a new posting on the owl forum? I need help identifying a bird that I saw and I have a poor digital image of the bird.
Thanks,
David

adz said:
I have tried putting a model of a dog on the roof and have tried putting foul smelling salts recomended by a shop assistant.

/QUOTE]

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Brilliant!

Dave.

Michael Frankis said:
Hi David,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Click on this link:
http://www.birdforum.net/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=428
and type away! Remember to add a title, too.

Michael

Thanks! That worked perfectly, but I still don't understand how I go into a forum and initiate a new thread without the link you gave me. Isn't there a "button" to start a new thread? Sorry I'm lost on this, but it doesn't seem to work the way the few forums I've ever been on have worked in the past.

Dave

David Krick said:
Thanks! That worked perfectly, but I still don't understand how I go into a forum and initiate a new thread without the link you gave me. Isn't there a "button" to start a new thread? Sorry I'm lost on this, but it doesn't seem to work the way the few forums I've ever been on have worked in the past.

It is actually fairly simple... here's what you have to do:

1) Go to the front page (http://www.birdforum.net/)
2) Scroll down until you find the sub-forum you want to place your thread under (i.e. "Owls"). Click on it to enter.
3) You are now in the sub-forum you want to place the thread under. Look above the first thread in this sub-forum; upper left. There's a botton called "New Thread". Click on it, and type away!

Good Luck...

helenol said:
What I want to know is who is going to clamber up on the roof and tie all that string? :D
How about the same bloke that tied on the plastic dog?
Best remedy for this is contact your local Gamekeeper.....

thanks for the advise machael

Hi its me again! thanks for the advise i tries the string and it worked..he hasnt woke me up since..

regards adz..

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back