• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

After the Storm (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
The squalls of the night which had blasted through, bringing rain and stripping summer leaves from bending trees, had abated to half a gale by the morning. Now the clouds stood bright edged with the morning sun behind. Every second brought scene changes with shifting cumuli scudding ragged from the moor tops and leaning over the valleys as if they would fall like a felled tower.

Two Golden plover struggled into the blast, tipping into light, flashing white under wings, black bellies between. Their rapid flicker blinking, taking them down to wall sheltered fields where cattle lay against the stones below the blow.

A flock of Linnets suddenly takes to the air above their thistles and spirals, buffeted and blown as they try to remain grouped: they could see a small falcon low against the land, the wind behind it and so fast it covered the earth in a flash, curving the contours at the valley's head, and was gone - almost merely imagined by the finches now falling back to the field.

Lower and the land no less blown, all life crouching. Swallows below trees and pressed against the meadows. Swifts above into the wind their rapid flight only holding them in place.

A family of Mistle thrushes rise and watch as a Kestrel slips out into the breeze to tackle a Sparrowhawk dark above the slope, turning on the wind. The two raptors clash with talons and tipped wings, then part. Pied wagtails skim to hiding, wary and hold still in the wall's crease, and Goldfinches skip to the canopy of a swaying tree.

The morning calms and the sun breaks, now a smaller breeze allows Swallows to rise and join the Swifts, Swifts now moving across the woods. The storm has passed.

What excitement you had this morning then H2. I'm glad to hear the weather is clearing - hope for us then LOL.

I think I had a Sparrowhawk around yesterday (it would be only the 2nd in 20 years if so). I heard an alarm call, and a flutter of wings as Starlings and Sparrows fled to the hedge. A Blue Tit on my window feeder froze and sat there for about 15 minutes with it's head turned towards the hedge. All was quiet - no twitters, no movement! I searched and searched but couldn't find anything.

Gradually they relaxed. And feeding resumed.

Thanks, Kits.

Another Hobby sighting from my garden this morning - after I got home having spent two hours looking!

Another Hobby sighting from my garden this morning - after I got home having spent two hours looking!

You'll probably find the nest at the end of the garden:-O

Sorry to tease H2. How frustrating though. Must be a bit of a puzzler for you.

Beautifully evocative once again :) All I've had this evening is the squawking of the Ring-necked Parakeets competing with the low rumble coming from Heathrow ;)

Had a few hours this afternoon on the local mudflats/beach loads of Redshanks, 5 Greenshanks, Black and Bar tailed Godwit, Wheatear and lots of juv stonechats as well as young Linnets still being fed, very windy tho, i think even the Little Egrets were fed up with the weather, nice wlk, and some decent birds enjoyed it;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back