• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatchers (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Into a crease of wooded land hidden in the fold of fields. Beech and birch, ash and oak, sweet chestnut and rowen: a secret haunt. And just above the meadow pocked with vole holes and patched in pink-purple with heathers, heathers thick with a dozen different insects busy and buzzing. Honeybees and hoverflies, wasps and bumbles, and flies by the score, sipping from scented blooms.

At the wood's edge a Spotted Flycatcher family perches on birches, the young still speckly but already adept. Juveniles follow adults from treetops to shrubs, and butter yellow Willow warblers forage around them.

A bunch of bright Bullfinches bob across the gap, calling softly. The chime of Siskins strikes from the sky. A Robin and a Nuthatch sit in an oak: a mismatched pair.

The day warms and four Buzzards circle up a thermal above the hill. Swallows sing. A Great-spotted woodpecker calls from the trees. The sun-started grasshoppers ratchet from the grass, where a Small copper tastes a fresh blade, turning to the sun.

Down to a ferny gully where the steam gurgles and splashes: a Wren with a maggot runs along the wall like a mouse. In a marshy field thick with sedge and thistle a hunting Common hawker skims blooms and dodges in dapples. Ghostly Large whites flap their sheets: tiny yachts tacking across the ocean of meadow.

Up on the reservoir Little grebes dive and House Martins' rumps blink white signals over the peat dark water and the clang of horses' hooves echo from the lane.

Oh nice one H2! I've never seen a young Spotfly, and it's ages since I've come across an adult - they're getting quite hard to find round here now.

Did I tell you I had a young wren in the house a couple of weeks ago? I've not even heard one singing in the garden in all the time I've lived here! It's been a strange summer for me.

Your powers of observation and description are far too good to be hidden from the world at large. Absolutely wonderful.

Spotted flycatchers

Thanks halftwo lovely post.Ive been lucky this year, had more than average count of spot flys. Had six in the garden at one point, think it was a family,Im just north of york.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back