• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird migration has started! (1 Viewer)

NCLady

Just checked in with www.humingbirds.net to see their migration map. We have first sightings in February in Lousianna and Florida. Won't be long now before they head north. Better get your feeders ready.

Oh, great! February sure zipped by quickly. Here it is March 1st, already, and Spring is only 3 weeks away!

BirdWatcher

Hi NC Lady
Thanks for the information about the hummingbirds. My one little guy usually arrives here the 1st of May. (southern New Jersey) I can hardly wait to see if he comes back and I hope he brings some friends with him. (Ruby-throated) Imogene

it sure felt nice to move the calendar from Feb. to March this morning- our first hummer arrived on May 7th last year, a bit later than usual but our spring was a cold one. I enjoy Lanny's website because it adds to the excitement of 'they're almost here'.. and any day the hummers arrive is a great day.
:bounce:

Thanks for the reminder, I just boiled the sugar water and ready to fill the feeders. Want to be sure to grab the eye of the early migrants.

I've kept a couple of feeders up thru the winter cause we have some stragglers that remained in the area all winter but I haven't seen any at my feeders. It's always a great feeling the anticipation of their arrival.

Guess this means I need to go dig the feeder out of the snow drift -- where it landed after being knocked off the eaves when I was knocking overhanging snow off the roof!

Seems impossible that they're here already!

But I'll have to wait until mid-late April to see 'em!

Yes, spring is in the air, at least in the Southern US! I have been putting out fresh sugar water, but so far no takers in South Texas. I expect to be surprised any time.

Vogelman

NCLady

Thanks for the info on the humming bird migration. As soon As I
see something I will let you know . Like I said I have my feeders
out and waiting.

My first Ruby-throated male arrived on March 27th. I've seen him every day since. Must be a new one as he's very shy.

NCLady said:
My first Ruby-throated male arrived on March 27th. I've seen him every day since. Must be a new one as he's very shy.

Hi NCLady,

Congratulations! Do you have an pictures you could post? Still waiting for my first Ruby-throated... Cheers,bob

I just checked the hummingbird migration site, and it appears that there is a hummer really close to where I live in Indiana!

Just had come in from hanging two feeders when I checked the site. Sure glad I got them out today. Will keep watching for the first ruby throat at my house!

First Feeder FOr me!

I was anxious to see that the "hummers" are migrating! I was wondering where I could see that migration map! Any links?

Also I just put out my first feeder ever. I can't wait to see them!

Jen

Bobky: I'll post the latest picture I have of a male ruby-throated hummingbird on the gallery. It's taken with my new camera, and I'm not too familiar with it yet, so the pictures are not that good.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back