• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bit of a rant (1 Viewer)

mike nesbitt

My new 40D arrived yesterday and I'm still in awe of it, however after upgrading from a 400D it soon becomes apparent that you haven't quite got the full package.
Your 400D remote doesn't fit the 40D............ Why not ???????
Your 400D Batteries are not compatible with the 40D........... Why not??????
To my mind there is no reason why a simple and necessary part like this should not be compatible throughout the whole range of not just canon, but any manufacturers cameras.
Also included in the box were charger, USB lead, Continental lead, Audio lead, straps. All gear that you've already got and shouldn't need any more of!!
I think that if you buy a body only, you should be able to get just a body only.
If you want the extra bits- then buy them too.
I'm not naive enough to think that not having all these bits would make the product cheaper, but in these days where people talk about carbon footprints!!
Over the last decade or so I have accumulated a huge box of various adaptors, leads, chargers etc. many of them still in their original polythene!
WHATS GOING ON?

I guess it's easier for Canon (and others) to supply all cameras with these leads rather than having them as seperate accessories to buy. Lets be honest it would be very annoying to buy your first Canon and find that the leads you needed were not included.

As for the battery issue... when Canon launched their 'budget' DSLR range with the 300D it did take the same batteries as the 20/30/40D. However as the demands from consumers was fro smaller, lighter DSLRs then next model (350D) was much smaller and as such needed smaller batteries. My 400D lasts ~800 shots on a single charge, the first charge on my 40D gave me over 2000 shots. Given that you can get two spare batteries from 7dayshop for less than a tenner it's not a huge issue.

to add
IF you were to sell you old camera then had to tell the buyer he will have to get the leads etc as you need them for your new camera im sure it would put people off but i do see were your comiming from i have a ton of stuff that just sits there never used or even open .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back