• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 40D Q&A thread (merged threads) (1 Viewer)

Hirundapus

Can someone tell me, do the in-camera 'Picture Style' settings - Standard, Portrait, Neutral, Faithful and their customizable versions - apply only to jpegs or do they have an effect on raw photos too?

If yes to the latter, what settings do folks use for raw birds? I had been thinking 'Neutral', with everything set to '0' was the way to set it?
Or what about taking jpegs, should it be set differently for them, and what settings do folks use for them for birds?

Any advice much appreciated.

Yes and no... if you use the picture styles and shoot RAW then the settings applied by these styles shows when viewing the RAW file in DPP. I use a 400D and use Faithful, but with a bit of in camera sharpening applied (I find this makes the first run through of editing easier and I can turn it down in DPP). I'm not sure if picture styles have any effect when using other RAW software.

Canon 40D 8GB - Sandisk Extreme IV ?

Will the 40D handle the download speeds of the 8GB - Sandisk Extreme IV CF card or will I be wasting my money.

Will the 40D handle the download speeds of the 8GB - Sandisk Extreme IV CF card or will I be wasting my money.

I did a test with a selection of 4GB cards...

I used my 40D with the lens cap on (easiest way I could think of to make sure all images were identical), manual focus and shutter speed set to 1/6000th. For each card I formatted it in-camera then fired off a series of shots until the buffer was full. Then I timed from when the shutter was first pressed to when the red light went out. Each card was measured twice.

I used the following cards, all 4GB - Sandisk (Ultra II, Extreme III and Extreme IV) and a Keymem 133x (bought for a pittance).

The speed of card made little difference to the number of shots fired before the buffer was full - between 20 and 21.

The time to clear the buffer did depend on the card speed. Here's my results...

Extreme IV - 21 s
Extreme III - 23 s
Ultra II - 26 s
Keymem 133x - 176 s (Yup, almost three minutes)

My conclusions:

1 - any of the three Sandisk cards would probably be indistinguishable in real-world usage.

2 - The Keymem card is going in the bin.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back