• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (1 Viewer)

hello
EOS Digital Rebel XTi
does anyone use this camera for birding?, i was wondering because it doesnt have spot metering.

also which camera was made first EOS Digital Rebel XTi
or EOS Digital Rebel XT ?
ty in advance , chris

Was first Rebel, then XT, then XTi. XTi had better focus system. Seems some places are dumping them, making the climate seem right for a replacement soon. I have used the XTi (and XT) many times. They are great. I make no claim to greatness for bird photography but I rarely use spot for birding in my style. Center weighted with exposure comp depending on background is my friend, but no perfect science.

What lens are you looking to use with it? In the 8+ MP category, the lens more makes the system than the camera.

ty matt
actually a friend is buying the camera , i am advising.
its there first dlsr so tthey are not actually birders , but was thinking in future they might.
i didnt think the lack of spot metering would be a problem.

my sister has just bought this camera with kit lense and another friend is about to buy this camera with the canon 17-85 f4-5.6 lense.
i hope they like it or im in trouble lol
ty again

As has been said the XTi was the upgrade from the XT and is a very good camera. It is fine for bird photography, lack of spot metering isn't really an issue the only downside is the slowish frame rate (3fps) but even that it fine in most situations. I was using this camera exclusively until this month, so images in my gallery from March to October this year will have been taken with this camera.

I used the 305D (XT) for a long time and found Partial metering fine for bird shoots (partial is just like a large spot covering 9% instead of around 3.5%).
I very often use Partial even with the 30D and 40D.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back