• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cardinal & Robin Feeding (1 Viewer)

Lancetx

Hello:

There are so many threads on this subject that I just got lost and decided to finally post my own. I live in west Texas and I thoroughly enjoy my Cardinals and American Robins.

I have squirrels that I do not want to feed. I understand that Robins are ground feeders as well. I am not sure if there is a feeder I can buy that will attract both and what food/seed is best for both cardinals and robins. Soo many sites out there that sell feeders.. I just have no idea what to get.

I know this is food/feed thread but do Robins ever nest in man made boxes or just the cup of mud/leaves they make in the trees.

Thank you very much.

Cardinals and robins

LanceTx, I am not familiar with robins as the many bluebirds we have must keep them chased away as they do purple martins and indigo buntings. I know however, that they don't eat seeds, but insects, earthworms and also fruit and berries. I suppose a platform near the ground with meal worms would attract them, along with placing out fruit (neither inexpensive) or having fruiting shrubs and trees in you lawn. Cardinals, on the other hand, eat primarily seeds and around here flock to black-oil sunflower seeds, which is all I feed. I have about 30 at my feeders in the winter (oh, for a telephoto lens) and love watching them. I hope this has been helpful.
Blessed, by red in the trees, Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back