• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2017 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Saturday, May 27:

Waterloo, Ontario

51) Willow Flycatcher

(This one was possibly the only flycathcher I've ever identified at night - it was singing, at about 10 p.m., in along Laurel Creek just north of U of W!)

Last edited:
223 acadian flycatcher
224 olive-sided flycatcher
Both state lifers. I think 224 is a lifer, at least since I knew what I was doing birding.:D

I managed to get some birding done today at the Kingsbury Water Park. Not too much about but I did manage to add Common Tern and a Cuckoo to my list for the year.

176. Common Tern
177. Cuckoo

Migration is now basically over and new birds are hard to find. However, today I managed to find two long-overdue flycatchers that I should have seen before now.

188. Great Crested Flycatcher
189. Alder Flycatcher

Dave

Today at the Zwillbrocker Venn on the German/Dutch border

188 Greater Flamingo
189 Chilean Flamingo
190 Icterine Warbler
191 Eurasian Golden Oriole
192 Lesser Whitethroat

Both types of Flamingo have chicks, but still at nest sites on the island. Not much movement away from nests. The feeding birds were close to the island.

Last edited:
The end of May and yet another visit to the Avalon Marshes, concentrating on Ham Wall. Along with the now regulars: Great White Egret, Glossy Ibis, Garganey, Hobby, Marsh Harrier, Cuckoo and Cattle Egret, added:

238 Red-footed Falcon
239 Little Bittern

Coming off some heavy work this past month, took a morning to pick up a local rarity that’s been cooperative:
367. White-eyed Vireo

This is my unofficial (i.e. not ABA strict) 300th Los Angeles County bird! :king:

Last edited:
This Friday turned into “skip day” and we took to the mountains and the desert ponds to take full advantage:

368. Mountain Quail (lifer)
369. Black-chinned Sparrow
370. White-headed Woodpecker
371. Black-throated Gray Warbler
372. Western Wood-Pewee
373. Clark’s Nutcracker
374. MacGillivray’s Warbler
375. Cassin’s Finch
376. Fox Sparrow
377. Pygmy Nuthatch
378. Green-tailed Towhee
379. Lawrence’s Goldfinch
380. White-faced Ibis
381. Horned Lark
382. Virginia Rail
383. Redhead

Last edited:
Saturday, June 10

Waterloo, Ontario.

52) House Wren
53) Great Crested Flycatcher
54) Indigo Bunting
55) Eastern Wood-pewee

This evening I had a completely unexpected bird fly low over my yard.

190. American Bittern

Bitterns are very scarce and seldom seen in this part of the state, so to have one fly over my yard, which isn't near any ponds or marshes, was quite a shock.

Dave

I've seen one bittern here in 2 years and maybe heard a second. Hard to see anywhere but I know a few patient photographers find them in NE. Even fewer least bitterns.

227 green heron
I have not seen many for two years, but this one was clearly a different profile flying than the common great blue heron. I only have 5 green herons for 2.5 years.

Last edited:
I have had a few days away in Cambridgeshire, Suffolk & Norfolk with a quick stop off at Rutland Water on the way back home. New birds seen along the way were:

178. Black-winged Stilt
179. Sedge Warbler
180. Stone Curlew
181. Hobby
182. Garden Warbler
183. Kittiwake
184. Little Tern
185. Sandwich Tern
186. Little Owl
187. Nightjar
188. Woodcock
189. Red-crested Pochard
190. Reed Warbler
191. Osprey

An impromptu family camping trip to Sequoia yielded a few nice birds:
384. California Condor (lifer)
385. Red-breasted Nuthatch
386. Red-breasted Sapsucker
387. Hermit Warbler (lifer)
388. Golden-crowned Kinglet

EDIT 6/25: Realized I left off nuthatch (added now); also was waiting on some feedback regarding a startling observation of what is now confirmed to be 2 California Condors in an area they haven't been reported (in eBird anyway) for almost 50 years near Sequoia. Pretty amazing way to get this lifer!!

Last edited:
Spotted a few more local birds in the past weeks, including a Wild Turkey stuck far up in a tree, pointed out to me while I was running...

23 May
145. Tree Swallow (Ray's Meadow Local Park US-MD)

4 June
146. Wild Turkey (Capital Crescent Trail at Rock Creek Trail US-MD)

10 June
147. Black-crowned Night-Heron (My House, Chevy Chase, US-MD)

Latest Lifer: 592 : White-cheeked Starling (Tamagawanogemachi Park, Tokyo, Japan; May 2017)

Last night in LA before a week on the east coast - celebrated by targeting some owls with some fellow locals, and boy did they put on a show!

389. Black-chinned Hummingbird
390. Northern Pygmy-Owl (lifer)
391. Spotted Owl
392. Flammulated Owl (lifer)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back