• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Pentax spotting scope (1 Viewer)

percyp

Hello,

I have recently bought a Pentax PF-80-EDA spotting scope and have a Manfrotto tripod and head for it. The head is a 700RC2 although I intend to upgrade this to the 701RC2. The problem I am currently having though is that the pin to stop the scope from turning on the head is too big for the scope. Are there different size pins I can use on the head that would fit the scope? Is the pin size on the Pentax different to the standard video pin size.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Percy

I bought a quick release plate for my 3130-same model number,at least on the package,as the original plate.The original had threaded holes(3)with a short screw which fit both my spotting scope and binocular adapter-the new one had unthreaded holes with a press fit pin(looked like a slotted screw,but no threads)that was too large in diameter to fit.I opened up the hole in the binoc adapter(cheap plastic) to make it work.NOT an option on something expensive!

One more quicky-my scope is a Pentax PF65EDA-should be the same size as your PF80EDA.Make sure the release plate has threaded holes and a REAL screw!

Hello,

Thanks very much for you assistance. I am now trying to find out if I can get the plate with the threaded screw as mine does have the press fit pin.

Regards

Percy

I have a plate that has threaded screws, but alas, had the same trouble you have - the screws don't line up correctly with the holes in the Pentax mounting plate, and are the wrong size.

RAH said:
I have a plate that has threaded screws, but alas, had the same trouble you have - the screws don't line up correctly with the holes in the Pentax mounting plate, and are the wrong size.
Your release plate may mount to your head 90 degrees relative to the way mine mounts on the 3130(I think that is why I chose the 3130 over a 700 series,despite the added weight)-in which case it may not line up.The screw aligns and slips into the hole in my Pentax PF65EDA base just fine.If the hole does align,but the screw is a bit big you could carefully open up the hole in the scope base(a miniscule amount).Can't think of many other easy options.Turning the scope 180 on the release plate may put the pin/screw in alignment with the hole in the scope bottom-your handle may be 180 out at this point,unless it can be reversed as it can be with my 3130.I actually use mine in this manner to keep the handle from poking me in the chest.When I bought the tripod from Eagle Optics,they recommended the 3130 head over the others for spotting scopes because of the release plate orientation,to the best of my recollection.Tom

In case anyone reads this post, I have solved the problem by buying a 200USS plate which is a anti twist plate for spotting scopes, given it a try and works well.

Yeah, I saw that plate online earlier. Interesting to hear that it works well, but it sure is expensive!

RAH said:
Yeah, I saw that plate online earlier. Interesting to hear that it works well, but it sure is expensive!

I too have just bought the same tripod/head combination and was just about to order the Pentax 80 ed angled when I thought I would check out the forum for other views. Is this plate all I would need to make my scope compatible with the tripod? This is my first scope and have no previous experience with the technical side of things. Is it easy to attatch? On a positive note, I looked through the Pentax for the first time and was very impressed - it's such a bright view.
Appreciate any detailed advice that will help solve the problem.

Jim

I use a Pentax 80 scope on a Manfrotto 128 RC head with Quick Release plate, and everything fits dead on. The hole in the scope base for the pin and pin in the quick release plate line up and fit dead on. One QR plate came with the head, and I bought a spare on a few years ago (~20 US$) which fits just as well. My old Kowa TSN had a hole for the pin which was slightly to small.

Ulli

Ulli said:
I use a Pentax 80 scope on a Manfrotto 128 RC head with Quick Release plate, and everything fits dead on. The hole in the scope base for the pin and pin in the quick release plate line up and fit dead on. One QR plate came with the head, and I bought a spare on a few years ago (~20 US$) which fits just as well. My old Kowa TSN had a hole for the pin which was slightly to small.

Ulli

Many thanks for that Ulli. Just spoke with a dealer here in the UK. He says he can't imagine there being any problems with this scope and tri/head combo. He also said that if things were not quite aligned a £2 thread would solve it.
By the by, how do you rate the ed 80? Had my first view yesterday and thought the image was superb.
Jim

Last edited:
Concerning the alignment of the Pentax PF-65 support plate (perhaps different than the plate on the 80?) and the quick release plate of the Manfrotto 700RC2 video head - i.e. the standard 3157N rectangular quick release plate - I read several entries in this topic that say the screws should align just fine, and several (including one from me) that say they don't align.

Just to be clear - the main 1/4 bolt that connects the plate with the scope works FINE. What does not align are the 3 holes that surround the main bolt (on 3 sides of the main bolt). After screwing the main bolt into the scope, none of these 3 holes aligns correctly with any of the other holes on the scope bottom. It doesn't matter which way you turn it, since the distance from the main bolt to each auxiliary hole in the plate is the same - i.e. they are all equidistant around the bolt.

So, you cannot screw a small bolt into one of the auxiliary holes and then into the scope bottom to get it to stop the scope from twisting.

The 200USS plate mentioned above looks like a good solution, but as I said earlier, it sure is pricey ($54). However, I am opening this discussion again because I discovered another solution - the 3157NR plate - see it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...481&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It is descibed on the B&H site as: "Finally, a solution to the tired problem of unwanted movement between gear and quick release plate. This new plate, which works with all RC2-accepting (3157N) Bogen quick release assemblies, features a metal lip which can be positioned in front or in back of the camera/tripod collar to eliminate rotation."

It only costs $23 and I just got one. It fits perfectly on the scope and slides into the 700 head fine. I haven't tried it in the field yet, but it is difficult to see how the scope could twist with this plate securely tightened.

RAH said:
Concerning the alignment of the Pentax PF-65 support plate (perhaps different than the plate on the 80?) and the quick release plate of the Manfrotto 700RC2 video head - i.e. the standard 3157N rectangular quick release plate - I read several entries in this topic that say the screws should align just fine, and several (including one from me) that say they don't align.

Just to be clear - the main 1/4 bolt that connects the plate with the scope works FINE. What does not align are the 3 holes that surround the main bolt (on 3 sides of the main bolt). After screwing the main bolt into the scope, none of these 3 holes aligns correctly with any of the other holes on the scope bottom. It doesn't matter which way you turn it, since the distance from the main bolt to each auxiliary hole in the plate is the same - i.e. they are all equidistant around the bolt.

So, you cannot screw a small bolt into one of the auxiliary holes and then into the scope bottom to get it to stop the scope from twisting.

The 200USS plate mentioned above looks like a good solution, but as I said earlier, it sure is pricey ($54). However, I am opening this discussion again because I discovered another solution - the 3157NR plate - see it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...481&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It is descibed on the B&H site as: "Finally, a solution to the tired problem of unwanted movement between gear and quick release plate. This new plate, which works with all RC2-accepting (3157N) Bogen quick release assemblies, features a metal lip which can be positioned in front or in back of the camera/tripod collar to eliminate rotation."

It only costs $23 and I just got one. It fits perfectly on the scope and slides into the 700 head fine. I haven't tried it in the field yet, but it is difficult to see how the scope could twist with this plate securely tightened.
Hi there...I havent read this whole thread in detail,but it seems to me that doesnt matter if the holes in the plate and those on the scope mount are aligned......if you set a small bolt throught the auxiliary plate ,and it rubs on the scope plate....the applied pressure-friction would prevent any rotation....wouldnt it????????

mayoayo said:
Hi there...I havent read this whole thread in detail,but it seems to me that doesnt matter if the holes in the plate and those on the scope mount are aligned......if you set a small bolt throught the auxiliary plate ,and it rubs on the scope plate....the applied pressure-friction would prevent any rotation....wouldnt it????????
Perhaps in theory, but in my experience, it doesn't work in that case. There is a lot of leverage on the scope happening if you for example lay it down in a trunk while still attached to the tripod with the tripod's pan adjustment tightened. The scope gradually gets turned, till by the end of the day the scope is pointing off at an angle. Very annoying.

Also, in the case of the Pentax P-65, the holes ALMOST line up, so a bolt or screw thru the plate will be partially inserted into the hole in the scope and can abrade and damage the threads on the scope's hole.

RAH said:
Perhaps in theory, but in my experience, it doesn't work in that case. There is a lot of leverage on the scope happening if you for example lay it down in a trunk while still attached to the tripod with the tripod's pan adjustment tightened. The scope gradually gets turned, till by the end of the day the scope is pointing off at an angle. Very annoying.

Also, in the case of the Pentax P-65, the holes ALMOST line up, so a bolt or screw thru the plate will be partially inserted into the hole in the scope and can abrade and damage the threads on the scope's hole.
Hi,...didnt you said that there are three holes,positioned around the mount screw on the auxiliary plate?..the holes on the pentax scope are all in line,(all of them are threaded except for one) so one ,at least ,of the threaded holes on the plate must be on an area where a screw could be thightened without damaging the scope ......?

mayoayo said:
Hi,...didnt you said that there are three holes,positioned around the mount screw on the auxiliary plate?..the holes on the pentax scope are all in line,(all of them are threaded except for one) so one ,at least ,of the threaded holes on the plate must be on an area where a screw could be thightened without damaging the scope ......?
Yes, the 2 holes on either side don't line up with any holes on the scope (which, as you say, are in a line). However, the scope does not have a flat base plate - it has ridges (hard to describe). It just so happens that each hole on either side is partially aligned with the very edge of a high ridge on that side, so there is no good place for a screw to push against. I tried it and the screw kind of grinds into the side of the ridge. Doesn't do the baseplate on the scope any good at all!

RAH said:
Yes, the 2 holes on either side don't line up with any holes on the scope (which, as you say, are in a line). However, the scope does not have a flat base plate - it has ridges (hard to describe). It just so happens that each hole on either side is partially aligned with the very edge of a high ridge on that side, so there is no good place for a screw to push against. I tried it and the screw kind of grinds into the side of the ridge. Doesn't do the baseplate on the scope any good at all!
And yet ,there are three threaded holes on the scope's base,to achive the desired balance,couldnt you attach the aux .plate to another hole ,and see if the holes on the plate fall out of the ridges??????

Yes, that is an idea (I've just been using the center hole). However, since I've already purchased the 3157NR plate, it's not worth the bother. The new plate holds it much more rigidly than any set screws could, plus it is much easier to use. Just tighten the regular main bolt and it instantly aligns the scope to point exactly straight ahead and stops it from ever twisting even the slightest amount. In fact, I'd recommend the head for other uses - for example, with a camera, it will, as I said, instantly square it on the tripod to point exactly straight ahead, and it will stay that way.

RAH said:
Yes, that is an idea (I've just been using the center hole). However, since I've already purchased the 3157NR plate, it's not worth the bother. The new plate holds it much more rigidly than any set screws could, plus it is much easier to use. Just tighten the regular main bolt and it instantly aligns the scope to point exactly straight ahead and stops it from ever twisting even the slightest amount. In fact, I'd recommend the head for other uses - for example, with a camera, it will, as I said, instantly square it on the tripod to point exactly straight ahead, and it will stay that way.

Problem Solved!,and 23 $ is not too bad,..........i thought i saw something about a 200 dollars????? fast release plate?????.......it must be a good plate,thats for sure...........,even a 55$ must be a good plate.....what the heck ,a 23 dollars plate ,i bet is a good plate!!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back