Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 23rd October 2007, 11:05   #1
joseph123
Uzef

Smile Id needed

At my local pond in roche,cornwall i think there is a cayuga but it has a white ring around it's neck i don't have a photo because i dont have a video camera, can you scan normal photos on to the computer?
Ther is also three other ducks that aren't mallards,thats what the other ducks are,can someone please post cayuga like ducks or offer a good website so i can get my ducks identified.
I know this post is really vague but any help at all would be great

Last edited by joseph123 : Tuesday 23rd October 2007 at 12:57.
Old Tuesday 23rd October 2007, 14:15   #2
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Hi Joseph,

All the ducks you describe are almost certainly variants of domestic ducks, which are all originally descended from wild Mallards. Cayuga, for example, is a domestic breed but once it goes feral and breeds with other domestics and/or wild mallards you can get a bewildering array of variations. Try searching on here for "yuck ducks" or "manky mallards" or see http://10000birds.com/manky-mallards...d-mallards.htm for more.

Actually, it's not quite true that all are descended from Mallards - there is also a feral population of Muscovy ducks - originally a native of South America these are found more and more often among "duck pond ducks". Wild Muscovies are largely dark but doemstic birds were bred white so these can be almost any pattern of black and white. However, being genetically very different to northern species including Mallards they rarely hybridise and hybrids are infertile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscovy_Duck

And welcome to BF!

Graham

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: