• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Fury 6.5x32 (1 Viewer)

I was ready to throw my Fury's in the junk barrel out back. Now I'm not sure again. he he

I took the Rangers out today and realized something. I came back to check on it and realized it was true or seemed true. The Rangers have a slight rolling ball effect when panning that the Fury's don't seem to have. Also I realize how superior the overall edge to edge sharpness is in the Fury, however much the Rangers seem to have the edge inside the sweet spot. Does this make sense??

Last edited:
I was ready to throw my Fury's in the junk barrel out back. Now I'm not sure again. he he

I had them out today and was once again impressed with their optical performance. I can honestly say that whatever of the three bins I have out on a given day seem like about as much as one could want. UNLESS I'm comparing them. In other words if I just take them out without any motive other than to enjoy looking any of those bins are enough. They are all so close in optical performance for me that I could be fully and truly happy with any one of them.

I realize this attitude leaves me forever on the optics periphery in this forum but I think that's the right place for me and honestly about all I'm capable of. I speak for the average Joe and Jane and not the expert.

The Fury's are an awesome pair of binoculars. :t:

I was just pulling your leg with the junk barrel comment. Thanks for your opinions on the different binoculars.

Bruce

I had them out today and was once again impressed with their optical performance. I can honestly say that whatever of the three bins I have out on a given day seem like about as much as one could want. UNLESS I'm comparing them. In other words if I just take them out without any motive other than to enjoy looking any of those bins are enough. They are all so close in optical performance for me that I could be fully and truly happy with any one of them.

I realize this attitude leaves me forever on the optics periphery in this forum but I think that's the right place for me and honestly about all I'm capable of. I speak for the average Joe and Jane and not the expert.

Funny you should mention that because I was having the same type of epiphany today and is one of the reasons I suggest spending some alone time with a bin.

I was just comparing the Sightrons and the Fury's and left my Nikons out of the mix and I was thinking "Wow! These are really nice bins! I could really be happy just using either one as my primary bins and saved a lot of money in the process". I found myself wondering how in the world I was finding any faults in sharpness or resolution. They really are just great bins. But....ya know....I just had to do it. The Nikons were right there in the truck. So I pulled out the SE and the Premier. And with just one look I was ruined again. Wow! Fine details resolved!! Quite amazing!! But at a price!!

It makes me wonder if it's really worth the extra money. Especially if I could be so happy with the likes of the Sightrons and Fury's. I'm not even talking alpha status yet, but I would have to believe my both Nikons are very close optically. My SE's cost me $475 and the Premier's were $699.

So in a way I'm glad I have yet to try any Alpha bins. Even though I know in the future I will own one, as I can appreciate the fine details, even at a price. Yet it is good to know that I can just as easily appreciate the great views offered by the Sightron and the Fury and revel in the joy they bring.

Be greatful for what you have and enjoy the heck out of it.

John

John

That shows how short term the human memory is. I've experienced this over the years with optics and audio equipment comparisons.

Bruce

Funny you should mention that because I was having the same type of epiphany today and is one of the reasons I suggest spending some alone time with a bin.

I was just comparing the Sightrons and the Fury's and left my Nikons out of the mix and I was thinking "Wow! These are really nice bins! I could really be happy just using either one as my primary bins and saved a lot of money in the process". I found myself wondering how in the world I was finding any faults in sharpness or resolution. They really are just great bins. But....ya know....I just had to do it. The Nikons were right there in the truck. So I pulled out the SE and the Premier. And with just one look I was ruined again. Wow! Fine details resolved!! Quite amazing!! But at a price!!

It makes me wonder if it's really worth the extra money. Especially if I could be so happy with the likes of the Sightrons and Fury's. I'm not even talking alpha status yet, but I would have to believe my both Nikons are very close optically. My SE's cost me $475 and the Premier's were $699.

So in a way I'm glad I have yet to try any Alpha bins. Even though I know in the future I will own one, as I can appreciate the fine details, even at a price. Yet it is good to know that I can just as easily appreciate the great views offered by the Sightron and the Fury and revel in the joy they bring.

Be greatful for what you have and enjoy the heck out of it.

John

John

That shows how short term the human memory is. I've experienced this over the years with optics and audio equipment comparisons.

Bruce

I'm finding it's even more short term when I choose to focus on experiencing rather than remembering or being stuck in ideas. I notice this dynamic in kids alot. They get lost in the experience instead of ideas. It helps to just get lost in the experience of the bins instead of getting lost in ideas of what should or should not be there. Kinda what Black Crow was talking about when he said about just taking them out without any motive other than just enjoying looking.

John

Kids definitely know how to live in the moment. We would do well as adults to follow that example as much as possible.

Bruce

I'm finding it's even more short term when I choose to focus on experiencing rather than remembering or being stuck in ideas. I notice this dynamic in kids alot. They get lost in the experience instead of ideas. It helps to just get lost in the experience of the bins instead of getting lost in ideas of what should or should not be there. Kinda what Black Crow was talking about when he said about just taking them out without any motive other than just enjoying looking.

John

you guys are spot on about the temporary nature of human sensory memory. Bruce brings up a good point with audio gear; audio and HT is even a bigger hobby for me than optics and birding, and the transience of sensory memory is a constant issue when comparing gear.

I had spent most of my time in recent days comparing the Fury to the ZR Vista, but today I was out and grabbed my ED3's to accompany the Fury that is living in my car these days. It was a rare overcast, occasionally drizzly day here in San Diego, and I was sort of blown away by the increase in brightness, clarity, neutrality, and magnification of the ED3's. Not a huge difference, but the combination of the slightly warmer color cast and slightly lessened brightness + contrast just made the view through the Fury seem a bit "dingy" compared to the crystal clarity of the 8x43 Zen-Ray ED3.

when I was just using the Fury, I was totally satisfied, and still am.... but in that A/B side-by-side test it's surprising (and I guess a bit reassuring) that the pricier bins ARE indeed better.... but if you don't have them side- by-side, and just ENJOY yourself, it's pretty minor stuff.

So in a way I'm glad I have yet to try any Alpha bins.

not to burst the bubble, John, but the Nikon Premier and SE are most certainly "alpha" bins in terms of optical quality. Those two models rank #5 and #6 in allbinos rankings: http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back