• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 6x25 Porros (1 Viewer)

Very interesting. I haven't seen this binocular, but looking at the pictures just now I can see that this type of naked prism design could make a wide field binocular like this possible because there's no wasted space inside a conventional body. Notice that the objectives and eyepieces are mounted directly to the prism shelf so that the back prism hypotenuse extends almost to the back of the eyepiece. I imagine the objective focal length could be as short as 75-85mm, so the eyepiece focal length might be 12.5-14mm which would only need a fieldstop of 15-16mm for a 66 degree field, so the prisms wouldn't need to be very large. Construction quality appears to be first rate. Looks potentially like an excellent theatre glass.

Last edited:
I've seen a number of bins made in this general style. Pentax, Bushnell (probably made by Pentax) and Nikon have all made them. The design seems to have been popular in the 50's and maybe 60's, but has fallen from favor more recently. Nikon sold a 7x15 commemorative edition not too long ago, but that's about it. I've always wondered what to call this design. Would "naked prism" be it? I wonder why it isn't popular anymore. It's rare to find a compact with a wide AFOV. These Pentax have a 4mm exit pupil and a 60 deg AFOV. A modern equivalent with enough eye relief for eye glass wearers would be a real gem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back