• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wimberley P40 plate and Canon 300/2.8 IS lens. (1 Viewer)

jack2964

Hi all,
I already own a Wimberley P40 plate and recently acquired a Canon 300/2.8 IS lens. I intend to mount the rig onto the full Wimberley gimbal head (Mk2) and am wondering if the P40 would do the job or do I really need to purchase the P30 which I know is the recommended plate for the 300.
If I could, it would help save me a few bucks as I have drained my kitty dry with the latest acquisition.
Thanks in advance for tips/advice.

Hi all,
I already own a Wimberley P40 plate and recently acquired a Canon 300/2.8 IS lens. I intend to mount the rig onto the full Wimberley gimbal head (Mk2) and am wondering if the P40 would do the job or do I really need to purchase the P30 which I know is the recommended plate for the 300.
If I could, it would help save me a few bucks as I have drained my kitty dry with the latest acquisition.
Thanks in advance for tips/advice.

It will work perfectly. I have a P50 (+ Kirk equivalent) plate that works just fine on anything from my 70-200 f2.8 to 600 F4 and my spotting scope as well! I am certainly not going to waste money on a shorter plate unless I get another lens. The only difference is that the P40 is a bit longer than the P30 - so what it is not long enough to get in the way - so save your money and just use it! You will be happy.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back