• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Failinis' learning curve. (1 Viewer)

Failinis

Hey everyone.

I am at the moment, filling up sketchbooks with birds over the summer holidays to get a head start when I return to school.
That means I am far too lazy to do "finished" work, so I only have sketches at the moment.

The only finish thing I have is this pheasant lino cut made for a hunter friend of mine and a budgie for a pet shop owner.

From Sep onwards I will be doing more finished bits, mainly through printmaking but I have my roots in drawing, hence the compulsive need to document things in sketches .:-O

Looking through this forum, there are so many talented members, and I would love to gain any advice and tips from them.

Thanks.

Attachments

• tumblr_mqwaixkDvV1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mqwaixkDvV1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 100
  • tumblr_mpvwlrq8Dn1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mpvwlrq8Dn1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 81
warm welcome ...and you started with very nice pictures

Thank you :)
I hope I keep this thread going.

Seagull sketches.

Attachments

• tumblr_mr1uq9cDQL1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mr1uq9cDQL1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 71
  • tumblr_mr1uq9cDQL1r8k79eo2_500.jpg
    tumblr_mr1uq9cDQL1r8k79eo2_500.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 64
  • tumblr_mr1uq9cDQL1r8k79eo3_500.jpg
    tumblr_mr1uq9cDQL1r8k79eo3_500.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 76
A friend in Africa, doing missionary priest stuff for over 50yrs.
Decided to do a collared dove holding olive leaf and then the oak is from the Irish name of the city we came from, to remind him that we think of him.

I really am not happy with it, I guess this one is a draft as I shall re do.

Attachments

• tumblr_mrgp3gRuIM1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mrgp3gRuIM1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 78
why you not happy...it is your special kind of art ,unique

and I like the seagull in the last sketch

I'm not an artist at all, and not a connoisseur of linocuts (though I do enjoy them). You've probably seen Ken's work (abstract bird), and he and others will probably have more ideas. I think all bird art tries to capture the liveliness of birds, but that is a particular challenge with these kind of print. Your pheasant is wonderful because you've caught that life in the step, but the picture doesn't have to show such a big movement to give the sense that the bird is doing something (not posing). I wonder if you can think more about what the bird is doing, and then change the gesture (wrong word?) a bit.... just a novice's thoughts.

why you not happy...it is your special kind of art ,unique and I like the seagull in the last sketch
I am not sure why I am not happy, maybe it never turned out the way I planned in my head.
Either way it is god practice. Thanks Lykos.
I done plently more sketches yesterday, I will post them soon.

I'm not an artist at all, and not a connoisseur of linocuts (though I do enjoy them). You've probably seen Ken's work (abstract bird), and he and others will probably have more ideas. I think all bird art tries to capture the liveliness of birds, but that is a particular challenge with these kind of print. Your pheasant is wonderful because you've caught that life in the step, but the picture doesn't have to show such a big movement to give the sense that the bird is doing something (not posing). I wonder if you can think more about what the bird is doing, and then change the gesture (wrong word?) a bit.... just a novice's thoughts.

Oh yes, I seen Ken's lovely work, as far as I remember he has great backgrounds in his, which is something I rarely do.

I know what you mean by "movement" - its does not need to be doing a back flip or anything, just a more natural pose/posture of being natural in its environment.

I think if I keep doing sketches and plans I will get a feel for the normal movements and actions of each bird.
I am most familiar with pheasants/wood pigeons/starlings and such as I see them daily, I may focus on them, get a feel for their actions :)

Thanks for your advice! :t:

From Sep onwards I will be doing more finished bits, mainly through printmaking but I have my roots in drawing, hence the compulsive need to document things in sketches .:-O

Nothing wrong with a compulsive need to document things in sketches.;);)

Nice to see someone else who is working in lino as well. You can't go wrong with sketching and I'm sure it will have a good effect on your prints.

Nothing wrong with a compulsive need to document things in sketches.;);)

Nice to see someone else who is working in lino as well. You can't go wrong with sketching and I'm sure it will have a good effect on your prints.

I love your lino's, I was snooping about your thread earlier.

Love the lino's!!

They are so hard to get the hang of, but the method is so addictive and relaxing (well, so long as you avoid stabbing your hands)

Some quick sketches.

Attachments

• tumblr_mrxknj1NPn1r8k79eo4_500.jpg
    tumblr_mrxknj1NPn1r8k79eo4_500.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 60
  • tumblr_mrxknj1NPn1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mrxknj1NPn1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back