• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED models - how do they compete ? (1 Viewer)

ThoLa

Hello everyone!

Is there any experience with the new ED line ?
Particularly the 8x32 ?
Particularly in comparision to the "Big 3" ?

Looking forward to any comments,
Tom

Hi all this is my first post! I'm suprised by the lack of posts in reference to the Pentax ED binocular? I upgraded from 8x32, 10x50 DCF SP's along with a handfull of other decent bino's. I tried at length many others including more expensive ones. I have the 10x43 ED's and find they are the ones I use day in and out. Excellent in all respects and the ED glass does make a difference. I thought more people would show an interest in these? Field of view is very usable and for the price I think these compare very well with Euro brands? Thanks.

When you factor in the cost and performance the ED is a top value within a few percent of performance of the top euro glass. To get that extra 2% of performance of the Euro glass it will cost you double the price. I preferred the ED image to the somewhat more expensive Nikon LX (another top performer).

Having borrowed my girlfriends pretty much continuously to compare to Ultravids and Ultravid HD I found the Pentax ED delivers about 98% of the performance at 50% of the price of the euro models. In some situations the ED view is better than the Ultravid and in some situations the Ultravid provides a better view. The ED is a bargain for top FL glass.

Optically I noticed the color on the 8X43 ED compared to the Ultravid is slightly less saturated (in my opinion). Meaning the red on a cardinal is a slightly deeper red on the Ultravid than on the ED. Overall the color is very good. You might not notice this if you were not doing a side by side comparison. Not a complaint by any means just an observance. Internal reflection (which can rob contrast in some conditions) is a tiny bit better on the Ultravids. Chromatic aberration (CA) is just about non existent on the ED similar to the Zeiss FL. I do prefer my Ultravids to the ED but not by much at all and when you compare the Ultravid HD 5 yr parts and labor warranty my prefrence is reduced a bit more.

Physically I observed the rubber skin on the pair we are using “floats” a tiny bit on the metal parts like Pentax did not glue it on (more so in warm weather). Again not a complaint.

I still plan to pick up a pair of 10 or 8 X 50 EDs for owl’ing.

The Pentax warranty will free you from worrying about your binocular investment so you can concentrate on birding. Its obvious Pentax values its customers. The warranty speaks for itself. - "PENTAX Sport Optics Worry Free Lifetime warranty allows for full repair or replacement to the original purchaser even if damaged by fault. A minimal charge of $19.95 will be assessed for each repair request to cover handling and return shipping."

The ED is certainly worth a look if you are shopping in the $1000 to $2000 price range. You might find yourself preferring them to the others and buy scope with the left over money!

What they lack in snob appeal they make up for in performance.

I did post about the ED in 2007. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=90307

Last edited:
Great post, I definetly agree with you!!! I was really pleased with my purchase, I have no regrets, great glass. I have not noticed any problem with the armoring on any of my Pentax bino's?

Here's a recent binocular review that includes the 8x43 Pentax ED's. My personal "go to" binos is a pair of Nikon 8x42 LX L's, and this review ranks them at least as good as the Nikons. Had the Pentax ED's been available when I bought my Nikons, I certainly would have considered them instead. I'm very happy with my other Pentax binoculars and spotting scopes.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/8x42.html

Great read just summs up my thoughts on owning these as well. If I had it to do again I might have gotten the 8x43's. But, these and my DCF 10x50 SP's are my only 10x bino's the rest are 8x.

I just recently test drove a few pairs of bins after saving hard for a while.
included in that group were the pentax 8x42 ed bins and other top names all around £500-£800 after which i only spent £250 on a pair of vortex vipers 8x42 which i found to be unbelievable for the money equally if not brighter then the pentax's and in my opinion pretty much as sharp.
In conclusion i did have the money for much more expensive bins but am over the moon with my vipers, the feel and build quality are superb and not to mention hands down the best warranty (No quibble totally transferrable lifetime of product no card to fill in).
I had enough left over to buy a Panasonic dmc fz18 Camera yeah!!!!

Darryl

Darryl, I'm fortunate to have the Vipers & the Pentax ED. And while the Viper's are indeed excellent the ED's are superior! Their color, contrast as well as resolution top the Viper's. In regards to CA the Pentax are better and I feel lense flare was less evident on the Pentax. Now price goes to the Viper's. But, what you get in the ED's for price is also excellent in comparison to the top 3-4 binocular brands. Especialy since Pentax price has leveled off. Both should be considered best buy's in there price category's. I don't think any body could go wrong with purchasing either, though I think one needs to put every thing in perspective when making direct comparison's. Being able to compare directly in the field in the real world as I have been able to do brings out +'s & -'s of each. I sold my Leupold 8x42 Pinnacles and replaced them with the 8x42 Viper's and I cannot be happier but, that being said my favorite bino that I grab more often than not are the Pentax DCF ED 10x43. Every-body has their own opinion's, I'am glad you are so stoked about you're Viper's and I indeed hope you get great year's of enjoyment using them. Stereo...

Darryl, I'm fortunate to have the Vipers & the Pentax ED. And while the Viper's are indeed excellent the ED's are superior! Their color, contrast as well as resolution top the Viper's. In regards to CA the Pentax are better and I feel lense flare was less evident on the Pentax. Now price goes to the Viper's. But, what you get in the ED's for price is also excellent in comparison to the top 3-4 binocular brands. Especialy since Pentax price has leveled off. Both should be considered best buy's in there price category's. I don't think any body could go wrong with purchasing either, though I think one needs to put every thing in perspective when making direct comparison's. Being able to compare directly in the field in the real world as I have been able to do brings out +'s & -'s of each. I sold my Leupold 8x42 Pinnacles and replaced them with the 8x42 Viper's and I cannot be happier but, that being said my favorite bino that I grab more often than not are the Pentax DCF ED 10x43. Every-body has their own opinion's, I'am glad you are so stoked about you're Viper's and I indeed hope you get great year's of enjoyment using them. Stereo...

Someone mentioned Pentax ED has 2 ED glasses vs one ED glass for Viper. Not sure whether that's true. But it might explain why Pentax ED is superior.

I first looked through a pair of Pentax bins at the recent Birdfair here in the UK. I was very impressed with both the 8x43 and 8x32 ED models. I am about to upgrade and was considering the Nikon 8x32 HGL. The Pentax view is equal to the Nikon (to my eyes) and they feel so light. Have not checked the spec - just an impression. The man overseeing the Pentax stall echoed the thoughts from earlier in this thread by saying that he felt they were closing the gap on the european big boys in terms of quality whilst keeping the price competetive. They are certainly not £400 inferior to the top end products I looked through on the same day.
Jim

I first looked through a pair of Pentax bins at the recent Birdfair here in the UK. I was very impressed with both the 8x43 and 8x32 ED models.

I too spent quite some time comparing these bins against all the other major ball players at the recent UK Birdfair, without a doubt these bins are top rate and in comparison with the supposed 'Big 3' are a real bargain. They would most certainly fit the bill if I were purchasing new bins, but I'm more than content with my Nikon 8x32 HG.

Pentax are certainly producing increasingly good optics now and the 8x43 ED is a very good buy in my opinion - sharp edge to edge, ergonomic and light at a nice sensible price.

Bill

I've been shopping around for a high-quality, mid-priced binocular and noticed that Amazon.com is now offering the Pentax DCF ED 8x32 for US $514.05. This is a HUGE price drop...is Pentax discontinuing/replacing this model? If so, does anyone know what will be replacing it?

And if anyone owns the DCF ED 8x32, what's your impression? I'm looking for a good general-purpose birding binocular, and this ranks pretty high on my list, although I've yet to handle one.

I resisted as long as I could...then I went back and clicked on the "place order" button. Guess next week I'll see how these compare to the DCF SP version firsthand.
Only one left at that price.

Last edited:
Nice Owen!

I look forward to hearing your comments. The EDs have received little feedback since their release.

I don't think I have any unreasonable expectations, and am not disappointed in the SP version in any way. I've thought that if something happened to them, I'd gladly pay the normal $499 price for a replacement, so the chance for the ED version at an even lower price was too much to pass up.
I know there's some additional ED element/s over the SP somewhere in there, and a difference in the coatings. I hope to see a little more color saturation, and the elimination of what little off-axis CA there is. That seems realistic. Based on some of the reviews it might be a tad brighter?

Did someone here get the other one? I see the lowest price now is $669 at Amazon. There is one for sale in the classified section here for $600.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=122500
The seller has a couple of excellent pictures that show the coatings. In contrast, the coatings/reflections on the SPs are green.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back