• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

papilio 8.5 close focus question (1 Viewer)

gwsudiro

Indonesia
hello.. ^_^

do the Papilio 8.5x21 have close focus performance as near as (as good as) the 6.5x21?

because I read both specs, it stated the same...

for your kind help, many thanks before...^_^

best regards

Galih

Yes, they both work down to 10" or 0.5m (outside the USA ;) ). I have both.

I find the 6.5 more generally useful as the DOF drops with increaseing magnification. The 8.5x works best on a tripod for close up use (insect nest watching).

hello mr.Purcell

thanks for the clarification...^_^...

ah yes, the DOF! so the 6.5 is more convenient to use I suppose...

thanks again mr.Purcell ^_^

Yes, they both work down to 10" or 0.5m (outside the USA ;) ). I have both.

I find the 6.5 more generally useful as the DOF drops with increaseing magnification. The 8.5x works best on a tripod for close up use (insect nest watching).
Kevin whats the difference in brightness if any? i statyed away from the 8's thinking there just wasn't enough objective to feed them. How does the performance compare FOV aside?

The only time I've used them is out in the sunshine (they are insect watching bins) so I've never noticed a significant difference in casual use but there will be one (given that magnification control brightness) with the 6.5x being brighter of the too on less bright days.

Overall though I think for butterfly watching and the like (handheld) the 6.5x are the better choice. The narrower FOV and extra shake makes the 8.5x a bit more a pain to track flitting butterflies.

It's more of a wash when the target is perched or doesn't move around much (e.g. crawling insects or even taking a close look at a flower). The 8.5x tripod mounted looking at a fixed location is quite good (the usual "shakes that you never noticed" disappear).

Oh and that typo ... 18" or 0.5m close focus.

Do you have light pollution in Lucknow?

Bob

I see what you are getting at, the aperture is way small to allow night sky viewing. I already have a pair of 10x42 which are good for the purpose but I am too scared to carry them with me while travelling, and once in a while when I'm out in a country area or in a hilly region and look upwards, there is no binocular nearby.

rtx,
I had an 8.5x papillo which I gave to a friend to use while watching his Humming Bird feeders. As I remember they did focus to infinity and could be used for general birding. I even used them on soaring hawks and turkey vultures but only on bright days. I suppose they would be better than no binocular on nights with good seeing but I never tried them that way. Probably because I live in a heavily light polluted area.

Bob

rtx,
I had an 8.5x papillo which I gave to a friend to use while watching his Humming Bird feeders. As I remember they did focus to infinity and could be used for general birding. I even used them on soaring hawks and turkey vultures but only on bright days. I suppose they would be better than no binocular on nights with good seeing but I never tried them that way. Probably because I live in a heavily light polluted area.

Bob

If you have a pair of binoculars its a good time to point them towards the night sky these days. You can easily see Jupiter and its 4 largest moons!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back