• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (5 Viewers)

Hughie raised some good points with his three questions first, do we dismiss these? Well Phil answered that one. For an "official" list I think one would have to dismiss anything that hasn’t been accepted by the relevant body (County Recorder / BBRC).
What is official and what is not? Again we have to have a Benchmark to work from so if it’s not accepted by the relevant body it’s not official. Who decides? Well for listing purposes we have to give all records a chance hence a County Recorder but if birds are not submitted that’s up to the individual. So at the end of the day Phil is right, the checklist should only include sightings accepted by the county recorder. As regards Goshawk there is only one accepted record 26th Feb -30th March 2000 per Birds Of The Sandwell Valley. hope this helps
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi YY - I dragged out the 2000 WMBC annual report and would confirm that a Goshawk was accepted on 7 days between the range of dates you quote. The finders were Paul Hackett and TC Hextell.

List has promised, I have left Avocet and Red Kite on the list but they are not included in the total till they have been accepted by the County Recorder,so this is has near has I can get to some sort of official list for Sandwell Valley, List standing at 220.If I have missed any birds out witch have been accepted by the county recorder let me know and I will add them to the list, hope this helps
Good Birding YAMYAM

Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Black-necked Grebe
Fulmar
Leach’s Petrel
Manx Shearwater
Gannet
Cormorant
Shag
Bittern
Little Egret
Grey Heron
White Stork
Spoonbill
Mute Swan
Bewick's Swan
Whooper Swan
Pink-footed Goose
White-fronted Goose
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Barnacle Goose
Brent Goose
Egyptian Goose
Shelduck
Mandarin Duck
Wigeon
Gadwall
Teal
Mallard
Pintail
Garganey
Shoveler
Red-crested Pochard
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Scaup
Eider
Long-tailed Duck
Common Scoter
Velvet Scoter
Goldeneye
Smew
Red-breasted Merganser
Goosander
Ruddy Duck
*Red Kite
Marsh Harrier
Hen Harrier
Goshawk
Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
Osprey
Kestrel
Merlin
Hobby
Peregrine
Red-legged Partridge
Grey Partridge
Quail
Pheasant
Water Rail
Spotted Crake
Corn Crake
Moorhen
Coot
Oystercatcher
Stone Curlew
*Avocet
Little Ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Dotterel
Golden Plover
Grey Plover
Lapwing
Knot
Sanderling
Little Stint
Temminck's Stint
Pectoral Sandpiper
Curlew Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Dunlin
Ruff
Jack Snipe
Snipe
Great Snipe
Woodcock
Black-tailed Godwit
Bar-tailed Godwit
Whimbrel
Curlew
Spotted Redshank
Redshank
Greenshank
Green Sandpiper
Wood Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Turnstone
Red Necked Phalarope
Grey Phalarope
Arctic Skua
Mediteranian Gull
Little Gull
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Iceland Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Kittiwake
Caspian Tern
Little Tern
Sandwich Tern
Common Tern
Arctic Tern
Black Tern
Razorbill
Little Auk
Puffin
Rock Dove (feral pigeon)
Stock Dove
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Turtle Dove
Ring-necked Parakeet
Cuckoo
Barn Owl
Little Owl
Tawny Owl
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Swift
Kingfisher
Hoopoe
Wryneck
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Skylark
Sand Martin
Swallow
House Martin
Tree Pipit
Meadow Pipit
Rock Pipit
Water Pipit
Yellow Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
Waxwing
Dipper
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Black Redstart
Redstart
Whinchat
Stonechat
Wheatear
Ring Ouzel
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Song Thrush
Redwing
Mistle Thrush
Cetti's Warbler
Grasshopper Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Marsh Warbler
Reed Warbler
Lesser Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Garden Warbler
Blackcap
Yellow-browed Warbler
Wood Warbler
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Goldcrest
Firecrest
Spotted Flycatcher
Pied Flycatcher
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Willow Tit
Marsh Tit
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Red Backed Shrike
Great Grey Shrike
Jay
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Hooded Crow
Raven
Starling
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Chaffinch
Brambling
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Siskin
Linnet
Twite
Redpoll
Crossbill
Bullfinch
Hawfinch
Lapland Bunting
Snow Bunting
Yellowhammer
Reed Bunting
Corn Bunting 220

Last edited:
Hughie raised some good points with his three questions first, do we dismiss these? Well Phil answered that one. For an "official" list I think one would have to dismiss anything that hasn’t been accepted by the relevant body (County Recorder / BBRC).
What is official and what is not? Again we have to have a Benchmark to work from so if it’s not accepted by the relevant body it’s not official. Who decides? Well for listing purposes we have to give all records a chance hence a County Recorder but if birds are not submitted that’s up to the individual. So at the end of the day Phil is right, the checklist should only include sightings accepted by the county recorder. As regards Goshawk there is only one accepted record 26th Feb -30th March 2000 per Birds Of The Sandwell Valley. hope this helps
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Yam Yam.
Thanks for the reply. Agree with most of what you said, except for "birds that are not submitted that's up to the individual"
Why. if any birder finds a rare or scarce bird put information on local media, pagers or bird information sites then not inform his/her County recorder or other relevant bodies?
Why put out information in the first place? Surely this data is important to fellow birders & more important to those keeping official records, census etc.
Even common birds have their place in recording numbers, breeding pairs etc.
Isn't that what the county recorder is there for. The clue is in the title.

Cheer Hughie.

Anyway.....Sandwell Valley this afternoon.....combined totals for Swan pool and Forge Mill lake

11 Cormorant
11 Mute Swans
58 Canada Geese
8 Gadwall
68 Tufted Ducks
16 Shoveler
3 Pochards
Teal (only 3 counted on FML, presumed more in the marsh)
6 Buzzards (including 5 circling FML together)
1 Sparrowhawk
174 Coot
64 Lapwings
17 LBB Gulls
145 BH Gulls
9 Chiffchaff (including 2 singing birds)

Quite a few dragonflies around Swan pool.

This afternoon Swan pool only 2.30pm-3.30pm......

1 Little Gull (juvenile)
4 Chiffchaff
1 Kingfisher
2 Buzzards
70 Coot
30 Tufted Ducks
3 LBB Gulls

Little Gull flew in from the north with small flock of BH Gulls flew round the pool for a few minutes then flew east, probably just over to Forge Mill lake.

@Steve Zodiac I have found the record for the fulmar at Sandwell Valley it was on the 31st May 1991 seen resting on Swan Pool for around 20 minutes but no record of who saw it hope this helps

Adrian

Will be at Sandwell Valley RSPB Saturday 5th October if anyone fancies a meet up just p/m me will update on my blog with full review of my visit including ALL BIRD SPECIES seen and locations as I only intend to do the RSPB area and the Forge mill lake side time restrictions on the day

Last edited:
@Steve Zodiac I have found the record for the fulmar at Sandwell Valley it was on the 31st May 1991 seen resting on Swan Pool for around 20 minutes but no record of who saw it hope this helps

Adrian

Will be at Sandwell Valley RSPB Saturday 5th October if anyone fancies a meet up just p/m me will update on my blog with full review of my visit including ALL BIRD SPECIES seen and locations as I only intend to do the RSPB area and the Forge mill lake side time restrictions on the day

I wouldn't mind meeting up some time in the future. I cant make t on October the 5th as i'm away. I would like to meet the guys who go to Sandwell Valley fairly regular to maybe learn more about the location and the species there. I am a wildlife artist and photographer from Stourbridge, Brierley Hill. Cheers, Matt. http://matthewlissimore.com/

I'm going to be heading down the Valley tomorrow early doors to see what's about before the place fills up. Apparently there's large work parties around the RSPB end both days this weekend so there might not be too much to see during the day.

A MEGA report from this morning thanks to Worcester birding.

Spoonbill reported at Sandwell Valley RSPB flew west over Forge Mill Farm at 10am.

Link below to this wonderful update site run by Brain Stretch

http://www.birdingtoday.co.uk/midlands_bird_news_129.html

Getting up early paid off this morning! Saw this beauty flying over the car park at Forge Mill Farm. Spotted it an put two of the Sandwell regular 'old boys' onto it.

Been checking my 'Birds of the Sandwell Valley' book and it's only the second spoonbill ever seen in the Valley. The first bird was in 1999.

I feel like a lucky boy!

Also got some stunning views of a jack snipe from the hide. Made a video of it that can be found here:

http://youtu.be/52M-z7g6kOU

Hi all, nice morning in the hide, got the adult Med Gull quite quickly. Over 20 Cormorants were around today which is a real high, also 41 Lapwing were around and we had good views of a Snipe on the island.

Thanks

WMBB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back