• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied or White (1 Viewer)

HnehpetS

Wannabe Birder
I'm just a humble past birder. I've always been confused by the Pied/White Wagtail question. I've presumed that all black and white wagtails were Pied, ever since I was a nipper, when somebody first pointed one out. Now I took the attached picture and was going to title it as a Pied Wagtail, but thought I'd check my Collins which suggests to me that in fact instead of Pied it's a White so called it that. A friend has questioned this. The diagnostic in my Collins says that a Pied should have a glossy black back. this has a grey back.
I'd welcome any views and some sort of it's a "......". Thanks
Stephen.

Attachments

• Pied_MG_6498.jpg
    Pied_MG_6498.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 188
pied can have a grey back (scapulars and mantle) but almost (?) has a blackish rump. i think i can spot a bery dark rump indicating it is a pied (which would be the expectable ssp.)

Thanks for your input Lou.
A couple more pictures.

6507 is the same bird
3994 is a different bird, about the same time the year before, same location

Attachments

• _MG_6507.jpg
    _MG_6507.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 101
  • _MG_3994.jpg
    _MG_3994.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 42
The black mantle is diagnostic for a Pied, when it has one, but this doesn't mean that all Pied have black mantles. Female Pied, particularly 1st summers, can have grey mantles.

Personally I can't the rump on either photo but think that it is a Pied because the grey mantle seems too dark in the photos. Also the grey on the flanks seems quite dark and too extensive for a White Wagtail.

That Hunstanton bird looks pretty awesome - great photo too!

Now, while I understand you don't believe my bird is a white wagtail, I thought I'd have a quick shufti through the Gallery to see if I could identify for myself the differences between Pied and White, but from what I can see nearly all the birds identified as White, particularly photographed in Britain, are in fact Pied. Therefore, could somebody please provide me a link to a Gallery picture of a 'banged to rights' White Wagtail so I can see for myself what the diagnostic differences are. thanks for your help.

The colour ringed one has to be a Pied? fair enough heavy contrast could make the back look dark but those flanks couldn't be much duskier

No doubt about it being a white. On route to Iceland via Ireland's west coast. Ringer is some fella called Dennis Elphick, you've probably heard of him ;) 2010 was a bumper year for us for White Wagtail, northerly winds held them up for weeks.

All the best.

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide this information. I can't say I'm particularly convinced that I could identify the difference in the field, as there seems to be so much overlap between individuals. I think I'll continue to use my old principle - where I live, if it's black and white it's a Pied.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back