• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Outstanding Customer Service (1 Viewer)

crinklystarfish

Ireland
I have had many Leica sports optics over the years and they have generally been of very good quality and utterly reliable.

In 2001 I purchased a Trinovid 8x32BN which provided years of high quality service. However, late last year it developed a focussing issue (would not quite focus out to 'infinity' in the non-diopter adjusted barrel.

I contacted the Leica customer service team in Germany who, within a couple of hours, had arranged to collect the Trinovid to diagnose the problem.

A few days after collection I was pleased to receive a communication stating that the problem would be fixed free of charge.

A few weeks then elapsed during which time I was able to track the progress of the repair via Leica's online tracking system. Things seemed to be progressing well but then I was contacted again by the customer services team who informed me a part required was not currently available.

My immediate disappointment was soon put behind me though, as quite spontaneously the company offered to supply a brand new Ultravid 8x32HD as a direct replacement free of charge.

I gratefully accepted and within a few days had the new binocular delivered.

It is fair to say that I am utterly impressed at this service: everything just happened around me. The only thing I had to do to bring about this incredibly generous upgrade was answer a couple of e-mails and hand over and receive packages from the courier.

The Ultravid, incidentally, is awesome. There are subtle optical improvements across the board over my ageing Trinovid and it performs more like a premium x42 than a x32. It's also comparatively light and a noticeably more compact.

Fantastic service and a fantastic binocular.

That is about as good as it could possibly be. Reports of poor customer service from Leica have about come to a halt, as have reports of sticky focus knobs. All we need from them now is a new $3000 alpha.

Ron

Just trying to encourage them!

But there is a bad thing here, for those of us who bought our Trinovid BA/BN used and don't enjoy a warranty. Thirteen years is not a long time for such a big investment. If they can't support a binocular because it's that old, it doesn't look good. I'll try to be careful with mine.

Ron

Just trying to encourage them!

But there is a bad thing here, for those of us who bought our Trinovid BA/BN used and don't enjoy a warranty. Thirteen years is not a long time for such a big investment. If they can't support a binocular because it's that old, it doesn't look good. I'll try to be careful with mine.

Ron

Greetings. It is my understanding that in Europe the warranty follows the binoculars, and not the owners as the case in the US/Canada. Thus, Leica owners in the continant are in a better situation to continue using the warranty of their binoculars in comparison to here.

Your concern is valid Ron, and I am very careful in using the Trinovids I have to prolong their life as much as I can (what about waterproofing seals? I do not know). However, I have started to question my marginally close to irrational attachment to the BA/BN models, and relatively close to moving completely on to other models/makes.

Best regards.

I broke an eye cup on my ultravids over the weekend. Fortunately I work in London so popped into the Mayfair workshop to see what they could do. They replaced both my eye cups, giving me back the old one that wasn't broken as a spare, and gave me new lens covers, all for free.

The whole service was excellent and it was clear that they were going out of their way to impress. They succeeded.

I broke an eye cup on my ultravids over the weekend. Fortunately I work in London so popped into the Mayfair workshop to see what they could do. They replaced both my eye cups, giving me back the old one that wasn't broken as a spare, and gave me new lens covers, all for free.

The whole service was excellent and it was clear that they were going out of their way to impress. They succeeded.

I think it is about five years ago that every Leica dealer got a case full of replacements, like eyecups and objective covers, to distribute for free to the consumers if they needed one. So, nothing new here!!
The same counts for Zeriss and Swarovski.

Jan

I think it is about five years ago that every Leica dealer got a case full of replacements, like eyecups and objective covers, to distribute for free to the consumers if they needed one. So, nothing new here!!
The same counts for Zeriss and Swarovski.

Jan

Was he wrong to tell us that he was happy with the service Leica gave him?

Bob

Combine the OP's experience with Jan's information and we get the great conclusion that this is unlikely to be a one-off lucky experience and should be replicated across all of the big brands.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back