• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon A95/Leica APO connector advice. (1 Viewer)

senatore

I have just bought a Canon A95 camera and need a connector for my Leica APO 62 scope.

I thought I had found the solution with the Baader connector as recommended in other BF threads but another BF member said his gave poor results when used with the this camera and scope combination.

Has anyone successfully connected this combination or got any advice for this frustrated digiscoper ?

MAX.

Oh Dear no replies.I hope this does not mean Leica scopes cannot be connected to a camera.Allthough I believe Leica make an adaptor which I would think will be horrendously expensive.

Yesterday I tried to make my own connector out of old torch casings and a plastic bottle top.I was hoping the results would be classed as "poor" but I am afraid they were classed as "appalling".

MAX.

senatore said:
Oh Dear no replies.

Perhaps most people had a hard day birding yesterday Max ;)?

I had read that the Canon was viable; if you don't get any replies today, give this Thread a 'bump' again tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andy.

Why did the Baader reportedly not work well, Senatore?

It's such a straightforward gadget - and it certainly does work with the camera (I've got a Baader adaptor) - that I can't understand what the problem might be...

MAX,

Let me first assure you that the Baader adapter does not affect the optics of the camera/scope at all - it just keeps the two together at the desired distance. IMO the only problem with the Baader-bracket is that it is a little clumsy and may look bulky on your compact and pretty scope. The combination giving "poor results" would require a little more analysis ;)

1. Maybe the most common complaint about poor image quality comes when one tries to photograph a distant object by zooming in with both the camera and the scope. This is especially risky with a 62/65mm scope. The small Leica works very well at 14x-20x powers, but pushing above that will increase shake, atmospheric disturbances etc. The closer the target and the more light the better.

2. The Leica eyepieces have very long eye-relief (A Good Thing™) and the Canon A95 requires relatively little ER (also A Good Thing™). These together mean that you can easily bring the camera too close to the scope and there may appear mysterious black shadows in the camera (the same "blackout-problem" as some have with their binoculars). You just have to make sure that the camera is far enough from the scope: the edges of the field of view must be sharp.

3. Some people may be tempted to attach totally unsuitable cameras onto the adapter brackets with large camera platform - just because they can. Unfortunately those ultra long "super-zoom" cameras are not good for digiscoping.

The Leica APO and the Canon A95 are excellent digiscoping partners. Baader adapter surely works with them as long as you find the correct distance between them and don't try to exceed their optical limits.

The other - more compact - option is to use tube adapters: you need a filter adapter (eg. http://www.lensmateonline.com/A80adapter.htm) and a step-down ring (52mm to 28mm). This way you can use any of the Coolpix 4500 compatible adapters. One very good tube adapter for angled scopes is made by Spidertech (http://www.spidertech.fi/), but there are many less expensive options, which may work well for you.

Hope this helps, :t:

Ilkka

I have a Canon A70 which I use with my Leica Apo 77. I think the bayonet fixing on the A90 is the same. I have a LA-DC52C Canon FILTER adapter screwed directly into a London Camera Exchange adapter with a 52 thread . No stepdown rings or whatever. Fits perfectly over leica eyepiece which is common to either 77 or 65 model .

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back