• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Papilios experience anyone? (1 Viewer)

I thought it may be worth alerting readers of this thread to this link

http://www.tecno.co.uk/Store/s44365/0/Binoculars/Pentax/65x21-Papilio/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=2133&comp=y

I ordered a pair on Friday, and got them on Monday. A steal at £56.81 and free postage! Initial impressions are very good. They appear well made for the price and the close focus is amazing. Images are bright and sharp.

The only downside I can see, is that the strap seems to have its own unique fixings. It probably isn't possible to use anything other than a Pentax Papilio strap on these. An observation rather than a complaint. Hey, they're only just over £50!

trealawboy said:
I thought it may be worth alerting readers of this thread to this link

http://www.tecno.co.uk/Store/s44365/0/Binoculars/Pentax/65x21-Papilio/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=2133&comp=y

I ordered a pair on Friday, and got them on Monday. A steal at £56.81 and free postage! Initial impressions are very good. They appear well made for the price and the close focus is amazing. Images are bright and sharp.

The only downside I can see, is that the strap seems to have its own unique fixings. It probably isn't possible to use anything other than a Pentax Papilio strap on these. An observation rather than a complaint. Hey, they're only just over £50!

Trealaw boy,

Thank you. I have been trying to get more information on the Papilio's and you have just killed two birds with one stone for me. This thread has answered my questions and you have just found a price for them that i like.

I did not realise that Robert (Swissboy) had started this thread some time ago...sorry.

Last edited:
6.5 x 21 Papillio

Tried these out on Friday and was amazed at the close focus - I found them focusing down to around 20 inches, very good image/optical performance not just for butterflies/insects but also at medium range and beyond. Although very lightweight the build quality seemed good. With twist up and down eyecups, (although no mention of being waterproof) these seem a great little unit if your checking out butterflies this summer......thats what the owner bought them for and has been very pleased with them.

Worth a look if you want a very good affordable lightweight pair of compacts.

.....................What more can I say? Everyone should own one. I like to hike and backpack, and this will be the perfect binocular for these activities. .........

I have the 6.5x21s and they are fun, fun, fun; but I may have to buy another pair because my wife is taking them away from me.

edj

Damn! Missed this thread and just bought a pair of 6.5s from amazon for £77! Even at that price I am delighted with them. My normal bins are leicas and the optical quality compares very favourably. The close focussing is superb.

Definitely a good buy.

Pete

I have a variety of binoculars including Canon IS and 8.5x EL's. My 6.5x Papilio's were a retirement present to myself :eek:)) They are superb, a magnificent achievement by Pentax. I find myself opting to use them whenever the weather is fine and there is the likelihood of insect watching, in addition to birding. They are particularly useful when watching damselflies, when the EL's at closest focus just cannot get me close enough for a certain ID.

They will probably get a deserved rest over the winter if I can resist opting to use them for their supreme lightness and comfort!

I own a pair of 6.5 x 21s. Many others have said how fun these are. I'd like to add that small children (e.g. my 7 year old son) love them. I paid about £60 including postage from tecno.

Watch out for the collimation on these. I love the idea of this binocular. After trying to get good looks at some small Egyptian artifacts in museum display cases recently, I decided it was time to buy a pair. I tried three pairs in a store and all three were badly collimated.

Watch out for the collimation on these. I love the idea of this binocular. After trying to get good looks at some small Egyptian artifacts in museum display cases recently, I decided it was time to buy a pair. I tried three pairs in a store and all three were badly collimated.

Confirmed.
Had the same problem.
Miscollimation on a new one, straight out of the box. Had to send it back.

Tom

Can you explain what that is ?, beginner and rather alarmed at this as I buy online,
regards donald

Donald,

Don't worry, I bought mine online at Tecno and they were perfect. I think that you will be unlucky to get a duff pair, and if you do you can always return them.

Paul

P.S. They are brill :t:

Can you explain what that is ?, beginner and rather alarmed at this as I buy online,
regards donald

Donald,

Binoculars need to have the left and right barrels properly aligned so the eyes can easily merge the images. That's collimation. It can be off vertically (vertical divergence), horizontaly (horizontal divergence or convergence), tilted or off in several ways at once. Tilt and vertical divergence are the easiest to test in a store. When I was attempting to buy the Papilios I looked through the binoculars at the horizontal line made by the top of the front door of the shop at about 30'. I slowly backed my eyes away from the eyepieces until I saw two circles with the horizontal line of the door top visible in each. Ideally the horizontal line will run through both circles at exactly the same level. In two of the pairs I tried the line appeared to be 3/4-1" lower in one circle than the other. In the third pair it was about 1/2-3/4" off. The minimum Japanese standard for vertical divergence is 4 minutes of arc which (if my math is correct) works out to about 0.4" at 30' which seems like a pretty lax standard to me. I prefer for the collimation to be correct, but in the real world many binoculars are at least a little off. I can probably tolerate the minimum standard but no more than 1/4 inch difference at 30 ft in a 6-7X binocular would be better. Much more than that and the eyes have to work too hard to merge the images.

Henry

Donald,

... Ideally the horizontal line will run through both circles at exactly the same level. .....

Henry

One problem for wearers of eyeglasses: The lines might not fit properly, even with perfectly collimated binoculars, if your spectacles are not adjusted properly to your eyes. I need to wear my glasses all the time due to astigmatism. Thus, I find it hard to quickly test the collimation of a pair of binoculars.

I have the 6.5x version and I think they are great . BTW at close focus they are 8x so think wice about getting the 8.5x version since they will be harder to hold steady and have a smaller FOV and exit pupil.

According to my experience, 6.5 MODEL is a good choice. Good color rendition and resolution.

And the price for papilio is much cheaper in Japan.

Worth trying Ebay - I got a new pair for £50 inc postage a couple of weeks ago. Currently some there for a 'Buy it now' price of £49 (nothing to do with me, I hasten to add!)

David

Hello,

Definitely a good choice (x6.5 version).

Strangely, not any other binocular maker seems anxious to take up the challenge, and offer a similar model, up to now!

Perhaps because this is a too small marketing niche?

Thank you Pentax to take the plunge, for all the connoisseurs...

By

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back