• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FLM ball heads: anyone used one? (1 Viewer)

Leif

Has anyone used one of the larger FLM ball heads? The 58 looks interesting and could presumably support either a camera and lens, or an ~80mm scope. It claims to allow tilt and pan functionality when a knob is tightened, but not having seen one, it's hard to know how well it would work. Thanks.

Leif

Leif,

I doubt that you would need the 58 Series with an 80mm scope - the 38 should be quite adequate. I tried out both 32 and 38 versions with my 65mm Zeiss Diascope and bought the CB32F-O, which I use with a 3/8" Manfrotto quick release adaptor. There are not many ball heads in this size and price range with a friction adjustment, which I consider essential for use with a scope.
The tilt function, which is available on the 38mm and 58mm heads allows you to lock out two degrees of freedom (pan and "roll") but a separate pan function is provided on these anyway.
If you require more than 30° elevation you can drop the spindle into the "vertical format" notch.
Here is a link to the German distributor, which might help. http://www.maki-flmcenterball.de/

Regards,

John

Last edited:
John Russell said:
Leif,

I doubt that you would need the 58 Series with an 80mm scope - the 38 should be quite adequate. I tried out both 32 and 38 versions with my 65mm Zeiss Diascope and bought the CB32F-O, which I use with a 3/8" Manfrotto quick release adaptor. There are not many ball heads in this size and price range with a friction adjustment, which I consider essential for use with a scope.
The tilt function, which is available on the 38mm and 58mm heads allows you to lock out two degrees of freedom (pan and "roll") but a separate pan function is provided on these anyway.
If you require more than 30° elevation you can drop the spindle into the "vertical format" notch.
Here is a link to the German distributor, which might help. http://www.maki-flmcenterball.de/

Regards,

John

Hi John: Thanks for the comments. The main reason for wanting the big one is for photography. The need is to damp vibration rather than merely support the equipment. I have a Slik 800 which is fairly big but vibrations are a problem. And if I buy an even bigger lens in future, I don't want to have to upgrade the head.

The Manfrotto 468MG is the alternative.

Leif

Leif,

Despite similar maximum quoted loads I doubt that the Manfrotto 468MG would offer similar stability to the 58mm FLM. If the tilt function of the latter is not an essential, you could look at Arca Swiss, Burzynski, Foba, Kirk or Markins.

Regards,

John

John Russell said:
Leif,

Despite similar maximum quoted loads I doubt that the Manfrotto 468MG would offer similar stability to the 58mm FLM. If the tilt function of the latter is not an essential, you could look at Arca Swiss, Burzynski, Foba, Kirk or Markins.

Regards,

John

Sadly I cannot really justify purchasing one of the other much more expensive heads. I would expect Manfrotto 468MG to be more stable than the FLM 38 since on ball size alone (50mm) it sits between the FLM 38 and FLM 58.

Leif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back