• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

I guess I'll stop complaining, I thought it was really cold here since I had to put on a wool shirt....Love it when you post these kind of sketches, it's like a drawing class for me to see how you go after your subject, and how it develops as you go...thanks for the post

I've been quiet lately having had the creativity knocked out of me by the move to Paddington and shifting all my son's stuff over to his new flat as he finally flies the nest for good. Looking at these fab sheets may very well be just what I need to get me moving again, thanks Tim.

Mike

I don't need to reiterate what the weather's like - our daytime teperature of approx -6 is probably as mild as anywhere in the whole of Britain. Thought I'd be a tad braver today (my goldeneyes didn't reappear in the 'garden') so I took to the car for a brief jaunt up the slidey roads to Loch of Stenness. A pair of gadwall didn't hang about, but the flighty geese were a squeak more settled today (surely the shooting ban hasn't had such an effect so immediately ;) )and it was nice to get the big scope out for a change. The seal pups were surrounded by solid ice, all bar the 50 metre pool of brackish open water surrounding the tiny skerries on which they were settled.

Attachments

• DSCN1061.JPG
    DSCN1061.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN1062.JPG
    DSCN1062.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1063.JPG
    DSCN1063.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN1064.JPG
    DSCN1064.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN1065.JPG
    DSCN1065.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 73
Superb sketches Tim. I know you shouldn't compare your own work with others, but I'd fill up 3 A4 sketch pads before I could get life like this in 'em. Were the goldeneye and geese done in 'one sitting' or is the result of a few hours watching and drawing? Inspiring stuff indeed. I can't wait for't weekend!

Cheers

Russ

I just enjoyed the goldeneye and eiders, had nothing to say about them, just really enjoyed them, the top lot of the last geese page are some of the finest lines I've ever seen. -6 sounds nice and toasty! Didn't bother checking how cold it was here, but when you can slide across a marsh without getting your feet wet, you know it's cold.

The square ars*d geese are spot on and the simplicity of that last seal is astounding, so much expressed with so little it's the perfect scribble.

Got down to -8 the other day...I stayed in the car!

Mike

Great bevy of sketches Tim, Goldeneyes are full of observations. Geese are not a little special, wonderfully drawn.
Nice to hear your in tropical climes Tim. Down to a scary -22 degrees here, the coldest I've ever known here. Sketching just not possible, which is a shame as plenty of goodies around. Black Throated Thrush, Arctic Redpoll and lots of lovely Twite, at least the camera works ok!

These should have been posted about a week or so ago when Colleen was talking about field sketches. What perfect examples! They all are as elegant as could be but at the same time seem to catch the particulars of certain birds at exact moments. They are real beauties.

And in freezing weather no less! That bad weather surely must be having some good effects judging by the recent work of you and Nick!

Popped out to try and find an accessible goose flock this afternoon to no avail. Giving the day up as a non-starter (drawing wise) and harnessing mad-dog up when I spotted one of the goldeneye drakes from the window. Although nearly dark and pestered by mad-dog, just had to take the last of the usable light making a few more studies of this smart little duck.

Russ- regarding the previously posted sheets - the goldeneyes were all done in the same session, the geese and seals a day or two after. I'm still feeling very rusty with my drawings, but time and work should grease that off a tad.

Attachments

• DSCN1068.jpg
    DSCN1068.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1069.jpg
    DSCN1069.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 66
if you're feeling rusty then you could do yourself a bigger favour and not draw goldeneye, I find even when I draw them right (and check) they never look right! Superb studies again, gorgeous birds that I don't see enough of here, only the odd one or two, and then rarely smart males like that.

Dead right Nick - they're curious little things; the head changes shape quite often and those sub-orbital patches both help and then hinder the description of the headshape. Very smart things though and I shall persist until they look like goldeneye.

particularly like the bulging neck on the snorkelling bird - the sort of thing that you can only draw if you've seen it!

Well, I can only put it off for so long!
Having returned from visiting Ma in hospital (again) last weekend, I’ve been finding anything to do except real work. The trip itself was a bit of a pain, missing my connecting flight at Glasgow on Thursday (remember Thursday – ‘don’t travel unless absolutely necessary’ was the police advice) meant taking another flight (and an additional £100) only to be informed that flight was delayed by 4 hours. Eventually arrived in Yorkshire at 1am, Friday.
I did have an interesting Birder Tick though in Glasgow Airport. Fresh from filming Meercats around the savannahs of Cumbernauld and whispering oh-so sweetly about the lionesses of East Kilbride, the Big Cat Diarist himself, Lord King of Simonshire was indulging himself in a massage at the airport Relaxation Lounge. How on earth anything can be described as relaxing, when the massage is being performed in full view of one’s fellow travellers is so beyond me. Ah well – I suppose it may have killed 10 minutes or so.

A couple of trips out with the sketchbook have started to form an idea or two for a painting – greylags in a snowscape. Not a new idea, but one from real encounters.

Here’s an oil sketch for one of the characters I hope to include – only two colours (Prussian blue and burnt sienna) plus white over a peachy-coloured ground.

Attachments

• grey1.jpg
    grey1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 91
Regards the recent weather conditions Tim...i ventured out into the field today..[and these photo's illustrate how i feel about all this snow that's about]....;)

ps...please forgive my interruption and daftness...this has been brought on by the lack of birds and inclement weather...

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back