• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Touring Australia (1 Viewer)

At Melanda Falls
258. Spotted Catbird - notice how dark the Catbird is - almost black. the photo in my guide book is light green.
259. Topknot Pigeon

Attachments

• Spotted Catbird 2cc.jpg
    Spotted Catbird 2cc.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 19
Reptiles
12. Lace Montior at Wonga Beach near Daintree
Mammals
20. Lumholtz Tree Kangaroo at Tea Plantation near Malanda Falls

Attachments

• Lace Monitor 1s.jpg
    Lace Monitor 1s.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Tree Kangaroo 3cs.jpg
    Tree Kangaroo 3cs.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 17
At Lake Eacham
260. Scarlet Honeyeater aka Myzomela - very pretty
261. Spotted Harrier - a great looking raptor
262. Dusky Honeyeater aka Myzomela
263. Pacific Baza - great find. One that I had been looking for since coming to Australia

Attachments

• Scarlet HE 2c.jpg
    Scarlet HE 2c.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 14
a couple more mammals
22, Fawn-footed Melonys (a type of mouse)
23. Striped Possum - my first possum. Possums are common but nocturnal and difficult to see. This one was in the tree right above my vehicle in the campground at Lake Eachem. The Striped Possum is, I think, the prettiest one.

Attachments

• Striped Possum 1cs.jpg
    Striped Possum 1cs.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 19
Congratulations on the tree kangaroo....now find that cassowary

At Etty Bay, on the coast, north of Mission Beach
264. Cassowary. Wow. The #1 bird that I wanted to see in Australia. If you cant find one anywhere else, look in Etty Bay. Easy to find here walking on the beach.

265. Osprey. A very common bird in North America but this is the first one that I have seen in Australia. Not too many here it seems.

Attachments

• Cassowary 75s.jpg
    Cassowary 75s.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 21
At Etty Bay, on the coast, north of Mission Beach
264. Cassowary. Wow. The #1 bird that I wanted to see in Australia. If you cant find one anywhere else, look in Etty Bay. Easy to find here walking on the beach.

265. Osprey. A very common bird in North America but this is the first one that I have seen in Australia. Not too many here it seems.

Glad the Cassowaries are still there :t:. Eastern Osprey is a different species to the American ones by the way, at least split by some eg IOC.

Great news on the Cassowary. Not too many can get a photo with a nice beach background. Ospreys are fairly common around the beaches and rivers in SE Qld were I am. They seem to fairly territorial with the same couple nesting year after year in the same nest. Also the councils put in nesting poles for them and are regularly monitored by volunteers. Fun watching them being harassed by local magpies when nesting nearby.
It's like watching an old WWII movie of an aerial dogfight with the Ospreys being hopelessly out maneuvered.

Ospreys are fairly common around the beaches and rivers in SE Qld were I am. They seem to fairly territorial with the same couple nesting year after year in the same nest. Also the councils put in nesting poles for them and are regularly monitored by volunteers. Fun watching them being harassed by local magpies when nesting nearby.
It's like watching an old WWII movie of an aerial dogfight with the Ospreys being hopelessly out maneuvered.

During a total of about 4 months in Australia in 2006-13 I have seen Ospreys at many places round the continent: Perth (Swan River), Rottnest Island, Cervantes (WA), Cairns (including a sky dance type display over the hotels along the Esplanade), Hervey Bay and Woody Point (QLD), and various places around Port Macquarie.

Congratulations on seeing the Cassowary, BTW. It took me two attempts!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am really happy with the Cassowary sighting, especially on the beach. Off to Tyto Wetlands at Ingam and then a couple of non-birding days driving south to Brisbane.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am really happy with the Cassowary sighting, especially on the beach. Off to Tyto Wetlands at Ingam and then a couple of non-birding days driving south to Brisbane.

Brisbane is a brilliant area for birds, despite being such a large city. Lamington National Park (O'Reilly's) just to the SW stands out, but so do many other places. A pleasant surprise inland of Woombye, which is close to the Sunshine Coast, is the Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve near Maleny (as of cheese). When I was there in 2013 there was a sign that there are Richmond Birdwing butterflies on the reserve. There is a fine view of the Glasshouse Mountains from just across the road from the car park.

Off to Tyto Wetlands at Ingam and then a couple of non-birding days driving south to Brisbane.

Tyto wetlands is really good. This from our trip report:-

At Ingham the small Tyto Wetlands reserve was unexpectedly excellent. Among the many birds were a cracking Little Kingfisher perched on a dead lilly flower, more plentiful Azure, Sacred and Forest Kingfishers, 2 Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoos, a Collared Sparrowhawk (at last!), White-winged and Varied Trillers, Green Pygmy-Goose, Wandering Whistling-Duck, Bush Thick-knee, Black-fronted Dotterel, a Black-faced Monarch, and lots of Crimson Finches.

shame to have to go so quickly then to Brissie, as some great sites in between, eg Eungella NP for platypus and the Eungella Honeyeater, Inskip point for pretty much guaranteed Black-breasted Buttonquail, etc. If you choose your overnight spots, you could bag some really good stuff on the way down.

Last edited:
shame to have to go so quickly then to Brissie, as some great sites in between, eg Eungella NP for platypus and the Eungella Honeyeater, Inskip point for pretty much guaranteed Black-breasted Buttonquail, etc. If you choose your overnight spots, you could bag some really good stuff on the way down.

Yes, some of the species which Larry mentions are real stars which you'll find no where else. Do you need to rush?

At Tyto wetlands - Great place
266. Rufous-throated Honeyeater
267. Varied Triller
268. White-necked Heron (aka Pacific Heron)
also great views of Red-backed Fairy-wren. Lots of them in breeding colours. Seen before but only in brown plumage.
Missed out on Little Kingfisher, Cotton Pygmy Goose, and several species of owl and cuckoo.

Yes, some of the species which Larry mentions are real stars which you'll find no where else. Do you need to rush?
I now have less than one month to go. Starting to get worried about selling my vehicle. If I can sell it quickly, I still have hopes of getting to Tasmania. Great running vehicle. If anyone is interested in buying it, PM me.
Have some friends and relatives to visit in Brisbane and then the drive to Sydney. Unfortunately, have to skip a few places that I would like to see. Was thinking of going to Fraser Island as I have yet to see a dingo but decided to pass on it as it is quite expense to go there and would take at least two days. Lamington is on my list of places to stop.

Spent a day at the Australia Zoo, near Brisbane. Of course, I don't count birds that I have seen at the zoo, but it is a good opportunity to get photos of birds that you have seen in the wild.

Shame the weather is turning bad for the next few days.
I know Lamington NP is on your list. Early morning is best and the short work NW away from O'Reillys always shows up lots of birds but for views and waterfalls head out towards the border track. NP camping at the campground for only a few $$ per night.
Abundant number of birds around the resort mainly Regent and Satin Bowerbirds and King Parrots. Listen for unusual sounds like wood chopping or a chainsaw and it could be a Lyrebird mimicking the local sounds.
When heading south nearly every turnoff from the highway going east will lead to a beautiful beach area.
Try Hickey Is (not really an island and in the middle of town) at Yamba. A relativity rare bird you may pick up if not already on your list is the Bush Stone Curlew but bad time of the year for the migratory birds down from Siberia....Enjoy

After a few days visiting friends and relative in the Brisbane area, I went to North Stradbroke Island for three days. Great place. The Point Lookout cliff walk has stunning views over the cliffs and the ocean. We saw lots of Bottlenose Dolphins and a few whales. No new birds but at Adder Rock campground, which is on the beach three km from Point Lookout, there is very good opportunity to photograph Sea Eagles and Brahminy Kite. I had seen both before but not close. I had only see immature Sea Eagles before, never the beautiful black-and-white adult.
Mammals
23. Humpback Whale

Attachments

• Brahminy Kite 1cc.jpg
    Brahminy Kite 1cc.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 24
  • WB Sea Eagle 6cc.JPG
    WB Sea Eagle 6cc.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back