• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner's DSLR? (1 Viewer)

HouseFinch

Self-proclaimed Birdbrain
It seems that now I'm outgrowing my beloved Panasonic DMC-FZ4 from 2005. I've gone beyond just a hobbyist photographer. I want more. More quality, and thus better prints. Also, I wish to delve into the world of astrophotography, for which there is nothing better than a DSLR, by what I've seen through comparison photographs.

I've been looking at Canon Digital Rebels. What might be a good model for someone new to the DSLR world? Something affordable, yet efficient. I know I can buy additional lenses later on, so whatever 'kit' lens is included is not really an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: This is actually the one I've been looking at;

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230893620&sr=1-4

Last edited:
They say buy a system for the lenses as they will usually be used longer than the body and can be a larger investment. The Canon entry level DSLRs are excellent. However, you might want to look at the AF speed and accuracy compared to the 40d and 50d. Which lens do you want to use? I'd suggest at minimum the 300mm F4, or ideally the 100-400mm or 400mm prime. Sigma and others are starting to offer really good, stabilized glass, too. But the intended lens will be a major question.

I look for versatility in cameras. My current point-and-shoot superzoom can go from 35mm-420mm. Thus, I'll want a DSLR that can support a wide variety of lenses. For the sunset and sunrise shots which are my favorite photographic subject, I'll use a lower mm number, but for closeups of flowers, birds, etc. I'll need a higher number. Of course, photography of the stars, which is a big thing I want to get into, will require a lower number as well.

Would that 100-400mm work with the Digital Rebel XS?

I've been comparing digital photographs on this site: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Comparing the latest superzoom Panasonic Lumix to even that more basic Digital Rebel that I posted a link to in my first post, brought a revelation. I was simply blown away by the difference in quality. The Lumix seems faded, soft, and washed out, while I could make out intricate details from the Digital Rebel shot. I then compared the Digital Rebel to the same camera of a higher level with more features, and the difference was there, but not so great of a difference as between that and the Lumix. So, I feel I'll be more than satisfied with the Digital Rebel XS. I just need to know what types of lenses are compatible with it.

Last edited:
Good advice from Matt.
I also believe that all of the current Canon range are compatible with the XS but you may care to check.

Would that 100-400mm work with the Digital Rebel XS?

Sure, it's an EF lens, so it will work with any Canon dSLR. But why not go one step up and get the Rebel XSi? It is a considerably more 'sorted out' camera and not that much more expensive. And you get a faster and more precise AF.

Thomas

Shutter lag:
XS - .164 seconds
40d - .128 seconds
50d - .131 seconds

Autofocus points:
40d and 50d - 9 points
XS - 7

Frames per second:
XS - 2.93
40d - 6.4
50d - 6.3

I personally don't think I would benefit much from the additional autofocus points necessarily but it may be better for birds in flight ( I have the 40d so can't compare). The big difference is frames per second. That 3 frames per second can be downright painful if you need to shoot off a burst. I don't do that as often as I used to but at that moment when you need the shot, that fast frame rate of the semi-pro models really helps.

But yes, the XS will definitely take the 100-400mm lens just fine.

Sure, it's an EF lens, so it will work with any Canon dSLR. But why not go one step up and get the Rebel XSi? It is a considerably more 'sorted out' camera and not that much more expensive. And you get a faster and more precise AF.

Thomas

I'll take a look. I'm not so intent on taking photographs of birds in flight, as I'm more focused on landscapes and cloud formations, sunsets, and the like. However, there is always that chance I could want to become involved with such action shots in the future.

If I wasn't on such a budget, I'd consider the 40D or the 50D, but seeing as I'm just a beginner to DSLRs anyway, I doubt it matters much. I just want a camera able to take very high-quality photos, and not necessarily have all the latest and greatest features. :)

Hi,

I'm an astrophotographer, so I can't offer much help with birding, but I can offer some advice on choice of camera for astrophotography.

Any of the newer Canon cameras, from 350D onwards will get good results. The 40D and 50D have particularly low noise, which is great for long exposures.

For widefield shots of constellations - you can use something like a Canon EF 28 mm f2.8. One of the best Canon lenses for astrophotography on a modest budget is the 200 mm f2.8L - absolutely fantastic.

Shooting dark night sky objects requires long exposures - typically between 2 and 5 minutes. During the exposure the sky moves, so stars will appear trailed. For this reason you will also need a tracking mount to keep the camera moving with the sky during the exposure. I'm biased, because I designed it, but our AstroTrac camera tracking mount is just the job, and can be used with standard tripods - take a look at http://www.astrotrac.com/Default.aspx?p=gallery to see what you can do.

You'll also need a remote timer to release the shutter for long exposure - the Canon TC-80N3 works great.

Have fun,
Richard

I went ahead and ordered the XSi, with just the basic 18-55mm lens, as I like spreading out my purchases so I don't part with a huge amount of money at one time. $595USD with free shipping, from Canada. ;)

Since I used an eCheck, it will take longer to ship, but I did use an eCheck when I ordered my most recent digital sound recorder, so it's something I'm familiar with.

Next month, I'll look into getting the 100-400mm lens to expand my horizons, so to speak. I'm looking forward to beginning another long and fruitful photographic journey, as I have done with my cameras in the past(though none on the quality level of a DSLR). I am ecstatic. :D

Also, thanks Richard, I'll take all of that into consideration. It's going to be a fun ride in coming months.

I appreciate that it's still relatively expensive and with a limited range of lenses available, I'd have thought the Panasonic G1 (although technically not a DSLR) was worth a look. It's garnered some good reviews and is a smaller camera (with smaller lenses) than its rivals which is specifically aimed at those trading up,

you did fine...the XSI is what I have and I believe you really do not need much more for the average hobbiest, photographer. The lens is important though. I am happy with my purchase of the Tokina 80-400mm it is light, more compact and works well. Another option you might look into.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back