• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

How come I cannott get any up to date bird news from Upton Warren?, there does not seem to be any posts since 2009. I am a member of WWT at Upton Warren and fail to see why I have to pay someone to let me have some news. after all everyone else in other counties but on the news in their area for free.

I too find the above post somewhat baffling, in fact quite objectionable!:C

Explanations as to what is available, and how to get it, have already been made. However, what I find most strange is why you seem to think that a)you should expect someone to "let me have some news" and b)why you expect this to be free?

The rest of us decide what we want in terms of news and subscribe accordingly, suggest you do the same

Mike

further to above posts not all counties have up to date free news. i looked at sites for warks - not updated since may 30 and hereford site is a nightmare to load and is usually days behind, shrops is very hit + miss so lets get our facts right before spouting off:smoke:

Last edited:
further to above posts not all counties have up to date free news. i looked at sites for warks - not updated since may 30 and hereford site is a nightmare to load and is usually days behind, shrops is very hit + miss so lets get our facts right before spouting off:smoke:

I am suspecting that the said posterer having only done 3 posts probably hasn't read all 219 pages of this marvelous thread so live and let live. :t:

How come I cannott get any up to date bird news from Upton Warren?, there does not seem to be any posts since 2009. I am a member of WWT at Upton Warren and fail to see why I have to pay someone to let me have some news. after all everyone else in other counties but on the news in their area for free.

What have you been doing for the last 2 years then. Oh and by the way after you read the 219 pages on this thread, remember it is a reciprocal arrangement whereby when you visit upton please post your observations.
http://www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk/
Here is a link of Brian' worcester birding site.
we don't always get updates either cf Red necked phal on Thursday 2nd June so don't be too upset8-P

Last edited:
A quick visit to the flashes this morning (from 6:20 to 7:40am) revealed 3 Green Sandpipers and also a Common Sandpiper on the Sailing Pool.

John

Would anyone out there have info. on Dragonfly species that have been recorded on the reserve over the last few years?
Have been photographing any that I have come across over the last 3 to 4 years but am curious to know what I have missed!

Glenn

I've come to this late, so have little to add to what has already been posted. I'm not entirely clear as to whether this comment relates to Birdforum or my website. If it is the latter, there is a simple reason why no sightings have been archived to Worcester Birding since July 2010 and that is because it is at full capacity. The website collects in excess of 2,500 reports a year and I am looking for another hosting package but in the meantime if anyone wants access to the sightings logs for the remainder of 2010 and 2011, I have them all on Word documents and will be happy to send them via email.

However, if it's information about all aspects of Upton Warren that you require, then you will be extremely hard pressed to do better than visiting this thread on a regular basis.

Brian

Would anyone out there have info. on Dragonfly species that have been recorded on the reserve over the last few years?
Have been photographing any that I have come across over the last 3 to 4 years but am curious to know what I have missed!

Glenn
Hi Glenn
When Des (UW82) reads this, I am sure he will supply you with the info you require.
B :)John

Hi Glenn. The complete list of Dragonflies for Upton Warren as at June this year is:

Beautiful Demoiselle------------------Banded Demoiselle
Emerald Damselfly--------------------White-legged Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly----------------- Red-eyed Damselfly (1st record in 2009)
Azure Damselfly-----------------------Variable Damselfly*
Common Blue Damselfly------------- Blue-tailed Damselfly
Common Hawker (1979 only)--------Migrant Hawker
Southern Hawker----------------------Brown Hawker
Emperor Dragonfly--------------------Hairy Dragonfly#
Four-spotted Chaser------------------Scarce Chaser (1st record in 2010)
Broad-bodied Chaser----------------- Black-tailed Skimmer
Common Darter-----------------------Ruddy Darter

* A 2008 record was accepted by the Natural History Museum, but is awaiting confirmation by the British Dragonfly Society.

# Recorded on the 5th May this year by Jared Tibbetts and accepted this week by the County Recorder.

22 species , if the Variable Damselfly is counted, is an impressive list.

Des.

Where on the reserve have the White-legged Damselflies been seen, and have they been present in reasonable numbers? I haven't seen this species yet and it would be nice to see it locally. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info. Des.
Looking at the Dam. and Drag. list I have a lot more work to do!
Will try to photo. all species I see over the summer.(for the record?)
Regards Glenn

I had a very enjoyable visit this afternoon. The green sandpipers and the common had moved to the Flashes but the greens disappeared quite soon. I met (at the feeder hide)two very pleasant chaps from Brandon who had come to photograph the Upton reed and sedgewarblers, with some success.

At the Moors concrete hide I enjoyed the company of another amiable photographer; we saw a rail chick three or four times as well as a hobby hunting in front of the hide providing some very good action shots.

Peter

Where on the reserve have the White-legged Damselflies been seen, and have they been present in reasonable numbers? I haven't seen this species yet and it would be nice to see it locally. Thanks in advance.

Anywhere along the river Salwarpe from the A38 to the west hide, but they are scarce, I only see 2 or 3 a year.

Des.

typical......I travel the lenght of the country to go and see red-necked phalaropes in Benbecula and lo and behold they've also visited UW! Good job I saw them up there or I would have been hopping mad! Glad to see the reserve is attracting a better class of migrant!

This evening at the Flashes the first Little Egret of the year appeared on the mud in front of the sewage works and then flew south after only 1 minute on the deck.
Also 13 Curlew roosted, 28 Avocet (16 chick/juvs), 10 LRP (incl 2 chicks), 4 Lapwing (incl 1 chick), 3 Green Sands, 1 common Sand, pair of Shoveler, and 2 Gadwall plus 200ish mallard.
A male sparrowhawk took a linnet off the salt marsh.
B :)John

Are hobbies seen frequently over the pools at the moment? I went down to the Somerset Levels on Saturday in search of some, and saw only one, despite the place seemingly infested with dragonflies.

Worth the trip though, as I saw bitterns, marsh harriers and 3 cuckoos.

Are hobbies seen frequently over the pools at the moment? I went down to the Somerset Levels on Saturday in search of some, and saw only one, despite the place seemingly infested with dragonflies.

Worth the trip though, as I saw bitterns, marsh harriers and 3 cuckoos.

I received a message saying there were two Hobbies over the moors yesterday evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back