• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Best 'Alpha' Binoculars for Those of Us With Tremors (1 Viewer)

I don't know whether lithium AAs have the same chemistry as lithium ion laptop batteries.

Lithium AA (non-rechargables) are recommended by Canon for the 2005 10x42L IS and give the longest run time with operation (8 hrs continuous IS usage @ 25 degC). Info is located both on-line and with the new unit I just received. Canon Tech this morning stated they don't recommend Lithium-Ion rechargeables, as they do have some questionable safety issues. See HERE, [Lithium-ion batteries can be dangerous under some conditions and can pose a safety hazard since they, unlike other rechargeable batteries, contain a flammable electrolyte and are kept pressurized], located @ top of page, last paragraph. Additionally besides alkaline batteries, NiMH rechargeables (like the Eneloops) at 25% less run time over Lithium (non-rechargeable), are also recommended!

Ted

FWIW,

My spouse has always had mild to severe hand tremors (too much coffee in her infancy, hehe). At times, even 7x-8x binos are a challenge for her to obtain steady clear images at >30m. Recently glassing past sunset at an extremely clear waxing half-moon, she was astounded and amazed (WOWED) with hand-holding the 10x42L IS for it's stabilized clarity of detail and resolution! Believe she'd be able to easily handle the lighter, more compact 10x30 IS-II's!

Hmmmm, think I know what Christmas gift will be her favorite this year!! ;)

Ted

Last edited:
I also don't understand the continuing attraction of the open-bridge design. I suppose it's reminiscent of Porro glasses, but doesn't make as much sense when the barrels are so close. Thanks for your special perspective on the disadvantage.
I've only tried Swarovskis a couple of times, but thought the open bridge would make them very easy to use one handed, which can be handy if a bird appears when you happen to have something in one hand at the time, camera, notebook, etc.

I've only tried Swarovskis a couple of times, but thought the open bridge would make them very easy to use one handed, which can be handy if a bird appears when you happen to have something in one hand at the time, camera, notebook, etc.

I had one of the original Swaro EL 44s and found it gave an easier and more comfortable grip than conventional bins even though there was not much room between the tubes. In particular I found thumb placement more comfortable.

The Zeiss SF has more room between the tubes even for me with a small IPD so this grip is even more comfortable with this model.

Lee

The rather elegant twin-barrel design of the Swarovski's makes it impossible for me to hold them still...my left hand tremor just shakes the entire binocular. The Zeiss' are not only a little bit lighter (by only about 45 grams/2.5 ounces, but even that does help in my case), but mostly because its chunky-monkey compact design allows my right hand to comfortably overlap my left and cancel out the vibration.
/QUOTE]
Lopaka, I don't understand how being able to overlap hands helps control the shaking. Or why you can't do the same thing with an open bridge, although I can see that your fingers would tend to curl down and separate. Perhaps it all depends on the size of your hands, length of fingers, etc.

Also, have you tried mounting the binoculars on a monopod or a "Finn stick"?

The rather elegant twin-barrel design of the Swarovski's makes it impossible for me to hold them still...my left hand tremor just shakes the entire binocular. The Zeiss' are not only a little bit lighter (by only about 45 grams/2.5 ounces, but even that does help in my case), but mostly because its chunky-monkey compact design allows my right hand to comfortably overlap my left and cancel out the vibration.
/QUOTE]
Lopaka, I don't understand how being able to overlap hands helps control the shaking. Or why you can't do the same thing with an open bridge, although I can see that your fingers would tend to curl down and separate. Perhaps it all depends on the size of your hands, length of fingers, etc.

Also, have you tried mounting the binoculars on a monopod or a "Finn stick"?

I have an FL8x32 and can understand what is meant by chunky-monkey and how this would work. I can imagine this grip working with a Leica BN8x32 too but that is heavier.

Lee

The Zeiss' are not only a little bit lighter (by only about 45 grams/2.5 ounces, but even that does help in my case), but mostly because its chunky-monkey compact design allows my right hand to comfortably overlap my left and cancel out the vibration. I've finally got a pair of top-notch binoculars and they are fantastic - thank you Zeiss!!

Just wanted to share that with you in case any of you may have (or know someone who has) picked-up a tremor (from PD, or just a slight age related one), that there's an alpha binocular which is demonstrably superior to all others on the market today: it's the Zeiss FL 8x32's.

Hope some may find this thread helpful.

Aloha,

-Lopaka

I have the FL 7x42's and agree with your assessment of their "ergonomic design" benefits in reduction of hand shake! They are very comfortable in holding steady. My 7x42 Habicht porros are more challenging to maintain a shake free sight image, even though they are about the same weight as my FL's.

Outside of a good Alpha IS bino (certainly much heavier), I can imagine the FL 8x32 at 550g posses a great and smooth glassing image for you! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
I don't know if this is any help, but have you tried using a binocular harness instead of a strap? If adjustable sufficiently, you can create a little bit of pressure (a pulling downwards from the strap) as you hold them to your eyes. It may be that this resistance might help in preventing the shake.
It might be worth trying, if you can borrow one or try one in a store somewhere.
I'm using the Rick Young Outdoors bino harness, which is largely just shock-cord. A bit tricky to get in the UK, but doesn't look like the S.W.A.T. team approach used by a lot of manufacturers.
It's just a thought, and i'm not coming at this from any expertise....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back