• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers and barbets... (1 Viewer)

IJUBA

Some while ago I heard a new 'visitor' somewhere in our backyard and it turned out to be a cardinal woodpecker and his little wife who had decided to settle here. They made their nest in a thick branch of our neighbour's tree, but this branch overhangs into our property and the opening of the nest is on the underside, so we could get a good view of these little visitors. They eventually hatched one chick, and I don't know whether they had intended re-using the nest again, but a pair of black-collared barbets have now taken it over, so the little cardinals can still be heard, but in another tree in another neighbour's property.

We also have a fishpond - holds about 1000 litres of water - with a few koi and a variety of what is commonly termed 'goldfish.' However, my hubby made a covering for it, using PVC piping and bird netting to prevent the ibises and hamerkops from cadging free fish meals, and believe it or not, the other day a pelican landed on the net, also hoping for a nice free meal, but he was quickly shooed away when hubby spotted him!

:news:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back