• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Oh Pete!
That's asking for the "you shouldn't be poking yer lenses out of the hide anyway" debate, mate. ;)
Notwithstanding that argument, the current biggest diameter Canon lens, and let's face it who cares about Nikon users ;-), is the 600mm (not the 800mm surprisingly) and that's 168mm. Allowing for hoods and covers 180mm should suffice, so long as you ain't planning any BIF imagery!:eek!: J for Joke!

Last edited:
I've just collected 10 nest boxes made by my mate Pete (the retired teacher who accompanied me to last month's work party).
3 x 25mm, 3 x 29mm and 4 x open fronted (high walled) boxes.
He's asked me for £10.00 to cover screws and treatment. I agreed. I assume that's acceptable.
I've also asked him (and he's agreed) to make a few bat boxes. I'll have a look on the net later and run some plans past you all for approval.
Here are the nest boxes...

Attachments

• Hole 1_resize.jpg
    Hole 1_resize.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Hole 2_resize.jpg
    Hole 2_resize.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Open 1_resize.jpg
    Open 1_resize.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi Everyone
Re the hide demolition, the contractors contacted Andy to tell him they couldn't get there until Thursday. Having worked in the building trade myself for a few years, I know that you can jump from one job to another. I get the impression with all the delay (planning application) that they have got involved with another job, thus this Thursday start.
B :)John

I've just collected 10 nest boxes made by my mate Pete (the retired teacher who accompanied me to last month's work party).
3 x 25mm, 3 x 29mm and 4 x open fronted (high walled) boxes.
He's asked me for £10.00 to cover screws and treatment. I agreed. I assume that's acceptable.
I've also asked him (and he's agreed) to make a few bat boxes. I'll have a look on the net later and run some plans past you all for approval.
Here are the nest boxes...

Sounds good to me Sy
I'll give you the cash when I next see you...Peter E gave me cash last year that will more than cover the cost. Thank your mate for us B :)John

Are those nest box lids really made of copper?...

No, they're a strange rubber/plastic compound fixed by a baton at the rear to form a hinge and sealed with mastic on top. I must admit that the flash has made them look somewhat coppery - but they're actually flesh-coloured. But thanks for the sentiment, Roger... :-C :-O

work party today at the Moors

Another productive day, considering that it rained all the the way through. The 13 of us split into groups and tackled last years willow growth along the reed bed side of the west track, the car park reed bed and on the north side of the North Moors hide. In some places this growth was over 12 foot. The brash was used as dead hedging to supplement areas along the west track and north moors trail.
Also today the channel to the south of the concrete (water rail) hide, was extended closer to the hide to be continued next week.

Pics
1. West track after todays cutting this will encourage a more vigorous reed growth, by lessening the 'drying' effect from the willows. In one year the reeds look very healthy and the area is much wetter than it was two years ago.
2. The car park reed bed also had last years willow growth removed from the coppices. Last years removal of old reeds encouraged a good crop of reeds and even though the water is low, the area adjacent to the car park is very wet.
3. and 4. Show the area on the north side of the North Moors hide after removal of willows that hadn't been cut down for a few years. The remaining area will now receive sunlight and should be ideal for cettis (when they return).
5. The start of the channel extension to the south of the concrete hide.

Attachments

• west path after willows coppiced.jpg
    west path after willows coppiced.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 62
  • after willow cleared car park.jpg
    after willow cleared car park.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 66
  • after work NM hide willo cleared.jpg
    after work NM hide willo cleared.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 62
  • view from NM hide after willows removed.jpg
    view from NM hide after willows removed.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 66
  • start of the start of new channel to south of water rail hide..jpg
    start of the start of new channel to south of water rail hide..jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Birding today.
At the Moors
GCG 2, Little Grebe 5, Shoveler 14, Teal 20+, Tufted 25, Pochard 12, Cormorant 18, Muter swan 8, Water rail, 5 either seen or heard plus 2 at the North moors.
coot 250, Curlew 14, Kinfisher. A large mixed tit flock also included 1 chiffchaff and 2 goldcrest. A meadow pipit and grey wag flew over.
At the Flashes
It was great to see the resurrection of the gull roost.The birds were assembled in the freshly 'flooded' 2nd Flash. The BHG's totalled 540+, also from 4pm small groups of large gulls dropped in for a good few minutes, before continuing north to their roosting site. Of these there were 15 Herring 25 LBB and an adult great Black Backed, which was still there at 5.15pm and presumably roosted. Just before dark at least 4 green sands arrived to roost, on one of the newly created mud islets next to the marker post. Also seen were: Curlew 20, Lapwing 92, snipe 3,Teal 35, mallard 40-50 mostly arriving just prior to dark. A few meadow pipits and c20 redwing flew over and a little owl called, whilst 140 Starling roosted in the 3rd Flash reed bed.

Last pics from the Flashes hide

The pics taken today show the views of the areas after Sundays work party. My camera was playing up Sunday so I went back today .
1.A wide angle view of the Hide channel, grassy knoll, central area, and .
2. close up of 'hide channel'
3. close up of the 'grassy knoll' and the new retaining bank, and 'keyhole channel'
4. new islands and channel in 'central area'

Attachments

• 1. After work 6th Nov 11DSCF8179.jpg
    1. After work 6th Nov 11DSCF8179.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 2. 'hide channel' close up.jpg
    2. 'hide channel' close up.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 3. grassy knoll and keyhole after work.jpg
    3. grassy knoll and keyhole after work.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 67
  • new channel and islands in central area afta wrk 6th Nov11.jpg
    new channel and islands in central area afta wrk 6th Nov11.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 77
Birding today.
At the Moors
GCG 2, Little Grebe 5, Shoveler 14, Teal 20+, Tufted 25, Pochard 12, Cormorant 18, Muter swan 8, Water rail, 5 either seen or heard plus 2 at the North moors.
coot 250, Curlew 14, Kinfisher. A large mixed tit flock also included 1 chiffchaff and 2 goldcrest. A meadow pipit and grey wag flew over.
At the Flashes
It was great to see the resurrection of the gull roost.The birds were assembled in the freshly 'flooded' 2nd Flash. The BHG's totalled 540+, also from 4pm small groups of large gulls dropped in for a good few minutes, before continuing north to their roosting site. Of these there were 15 Herring 25 LBB and an adult great Black Backed, which was still there at 5.15pm and presumably roosted. Just before dark at least 4 green sands arrived to roost, on one of the newly created mud islets next to the marker post. Also seen were: Curlew 20, Lapwing 92, snipe 3,Teal 35, mallard 40-50 mostly arriving just prior to dark. A few meadow pipits and c20 redwing flew over and a little owl called, whilst 140 Starling roosted in the 3rd Flash reed bed.

I think I'll be indulging in a post-work afternoon visit to UW tomorrow. Haven't ventured there since last Wednesday afternoon, when I called in on the way home from seeing the Steppe Grey Shrike in Shropshire.

Went down to Hengistbury Head, Dorset on Thursday in search of the Pallas's Warbler which had been showing there. Unfortunately I dipped on that one, but some consolation was gained on Friday when I saw a Glossy Ibis, 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, 2 Dartford Warblers, 1 Firecrest, 1 Short-eared Owl and a Spotted Redshank at the same site.

On Friday night I headed towards the Pembrokeshire coast where I had the good fortune to get some excellent close up views of my first ever Isabelline Shrike the following day.

Hoping to get something interesting at Upton tomorrow.:t:

Something like these two perhaps8-P

Attachments

• Isabelline Shrike.jpg
    Isabelline Shrike.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 95
  • Glossy Ibis.jpg
    Glossy Ibis.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 61
No, they're a strange rubber/plastic compound fixed by a baton at the rear to form a hinge and sealed with mastic on top. I must admit that the flash has made them look somewhat coppery - but they're actually flesh-coloured. But thanks for the sentiment, Roger... :-C :-O

Oh well I'll put the ladders back in the shed - just thought I might be able to supplement my pension a bit! o:D

I think I'll be indulging in a post-work afternoon visit to UW tomorrow. Haven't ventured there since last Wednesday afternoon, when I called in on the way home from seeing the Steppe Grey Shrike in Shropshire.

Went down to Hengistbury Head, Dorset on Thursday in search of the Pallas's Warbler which had been showing there. Unfortunately I dipped on that one, but some consolation was gained on Friday when I saw a Glossy Ibis, 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, 2 Dartford Warblers, 1 Firecrest, 1 Short-eared Owl and a Spotted Redshank at the same site.

On Friday night I headed towards the Pembrokeshire coast where I had the good fortune to get some excellent close up views of my first ever Isabelline Shrike the following day.

Hoping to get something interesting at Upton tomorrow.:t:

Something like these two perhaps8-P

Just any one of those will do Andy:t: John

As a follow on to my post last night about bat boxes.
I had a look for Bat Box designs and I must admit I got totally confused.
Pete will gladly help us out by building them and I know they should be totally untreated, but can I ask you guys who are more knowledgeable about things-bats, to find an agreeable design, please?

Sy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back