• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Camera Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I am looking to get a second body to save keep changing lenses in the field. At the moment I use a 350D with 400mm f5.6 for birds and 17-40 f4 for landscapes - I am looking at two options:-
a) Get a 30D for birding (5fps and Spot) and keep 350D for Landscapes
b) Get a 5D for Landscapes and keep the 350D for birding
What would you go with?

Roy C said:
I am looking to get a second body to save keep changing lenses in the field. At the moment I use a 350D with 400mm f5.6 for birds and 17-40 f4 for landscapes - I am looking at two options:-
What would you go with?

Depends on whether your emphasis is on birding or landscapes. If the former, go for a and if the latter, go for b.

Adrian

Roy C said:
What would you go with?
Hi Roy,
I have the 20D/100-400L for birding
Just got the 5D/17-40L for landscapes
I find these the perfect combo
Keep the 350D and check out the 5D, its outstanding

Roy C said:
What would you go with?

I had the same problem, continually changing lenses on my 350D, I have solved it by getting a 400D. The cameras are sufficiently similar to make ease of changing from one to the other simple. I have a couple of EFS lenses, which precludes changing to a full frame camers such as the 5D. Personally I think the 400D a better buy than the 30D, and I suspect the 30D will be replaed before the 400D.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I intend to wait a week or to to see what Canon may come up with. At the moment I do mostly birds/wildlife but am getting more into landscapes now that I have the 17-40 which is where the 5D came into it. I shall keep pondering a while.

Cheers
Roy

Personally I'd get a 400D or even another 350D if you can get a good deal on one. I use one of each and as they have basically the same layout and controls it's very easy to switch from one to the other without having to think about it. I also like the fact that all the accessories work on both cameras - saved me buyng more spare batteries and another cable release. I also like only having to take on charger away with me.

Personally I don't think there is anything to choose in IQ between the 20D, 30D, 350D and 400D... the only reason to spend more on a body is if you want full frame or really want spot metering and faster frame rate. But if you're happy with the 350D I'm sure you'd be happy with a 400D.

Hello,

Tinternet been down for ten days, just back on.
I have the same dilema, got EOS400D with kit lens
Just bought the 17-85 IS USM Canon. also have Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO.and Kenko 1.4 300 pro TC.
Soon hope to get Canon 100-400 IS.
Deliberating as to whether to purchase a 350d to use as a carry around with the Sigma and TC, and when out on reserve or a specific visit somewhere to use it with the 17-85 Wish I hadn't gone DSLR at Chrismas Only Kidding,
or do I need another lens over and above what I have and what I intend to have to cover all eventualities.

any comments.

Cheers,

Les

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back