• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 701HDV (1 Viewer)

Happy haggis

I have a Swarovski ATS80 HD with 20-60x, 30xW and a DCA adapter. I would like to try digiscoping, but don't really want to buy another camera. I already have a Canon 5D Mk3 and 60D which I would prefer to utilise if practical. I do have a Zeiss 50mm f1.4 that I can use. I have read that using DSLRs is cumbersome, but am prepared to put up with that as long as the results make it worthwhile.
My main issue is around the tripod head. I was wondering if the Manfrotto 701 HDV would handle this weight. I have estimated that the kit will weigh in at around 3kg and the head is rated at 4kg. If standard photography experience is any guide then these ratings tend to be a wee bit optimistic.
I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on its suitability or any alternatives I should look at.
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back