• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digic 3 procesor from Canon (1 Viewer)

UlfL said:
And in the 5d II too, surely. Next generation of Canon image processing, this sounds as there is surely something coming on Photokina!
Regards,
Ulf
Well, it does sound interesting, but wouldn't you shoot RAW with a 5D or 1D anyways?

/Thomas

tjsimonsen said:
Well, it does sound interesting, but wouldn't you shoot RAW with a 5D or 1D anyways?

/Thomas
Even in RAW the output from the CMOS still requires processing whilst any ISO setting other than native requires signal boosting (which creates noise) -hence the importance of these processors. It is the presumptive high signal amplification:low noise ratio of this new processor which will be attractive though it will probably also help improve AF & perhaps even allow AF at apertures >5.6 in the anticipated 40D...... come on Canon you know it makes sense! ;)

Steve G said:
Even in RAW the output from the CMOS still requires processing whilst any ISO setting other than native requires signal boosting (which creates noise) -hence the importance of these processors. It is the presumptive high signal amplification:low noise ratio of this new processor which will be attractive though it will probably also help improve AF & perhaps even allow AF at apertures >5.6 in the anticipated 40D...... come on Canon you know it makes sense! ;)

Isn't the ampflication function associated with high ISO boosting done on the sensor itself?

AF at apertures >5.6 is also a function of the AF sensor, not the DIGIC processor.

Most of the horsepower in the DIGIC II/III is used for RAW to JPEG conversion AFAIK.

macshark said:
Isn't the ampflication function associated with high ISO boosting done on the sensor itself?

AF at apertures >5.6 is also a function of the AF sensor, not the DIGIC processor.

Most of the horsepower in the DIGIC II/III is used for RAW to JPEG conversion AFAIK.
One of the many attractive features of these processors is the low power consumption -horsepower don't come into it Mac.

Autofocus is indeed one of the functions of DIGIC processors -the beauty of these processors is that they combine all the functions previously undertaken by multiple 'chips' into a single processor increasing processing speed & reducing power consumption.

Image signal boosting at high ISO can't be done by the sensor (though some sensors are more sensitive in low light than others). It is effectively the processor which 'boosts' the ISO:-
here is a direct quote from Canon (see Nigel's link above) re the DIGIC III processor: 'Also, its “noise reduction signal processing” at ISO 1600 enables the image quality to be adequae with not conspicuous noise'.

Steve G said:
Image signal boosting at high ISO can't be done by the sensor (though some sensors are more sensitive in low light than others). It is effectively the processor which 'boosts' the ISO:-
here is a direct quote from Canon (see Nigel's link above) re the DIGIC III processor: 'Also, its “noise reduction signal processing” at ISO 1600 enables the image quality to be adequae with not conspicuous noise'.

Noise reduction is different from signal boosting. One of Canon's strong arguments for the CMOS sensor was the fact that amplifiers and other signal pre-processing logic could be integrated on the same die as the sensor itself. Here is a quote from the original Canon CMOS sensor press-release:
Canon engineers developed three new technologies for their CMOS sensor: on-chip noise reduction; electronic charge transfer; and on-chip programmable gain amplification. All were key breakthroughs, said Shigeyuki Matsumoto, senior general manager at Canon's device development center.

Seems SteveG has made the same comments here as I would, but the exciting thing about this processor is the speedier throughput of data which will enable higher shooting rates (frames per second) or more RAW frames before buffer lockout.
Seen in perspective the 10.1 Mp sensor size of the 400D is the thing that I am most interested in, if the pixel pitch the APS size sensor of the 400D is calculated out to fit a full frame sensor then 26.25Mp is possible, so the faster processing of the Digic 3 points towards the EOS 1Ds Mk3 when it is announced being a 25Mp+ camera that will likely have a 5 FPS capability.
I also like the idea of being able to shoot at higher ISO's with less noise, if 800 ISO had the same smoothness that 400 ISO has on the 1Ds MkII it would open up the possibility of some very exciting advances in what sort of action images can be shot with available light.

Dont know if anyone has posted these rumours up but the latest are
* 35D/40D 12MP, Digic III, 5 FPS, 1.6x, new AF, $1300
* 3D 16MP, better AF with poss Eye control, 5 FPS, 6400 ISO with 12800 mode, more expensive than current 5D
* 5D Mk2 12MP, 5 FPS, Dustproof, slightly cheaper than current 5D
* Come January........EOS 1 SP (for sport) 17MP 1.25x crop, improved (lighter and longer lasting) battery, better high ISO noise than 1D2 (however still restricted to 3200), slightly less agressive AA filter for sharper images without PP, 45 point focus system but with two additional cross sensors at the extreme ends of the AF elipse, 8.5 fps with 25 raw buffer, Digic 3, 2 user configurable buttons, in-camera WiFi (limited range, WiFi unit still required for long range transmission), dust reduction system. Camera is 14cm high, same width, and slightly lighter. No change to flash system.
EOS 1 ST (Studio) FF version released two months later at PMA. No details on MP yet."

I did post up some scurrilous 40D/5D rumours earlier, but they seem to have vanished without trace - presumably because I attributed them to another forum, warranting(?) the removal of the posting by a mod...

I would dream of a 40D with: Digic III Processor, 12+ MP something like 18-21 point AF, and 5 FPS. If that comes true, I will consider buying one.

peteh said:
* 3D 16MP, better AF with poss Eye control, 5 FPS, 6400 ISO with 12800 mode, more expensive than current 5D
* 5D Mk2 12MP, 5 FPS, Dustproof, slightly cheaper than current 5D
* Come January........EOS 1 SP (for sport) 17MP 1.25x crop,
Don't think we will see a 3D and a new 5D. From Canons point of view, there are probably enough models on the market, no need to introduce a new product line.
The 1DMkIIN is currently dropping in price, indicating that there might be something going on. But I'm quite sure that not even Canon will be able to more than double the amount of MP in the new 1D. 10 or 12 MP are more likely.

Regards,
Ulf

Keith Reeder said:
I did post up some scurrilous 40D/5D rumours earlier, but they seem to have vanished without trace - presumably because I attributed them to another forum, warranting(?) the removal of the posting by a mod...
Don't think so Keith, there's one you deleted yourself at 00:39 ? I can reinstate it if you wish.
Did you post this 'missing' post in this thread or somewhere else. We don't have a problem with links to articles or relevant threads on other dedicated photography sites (Dpr et all)

UlfL said:
Don't think we will see a 3D and a new 5D. From Canons point of view, there are probably enough models on the market, no need to introduce a new product line.
The 1DMkIIN is currently dropping in price, indicating that there might be something going on. But I'm quite sure that not even Canon will be able to more than double the amount of MP in the new 1D. 10 or 12 MP are more likely.

Regards,
Ulf

I disagree i cant see there flagship professional models coming out with the same mp as their entry level dslr. Doesnt the 1ds mkII have 16mp now?

Its going to be an interesting year tho.. Deciding which camera to upgrade too. the 40d, 3d or 1d sp.

eastwood said:
I would dream of a 40D with: Digic III Processor, 12+ MP something like 18-21 point AF, and 5 FPS. If that comes true, I will consider buying one.

I love camera rumours. Today there was a leak on the Canon HK website with a page for the 40d which has been taken down now, there were no details but the latest spec rumour on the 40d is
* Anti-dust
* 5D like AF
* 10.2mp 4 channel sensor (though they were testing a 12 mp one)
* Still 1.6 crop for those EF-S lenses
* DIGIC III and sensor changes to give better high ISO and lower noise (especially at 1600 and 3200 ISO)
* Very similar appearance to 30D

The question is when is it going to be announced. The PMA is in march. But will Canon announce the new 1d's or the 40d or both.....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back