• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF500 f4.5L vs EF300 f2.8L & 2x ? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

I'm using an EOS 5D and an EF 300 f2.8L, sometimes with a 1.4x MkI or a 2x MkII Canon extender, (Equiv to 420 f4, or 600 f5.6.) for casual bird photography. (i.e. I don't build a hide etc.) Would I benefit from getting an EF 500 f4.5L? Seems to me, that it would lie somewhere between the two extended versions of my present combo, and I'd simply be adding to my photo debts.

Or am I missing something which is not apparent from simply doing the arithmetic?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Malcolm Stewart said:
I'm using an EOS 5D and an EF 300 f2.8L, sometimes with a 1.4x or a 2x Canon extender, (Equiv to 420 f4, or 600 f5.6.) for casual bird photography. (i.e. I don't build a hide etc.) Would I benefit from getting an EF 500 f4.5L? Seems to me, that it would lie somewhere between the two extended versions of my present combo, and I'd simply be adding to my photo debts.

Or am I missing something which is not apparent from simply doing the arithmetic?

Many thanks

If would basically depend upon how much degradation in the image was produced by the extenders. I have the f4 300mm L IS lens, and the 1.4x extender has minimal effect, however, though I have not tried the 2 x extender I am led to believe it produces a marked degradation of the image.
Also cost comes into the equation, and will you be making prints from your images, and what size, or will you just be viewing them on your computer screen?

From what I've read, the 300mm f2,8 is very highly regarded whether using the 1.4x or the 2x with very little loss in quality. I'm tempted to go that way myself as I like the portability of the 300mm - even though it is a chunky lens as well.

The main advantage of the 500mm for me is the extra reach - you can use the 1.4x and the 2x with that as well.

Malcolm Stewart said:
I'm using an EOS 5D and an EF 300 f2.8L, sometimes with a 1.4x or a 2x Canon extender, (Equiv to 420 f4, or 600 f5.6.) for casual bird photography. (i.e. I don't build a hide etc.) Would I benefit from getting an EF 500 f4.5L? Seems to me, that it would lie somewhere between the two extended versions of my present combo, and I'd simply be adding to my photo debts.

Many thanks

Hi,

I use the canon 500mm lens what can i say, one of the best lenses on the market, i would say adding 2x con to this does lower quality on images but i use the 20d so the sensor is 1.6x. With yours been full frame i would think that this would not happen either with the 300mm of the 500mm you have a fantastic lens. I have never had any problems with the 1.4x so thumbs up to that. regards the 300mm v the 500mm you have pick the best lenses on the market. I would try someones x2 converter first before dishing out as you may find the quality to be great, then make your judgment on the lenses by the quality of the image. please feel free to have alook at my images www.leedavisphotography.co.uk ( been built at the moment ) most of the bird shots were taken with the 500mm and 1.4 and 2.0 cov.

if you live local to leeds we can meet up and you can use my 2.0x

regards

Lee Davis

Last edited:
Must admit, I've been astounded by the quality of the Canon EFII 2x on my 600/4, it's still a genuine proposition for shots for publication, albeit a 1.4x edges it.

Can't speak for the Canon 300/2.8 as I don't own one 'yet' but from my experience with the Nikon 300/2.8 + 1.7x teleconverter, this was about as good as you can get for a walk-around combination. Nikon's 2x isn't as good as the Canon EFII 2X, so I'm looking forward to using the Canon 300/2.8 + 2x.

Besides, haven't got specs to hand, but wouldn't the 500/4.5 be somewhat larger and heavier as a walkaround combo?

cheers,
Andy

Many thanks guys, for your opinions. If I get an EF500 f4.5L, I'll let you know how I get on. At the moment, the forecast is for rain, and more rain, so I'll probably stay here and do some printing! I had hoped to get over to Welney, but it's a fair way when there's a poor forecast over several days.

with a 500f4.5 even with a 1.4tc you will lose AF on the 5D ?
I have the 500f4isL works great with the 1.4 not so great with the 2x but ok for the reach.
i also have the 300f2.8isL works great with the 1.4 and better with the 2x than the 500 .
so imho you would gain 100mm overall and slight IQ WITH A 1.4 on the 500 over the 300 and 2x -But the latter would give you AF.
Rob.

To be honest what i would do here is Wait and see what 1.6 crop Canon bring out in the spring and how many MP's it is .
one of the reason's i have not bought a 5d is simpley because the 1.6 crop give's better reach also if you crop the 5d to a 1.6 crop field of view you get less MP's than say a 30d .
i sold my 20d and bought a 1dmk2 1.3 crop but missed the 1.6 crop so much i bought a 400d to make do till the next camera comes out 40d or what ever it is -although a 24 MP's 1dsm3 would be nice as it could be cropped for a 1.6 field of view yet give more MP'S than even a 1.6 crop camera and still be full frame ?
I dont sleep at night's thinking about all this stuff lollol
Rob.

GYRob said:
To be honest what i would do here is Wait and see what 1.6 crop Canon bring out in the spring and how many MP's it is .
one of the reason's i have not bought a 5d is simpley because the 1.6 crop give's better reach also if you crop the 5d to a 1.6 crop field of view you get less MP's than say a 30d .
i sold my 20d and bought a 1dmk2 1.3 crop but missed the 1.6 crop so much i bought a 400d to make do till the next camera comes out 40d or what ever it is -although a 24 MP's 1dsm3 would be nice as it could be cropped for a 1.6 field of view yet give more MP'S than even a 1.6 crop camera and still be full frame ?
I dont sleep at night's thinking about all this stuff lollol
Rob.

FYI The Canon EF 500 f/4.5 L weighs 3kg, whereas the EF 500 f/4 L weighs in at 3.8kg. The EF 300 f/2.8 by comparison seems featherweight at 2.5kg (on paper of course!). Remember the 4.5L is pre IS - if you're thinking of a hand-held rig.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Personally I'm in no rush to change from the 30D, but the idea of a 300mm/420mm/600mm hand-holdable lens set-up I can use in lower light than my 100-400mm is happy in (f/4 at 420mm would be a life-saver for me ;)), with the overall performance/AF/sharpness reputation of the 300mm f/2.8 (even on a 30D), is very appealing.

Keith Reeder said:
Personally I'm in no rush to change from the 30D, but the idea of a 300mm/420mm/600mm hand-holdable lens set-up I can use in lower light than my 100-400mm is happy in (f/4 at 420mm would be a life-saver for me ;)), with the overall performance/AF/sharpness reputation of the 300mm f/2.8 (even on a 30D), is very appealing.
if i could only have one rig i think it would be the 300 and tc's , its hard to say when you have both but the combo's the 300 gives make it the best of the 2 . on avrage in the field.
on a side note i can hold the 500f4is +1.4 tc up to my eye for 55 seconds max,iv not timed myself with the 300+tc but it will be a little longer 1.15 at a guess. so both are very easy to handhold for short times then a rest and start over.
Rob.

Cheers Rob,

Malla and Paul Hillion have both told me much the same thing, so - as soon as I've sold this kidney - I'll be good to go!

;) ;) ;)

(Sorry we've hijacked your thread, Malcolm!)

There should be no doubt about the optical quality of any of these lens. For me, my hand-hold limit is 300 2.8 + 2X. If I have to use a tripod, I would dream of the 600 F4/400 F2.8L.

The loss of autofocus with extenders for the 500/4.5 on a 5D would be enough to rule it out for hand held work. Manual focussing a big lens like that is difficult enough on a tripod, but hand held - forget it. So on its own it gives no focal length advantage over the 300/2x combo.

When you then add the loss of IS, which is even more of an essential for hand held telephoto work, then it needs no more consideration at all. Stick with what you've got and save your money.

I use the same 300/extenders combo for hand held stuff, and a 600mm f4 (usually with extenders) on a tripod. I can just about hand hold the 600mm with 1.4x for a few quick shots, but having to manually focus and have no IS as well? How about balancing on a unicycle and juggling one-handed at the same time? ;)

Thanks for the advice.
For the moment using my 5D, I'm sticking with my present set-up of EF300 f4L, EF 300 f2.8L, and the two converters. If I find that my standard of results improves, I may in the future consider moving to more modern lenses with IS incorporated.

One thing I did try this pm was on-camera Hi-speed flash (220EX) in an attempt to put a catch-light into the eyes of the waterfowl. Only partially successful - got more red eye than I expected! At least it's red eye, rather than green or whatever one gets with cats.

Hi Malcolm, I thought you had the IS 300mm f2.8 so my advice was only partially relevant. Regardless, the non-IS 500 is not a hand holding lens.

As you are without IS, what I would suggest you consider is using a monopod.
They are cheap, small and light, and much more manouvreable than a tripod, but can add as much stability as IS with regard to effective shutter speeds.

The IS tele's have come down in price recently, and 2nd hand values as a result, and the 300mm f2.8L IS can be had used for not much over £2k (example) , or if you're happy with Hong Kong dealers , even brand new.
Still a lot of money of course, but maybe selling your f2.8 and f4 would get you close enough to consider the change. I have found that IS gives a massive advantage for telephoto photography, it really makes a huge difference to the number of sharp photos you get. Maybe you could try one out at a local dealer and see for yourself.

I use both the 500 mm f4 and 300 mm f2.8, I usually take the 300 mm when I go abroad on holiday, using it with the 2 x extender. In the past I've used it mounted on a tripod, but this time when I go to Gambia I'll be using a monopod. I'm trying to cut down the amount of weight I'm carrying.
I've every confidence in the lens which performs well with the 2 x extender.

I've just weighed the 500 mm lens without the leather lens cap, on the bath room scales its 4.4 kg, the 300 mm is 3.0 Kg.

Regards
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back