• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap in Scotland??? (1 Viewer)

Sugarbabe

We have just recently purchased a bird table and put out nuts and seeds which has resulted in all the usual garden birds visiting. However one bird I could not identify and had to research my bird book looks like it is a male blackcap. I have been all through my bird book and both my husband and I agree the blackcap is the only bird it can be. It has been in the garden the last couple of days and we have had good close up shots of it.

However my bird book says that they are very rare in Scotland ( we are in Aberdeen) and also that they migrate to warmer climates fro the winter.

So can anybody help us. Could this be a blackcap and if not what else could it be? It has the prominent black cap, grey underneath the cap with brown wings and back. It also has black legs and feet

Thanks in anticipation

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

It does sound like a Blackcap. How old is your book? The reason for the question is that in recent years more and more Blackcaps are overwintering the the British Isles whereas, say 20 or 30 years ago they would be very very rare in winter.

Colin

Colin said:
First of all, welcome to the Forum.

It does sound like a Blackcap. How old is your book? The reason for the question is that in recent years more and more Blackcaps are overwintering the the British Isles whereeas, say 20 or 30 years ago they would be very very rare in winter.

Colin

Thanks for the welcome and your reply.

Yes, since I posted the topic I also visited a link from the RSPB site which details bird sightings in the Grampian Region and I see that Blackcaps have been sighted in Aberdeen. That made me wonder how old my good old "Collins British Birds" book was and I then read that it was published in 1982!!!!!

I must get a more up to date book!!

Oh well - we won't be getting an influx of twitchers in my back garden then!!

Welcome to the forum, Sugarbabe. can't wait to see what your avatar looks like !:) OUCH! Sorry, about that, but the boss just skelpit me wan! She always checks what I type!

Seriously though, you'll find that a lot of "summer" birds are overwintering here now. We've had chiffchaffs, willow warblers and blackcaps here in the Black Country over the past few years. And talking of outdated books, I still cherish my AA/Reader's Digest Book of British Birds which I got in 1969! Brilliant illustrations, even if the info is well out-of-date! And I've got a 1950s Observer's Book of Birds! In B&W!

Are ye a toonser or are ye ane o' the bonnie lassies o' Fyvie?

Hi Sugarbabe, Welcome to Birdforum,

There has been an in flux of over Wintering Blackcaps from the Continent this year. They are believed to be from Germany and Denmark from what I have read. The easterly winds are great for bringing in migrants, though ours have swung west again now.
We had a male Blackcap in our garden this week. They are still pretty uncommon in my neck of the woods at this time of the year too. I reported the sighting to our County Recorder. It would be certainly worth doing the same with your sighting. It would be great if you could post a photo of your bird on the site.

Well, if we're going for old books, I have one (not illustrated) published in 1898. It is, unfortunately, intended for the use of those who wish to ensure their collection of birds' eggs is correctly labelled, but does also contain a list of birds stated to have occurred but which the author finds unacceptable. Maybe he and Lee should have a chat !

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back