• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunnock or alpine accentor in Bulgarian mountains (1 Viewer)

jsab500

Hi, just seen these in Pirin national park (today, 13/09/2017) in south west Bulgaria, at about 2100 m altitude. They may or may not be different birds. I thought at first that they were definitely apline accentors, due to the location and the yellow on the bill and that they didn't seem like the dunnocks I see every day, but then they don't seem to have the red-brown steaks, and it's not clear if the neck is barred or not (on the first two anyway). I didn't try to remember their calls, as I didn't think they could be dunnocks until now...

1:
DSC_4697.jpg

2:
DSC_4743.jpg

3:
DSC_4694.JPG

Thanks a lot,
James

They do look like Dunnocks to me.
They all lack the barred throat as you mention, and the two wing bars (although the latter get worn in late summer.) Alpine Accentors tend to have a stockier build from my experience of them in the Alps and Pyrenees.

We have a different subspecies here to that you have back home, which might explain your uncertainty James!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back