• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Bird (1 Viewer)

Oops, maybe I won't get that work done! Ian, I have one more question I'd like to ask you before we leave this thread. In my researching the RC Pochard, I've come across the term "in eclipse" which I am not familiar with. Is that just the opposite of "in breeding season"?

Thanks,
Mary

Mary,
'In eclipse' is the plumage that many male ducks moult into after the breeding season. After they have bred in the summer months, a moult takes place which includes the flight feathers. As flying is impaired, these males would be more vunerable to predators than ususal, so the new feathers are much more cryptic, very like the female in many cases. Thus they are more camouflaged during this dodgy period. The next moult sees them return to their finery and ready to woo a female for the next breeding season.

Colin - always in breeding plumage!!!!!

Mary,

Colin gives a superb explanation of 'eclipse plumage' - simply as you say, a Summer (non breeding) plumage. Not all ducks totally change their appearance, but the R C Pochard does !

good answer, colin. i'm going to store that information away, thanks. i'm typing with one hand becase my other arm is in a cast. i tripped and fell hard in the parking lot at lake murray this morning before my walk. got some bruises and a broken bone. woe is me! no camera and a cast. it never rains but it pores. if you don't hear from me much you know why.

bye,
mary

Mary,
Hope you and your camera will be better soon. I'm sure that there will be something on this website that will keep you entertained while you are temporarily 'out of action'.

Colin

Get well soon, Marysan!

Goodness! That was a surprising post script to a fascinating thread!

Take care of yourself and get well soon. I hope we don't have to miss your posts and pix TOO long.

Sylvia

Sorry to hear about your mishap Mary, I hope that it isn't too painful for you. It sounds like you should have stayed in and got the housework done after all ;)

Even stranger coincidence, I've been flying on one wing for a couple of months myself due to tearing some tendons in my left shoulder !

Enjoy browsing the site and remember - Take it easy ! :t:

........and I've been one handed since last week following an operation!!!

You take care Mary and enjoy the rest!!!

El Annie :t:

Mary

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you mend quickly. One hand isn't a misfortune. I use one finger, hows that for an impediment lol. Your posts won't suffer. Keep them coming.

Regards
John J

i wonder if the lack of bill color is due to poor nutrition?
and for whomever offered the "mallaganzer" option...was that a serious post or just a joke?
i wouldnt think the 2 species would be genetically compatible.
Anas vs Netta?

however i've seen evidence of a wood duck(Aix) and Mallard (Anas). as well as pintail/mallard

Hi Stratos22,

Personally, I think you could be right about the diet. I've seen quite a few variations in plumage colours. Diet may not be deficient, just a little different. I find that bird guides, understandably, only seem to show photos/diagrams of birds in prime condition and never mention the variations in colour that are possible amongst individual species.

BTW, welcome to Birdforum :t:
Why not introduce yourself in the 'Hello' forum, so that everyone can get to know you ?

Good observation, stratos 22. The person who submitted the mallaganzer theory was our highly respected BirdForum owner Steve and I never did know if he was just pulling my leg or not so I was glad to see your commentary on this old thread. Welcome to BirdForum, always glad to see another Yank here. By all means, sign in to the "Say Hello" forum and introduce yourself so members can give you a proper welcome. Glad you're here!

Well, I've looked at it, and I think it's the Mallaganzer Anas serratoryhnchos. What I'd give to see one of those beauties in the flesh!

:t:

Colin, you are absolutely right of course. I stand corrected, and doff my cap to you, sir, for an excellent piece of detective work!

o:)

Ralph,
Thanks, but didn't know you wore a cap!!

Mary,
It is over a month since your camera malfunction and your broken bone. So, let me ask you in this order...lol. Is your camera back and OK and secondly is your break mended......hope both are a yes.

Colin......the worlds leading expert on mixing up scientific names...lol

Hi Colin,

It's no to both questions. My cast comes off Dec. 10th and the Nikon ,I hope, gets back to me by the end of December. It was about Nov 18th when Comp USA called me to say their Camera Repair company had to backorder a part and it might take a month and a half before I got the camera back. CompUSA made me an offer but I didn't think it was such a good deal for me so I said I'd wait for my camera. In the meantime, I've been playing with the Meade Digital Camera Binoculars- not a Nikon, but it has it's uses.

Pray be kind enough to explain to me, and the rest of the viewing millions, just what you find so 'strange' about the British sense of humour, Marysan ? Is this somewhat sweeping allegation tied in with an earlier thread about having problems understanding plain English ? I suspect that the 'problem' if such there be, lies in the extensive use by the English of Irony, which Bill Bryson feels is not universally understood - comments which are intended as ironic in the UK are taken at face value eslewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back