• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco & the Western Sahara, Two Hit the Desert (1 Viewer)

Three new birds for me on this trip - Borolo Shearwater, White-faced Storm Petrel and Plain Swift - but it was overwhelmingly a trip I planned for mammals, so the full mammal list for any thinking of a similar journey...

1. Risso's Dolphin
  2. Algerian Hedgehog
  3. Barbary Macaque
  4. Ruppell's Fox
  5. Red Fox
  6. Fennec Fox
  7. Egyptian Mongoose
  8. Sand Cat
  9. Barbary Sheep
  10. African Savannah Hare
  11. Barbary Ground Squirrel
  12. Lesser Egyptian Jerboa
  13. Pygmy Gerbil
  14. Lesser Egyptian Gerbil
  15. Wood Mouse
  16. Western House Mouse
  17. Fat Sand Rat

And some closing shots of the 'honorary mammal' of the trip, Spiny-tailed Lizard ...

Attachments

• Spiny-tailed Lizard ws 2.jpg
    Spiny-tailed Lizard ws 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 47
  • Spiny-tailed Lizard ws 4.jpg
    Spiny-tailed Lizard ws 4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Spiny-tailed Lizard ws 1.jpg
    Spiny-tailed Lizard ws 1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 26
Thank you for another wonderful trip report.
Am still amazed that you can sustain the interest of a six year old during an hours long sea watch. She will have a wonderful set of memories and experiences to build on as she grows up.

Many thanks for another fine report from an enterprising trip full of hard-earned rewards.

That lizard looks pretty special, and the quality in the sea watch a real surprise, but the Sand Cat and the Fat Sand Rat sound like they're just waiting for immortalisation by Dr Seuss!

It seems that macaques behave just as disgracefully Morocco as anywhere else in the world.

Cheers
Mike

PS any sign of attitudes to Golden Jackal shifting in Lithuania? that was a quality paper arguing to change their status.

Another interesting read and some great sightings there Jos.

Some great mammals - on our trips we barely touched on the potential. Our loss. Interestingly on the seawatch front I had a really quite similar mix and experience back in July 2011 - with an amazing Cory's passage, 6 Shearwaters and 2 Petrels etc, plus the one that got away, a half dozen or so what seemed with hindsight to be Cape Verde Shearwater.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2205004&highlight=risso#post2205004

I heard that others went out in summer 2012 having seen the potential from the above and Bonser's report, but basically bombed ... (?) Maybe the weather conditions at the time?

Last edited:
We tried seawatching off Cap Rhir in May, unfortunately nothing except Gannets and Audouin's Gulls. Some migration of common waders (Grey Plover etc.)

An enjoyable read, thanks for writing it.
You obviously put a lot more time and effort in to your Morocco trip than I did but it does seem that my overall impression of Agadir and surrounds was about right. Not really a lot obviously about during the month of June from an avian perspective!

Great trip report Jos - ta for posting.

Hi Dan, i'm still enthused by yours and others' seawatching results. Have you more info on, or a link to, the dud 2012 seawatch efforts? (you've prob mentioned it before, but my memory's going)..
Cheers.

Another interesting read and some great sightings there Jos.

Some great mammals - on our trips we barely touched on the potential. Our loss. Interestingly on the seawatch front I had a really quite similar mix and experience back in July 2011 - with an amazing Cory's passage, 6 Shearwaters and 2 Petrels etc, plus the one that got away, a half dozen or so what seemed with hindsight to be Cape Verde Shearwater.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2205004&highlight=risso#post2205004

I heard that others went out in summer 2012 having seen the potential from the above and Bonser's report, but basically bombed ... (?) Maybe the weather conditions at the time?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back