• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madrid in Mid-July (1 Viewer)

Lynx21

I went to Madrid for a city-break type holiday from July 12th until July 17th and while there I managed to get two mornings of birding at two of the best sites (according to other peoples trip reports) within public transport access of the city.

Laguna de El Capillo (Rivas Vaciamadrid)

The first of these was Laguna de El Capillo, which is around a 10-15minute walk from Rivas-Vaciamadrid Metro Station. On arrival at the metro station we were greeted by nesting White Storks on every available nest point possible, including the station itself. I had read that the cliffs overlooking the lake were worth a look, and they were, despite there being a large number of dog walkers. A walk along the paths on top of the cliffs produced Thekla Lark, Black Kite, Black Wheatear, Sardinian Warbler, Black Redstart and Spotless Starling. The view was very impressive and on the way back down to access the Lake, a distant group of at least 60 White Storks were riding the thermals in a circular motion, amazing to look at.

A full walk around the lake produced at least 4 Little Bitterns, European Bee-eaters on the telephone lines, Purple Heron, Short Toed treecreeper, Great Reed Warbler and a purring Turtle Dove. There were also good numbers of Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long tailed Ti,t Blackbird, House Martin, Swallow and Swift. A Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Eurasian Kestrel also made an appearance.

El Pardo Reserve

We caught the 601 bus to Mingorrubio at a reasonable time in the morning on the 16th, arriving at around 8.30am. Once we arrived we first took a walk alongside the river, and I have to say I was a little disappointed at first (I did have high expectations). A few Cetti's Warblers were present and a good looking Kingfisher darted through. The scrub and grasses alongside the river held Crested Tit and Serin. Once we met the foul smelling dam we turned back and things started to pick up when I looked up and saw numerous Griffon Vultures and a single Eurasian Black Vulture showing well. A pale Booted Eagle also made a short appearance while Black Kites seemed to be absolutely everywhere. We walked back, parallel to the river but via the scrubby grassland, where Eurasian Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow and Crested Larks were in abundance. A Golden Oriole was a welcoming sight and sound in the scattered trees near the river.

We then walked away from the river, through some houses in Mingorrubio and into a very baron looking Woodland. This held some very nervous Azure Winged Magpies, a Hoopoe and two Long tailed tits. Along the fence line we were able to look into the sky a little better and thank god we were because we got great views of a circling Spanish Imperial Eagle, a great ending to a great morning/ early afternoon (by this time it was 36C+). Other birds present at the reserve included Monk Parakeets, Swallows, Swifts, Sand Martins, House Martins, Eurasian Kestrel, Short toed treecreeper, Blackbird, Little Bittern, Common Buzzard, Mallard, Great Tit, Blue Tit.

I also got great views of a Hoopoe while walking through Case De Campo park, and Monk Parakeets were literally in every green area.

Hopefully this will give people an idea of what they may see around this time of year with a couple of mornings spare.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back