• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (52 Viewers)

What a week! Phalarope last weekend and then 5 days of school work! Mind you did have a hobby twice from my bed as it hunted the swallows nesting at the farm.

Have a look at my blog if you will to see what my weekend brings! www.bikingbirder2010.blogspot.com

All in aid of the RSPB's Love Nature week. Aren't I glad that I'll be standing outside Sainsbury's in Warwick, not Bromsgrove.

Reading this forum one gets to understand why Upton is so special. It's not just the birds, it's the people. Everyone there is a character and a star. Chatty in the hides, noisy!? It's the noise of fabulous people who are thrilled to see the fabulous birds at this fabulous place in the company of fabulous people.

Get the picture!

Speaking of pictures, thanks Gert for those you've posted and for the one on facebook.

Thanks everyone,

Gary

Great reading, gaz, and thanks for your contribution to UW - a great find and a great attitude to local patch birding. Who can deny the commitment of a person who's prepared to camp out in a hide all weekend to find good birds. Top notch, mate.:t:

What a week! Phalarope last weekend and then 5 days of school work! Mind you did have a hobby twice from my bed as it hunted the swallows nesting at the farm.

Have a look at my blog if you will to see what my weekend brings! www.bikingbirder2010.blogspot.com

All in aid of the RSPB's Love Nature week. Aren't I glad that I'll be standing outside Sainsbury's in Warwick, not Bromsgrove.

Reading this forum one gets to understand why Upton is so special. It's not just the birds, it's the people. Everyone there is a character and a star. Chatty in the hides, noisy!? It's the noise of fabulous people who are thrilled to see the fabulous birds at this fabulous place in the company of fabulous people. 8-P

Get the picture!

Speaking of pictures, thanks Gert for those you've posted and for the one on facebook.

Thanks everyone,

Gary
well put Gaz , change your footy team and you would be the 'top boy'8-P

RN PHAL at mecca this morning from Mark - woodwolf just:eek!:

Saturday 4th June

FLASHES
Female Red-necked Phalarope (the original bird that turned up last Saturday when compared to John's field sketches; not sure where it was yesterday!), 7 LRP + 2 young, 1 Oyk, 2 Shelduck, 2 Teal (m + f), 5 Gadwall (m + 4f), 4 Lapwing + 1 young, 7 Coot, 4 Tufted Duck, didnt have time to count the Avocet, 1 Grey Heron, 6 Canada Geese. Woodwolf had a Red Kite over Hobden Hall Farm this morning whilst 2 Sholever were reported yesterday evening.

MOORS
3 Oyk + 2 chicks, 1 LRP, 1 Lapwing, 6 Common Tern, 4 Grey Heron, 3 Cormorant, 36 Canada G, 1 Gadwall, 12 GC Grebe + 1 young only, 2 Little Grebe, 25 Tufted Duck, 39 Coot, Hobby.

Now into its 8th day, this is the longest ever staying Red-necked Phalarope in the West Midlands region (that I am aware of).

Last edited:
Common Rosefinch

I know its all circumstantial evidence, but in support of the Common Rosefinch sighting at the Moors Pool last Sunday (29th) there have been the following reports this spring outside of the numerous records on the Northern Isles:-

29/05-04/06 Amlwch, Anglesey (singing male)
03/06 Portland, Dorset (first summer male)
01/06 Calf of Man, Isle of Man (first summer male)
01/06 Salakee, St Marys, IoS
01/06 Gibraltar Point, Lincs (probable)
30/05 Withheld inland site, Angus
25/05 Portland, Dorset
23/05-24/05 Cley, Norfolk (male)
22/05-23/05 Dervaig, Mull (male)

Last edited:
A couple of shots of the RNP from today:

It's definitely not the second bird (Monday only). Must be the original from last Saturday.

Attachments

• Redneck 040611.jpg
    Redneck 040611.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 106
  • RNP 040611.jpg
    RNP 040611.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 90
To add to Dave and Phil's input:
there were16 Avocet chicks at least 10 adults,
8 LRP adults.
Only 2 adult lapwing plus chick the nest that was due to hatch this weekend in front of the hide was abandoned.
good numbers of linnet all over salt marsh, a whitethroat and sedge warbler feeding young in front of the hide,
the fox was taking the 'mick' today . Firstly hunting at 2pm to the right of the hide where it caught another small mallard chick. It later climbed out over the fence. Later it reappeared in the sewage works field systematically walking the field searching and sniffing the air. This would be the reason why we have lost at least 4 well grown Avocet chicks along the sewage field shore and also the nesting lapwing that sat for several weeks. Skylarks are also displaying over the fielsd and will probably be a matter of time until they are detected.

Also we are still getting a few paying visitors for the Phalarope a couple from Derby and 1 from Swindon all pleasant types:t:
B :)John

Was delighted with my second Upton Red Kite this year, don't know how you guys have been missing them all these years 8-P

Another surprise when I arrived at a near deserted Flashes was the sight of a a RNP, initially the light was poor and then I lost it so it took me a while to be 100%.

Had a pleasant walk along the river and decided to try and learn a bit more about other species and get to grips with the Camera I bought at Christmas. Don't know if this will all work, but would welcome correction if I have ID'd these wrong, and help with the one unnamed.

The Moth was on my own patch yesterday

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63674406@N03/

Cheers B :)

A couple of shots of the RNP from today:

It's definitely not the second bird (Monday only). Must be the original from last Saturday.

Great pics Dave.
This is the best it has performed. I wonder if it was a sleep yesterday for periods out of view, maybe behind the islands or on the 3rd Flash. So do we count it as 7 or 8 days:smoke:

Was delighted with my second Upton Red Kite this year, don't know how you guys have been missing them all these years 8-P

Another surprise when I arrived at a near deserted Flashes was the sight of a a RNP, initially the light was poor and then I lost it so it took me a while to be 100%.

Had a pleasant walk along the river and decided to try and learn a bit more about other species and get to grips with the Camera I bought at Christmas. Don't know if this will all work, but would welcome correction if I have ID'd these wrong, and help with the one unnamed.

The Moth was on my own patch yesterday

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63674406@N03/

Cheers B :)

a good 're-find' Mark:t:

How come I cannott get any up to date bird news from Upton Warren?, there does not seem to be any posts since 2009. I am a member of WWT at Upton Warren and fail to see why I have to pay someone to let me have some news. after all everyone else in other counties but on the news in their area for free.

How come I cannott get any up to date bird news from Upton Warren?, there does not seem to be any posts since 2009. I am a member of WWT at Upton Warren and fail to see why I have to pay someone to let me have some news. after all everyone else in other counties but on the news in their area for free.

???????

Anyone else understand this comment?

Sorry Pete & Sandy - dont quite understand your comments.

This thread (which isnt officially sanctioned by the WWT although all the volunteer wardens contribute regularly to it) is full of bird sightings, often quite detailed including counts of commoner species, increasing also including mamals and insects, the majority since 2009 and a number posted live from the field eg Woodchat's Little Owl this morning. If you feel that the Trust should be supplying a news service (say via their website) I would suggest that you take that up direct with them.

There are a number of news services operating eg Birdline Midlands, Worcester Birding, Birdguides, Rare Bird Alert; these are all commercial operations with differing levels of information, geographical coverage and charging rates. If someone wishes to operate a Worcs / West Mids news service free of charge that's their perogative if they can afford to devote the time to it and cover the running costs of a website etc.

Phil

Last edited:

is this meant to be a joke??!! :eek!:

i've just flicked back through the pages and since 31st dec 2009 there have been 4018 posts on this thread most relating to sightings or managing the reserve. one of the best threads on birdforum in my opinion. i rarely contribute but always have a look so if you want free news then this is the place.

do you feel you should not pay for anything in life? if you want a service then you have to pay for it unless you know otherwise

Cheers GoldenI and well put.:t:

The only thing I can assume is that Sandy and Pete are, somehow, stuck on page 1 and can't access the later pages.

Still, that doesn't excuse the appalling tone and attitude expressed IMO.

Last edited:
Cheers GoldenI and well put.:t:

The only thing I can assume is that Sandy and Pete are, somehow, stuck on page 1 and can't access the later pages.

Still, that doesn't excuse the appalling tone and attitude expressed IMO.

Having re-considered the post I believe this is probably a comment in respect to Brian's Worcester Birding website where the free-to-view updates stop at 31st December 2009. I am sure that Brian is more than capable of defending himself but I would go on record in commenting that as now the central hub for Worcestershire news he does a great job in disseminating information. He has to earn a living and if that means not spending his time in loading extensive information on a free-to-view page then thats his call and I dont think anyone should criticise that. I subscribe to a pager so I dont require another news service but at £25 a year the Birding Today website covering the greater Midlands would appear to be very good value for money.

All the monthly updates for UW going back to January 2009 (written by myself) can be viewed free of charge on Upton Warren Birding website (also operated by Brian FREE OF CHARGE) and these are usually not more than a month out of date.

As Golden I has stated above there is no god given right to information and running a website costs time and money; with the current of petrol investing a few quid in an information service to see if a trip is worthwhile or not would seem to make sound economic sense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back