• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

setting it up lumix fz20 (1 Viewer)

liteace

:news: can enyone give me advise on what settings to use for the first time using the fz20 will be taking pictures maily of birds flowers and general countryside shots as i am trying to get used to the different settings on the dial
thanks all
graham

Hi Graham,

For me the most important setting was the ISO which I set at 50. I leave it on that setting all of the time as it is the least 'noisiest'.

Other than that I have the IS set to Mode 2 so that it's only when I half depress the shutter that it comes into play. If however you mount the camera on a tripod the usual advice is to switch IS off.

As regards exposure mode then I switch between A and S. A gives a default aperture of f8 though it's easy to decrease if need be to gain a higher shutter speed using the toggle button. f8 gives a nice depth of field for bird photos. I have spot metering set.

Check out the use of the toggle button in M, P, S and A modes as it has different controlable functions - very useful.

Digital zoom I usually have disabled, though sometimes it can be useful as decent results can be had with a small amount of digital zoom.

That's about all that springs to mind at present.
For focus then I have the camera set to 'spot'. Most often I use auofocus, but sometimes, particularly flight shots I use manual focus - you just need to flick the switch down one notch on the left side of the camera barrel.

You can use raw files, but I find little use for them so I use jpeg compression set at the finest quality.

One thing that lets the camera down is macro setting. It's good for close ups of flowers as at less than full zoom you can move in close. At max zoom though I think it's about 2m which negates the powerful zoom as reproduction on the LCD is very small - not much use for getting in close with live subjects!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back