• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPhone adapter for Kowa spotting scopes and bins (1 Viewer)

Peddler

Just got back from a sales meeting, saw the new iPhone adapter for Kowa scopes and bins. Should have a sample soon. MSRP will be $59.95 More news to follow.

Peddler :t::t::t:

Just got back from a sales meeting, saw the new iPhone adapter for Kowa scopes and bins. Should have a sample soon. MSRP will be $59.95 More news to follow.

Peddler :t::t::t:

I've had one for over a month in the UK and adapted it to fit three Opticron eyepieces.

Very, very expensive in the UK at £60

£60!!!!! For a piece of shaped plastic?!? I sincerely hope you got yours for free.

It would be just as good, and cheaper, to hold your phone to the EP.

Not all that difficult. I've done it the past, both with birds and with planets from an astronomical scope.

Certainly beats paying £60 for A piece of plastic! They must think that the buying public are a bit simple to charge that price. Still, a fool and his money....

Can an iPhone work out the exposure correctly? I haven't used one, but my Blackberry has no way of controlling the epxosure and if there's a lot of black in the image (which there will be if I hold it too close) then it'll over expose, and vice versa.

Putting it up to an Opticron scope there is a technique that you may think is alien. You have to have the twist up eyecup twisted up as if a non spec wearer. If you don't do this then it will not work. With the eyepieces that I have used, Opticron stock codes 40810, 40809 & 40858 you get the tiniest amount of vignetting.

The iPhone meters the light and works out the exposure based on where you point the the sensor, touch the screen where you want the focus and bingo

With regards to the expense, it is a beautifully crafted piece of equipment, but it is expensive. I'm sure that there will many folks in the USA, where a lot of folk use their iPhone for birding to enter their eBird sightings and for the ID apps, buy a lot of these. A lot of folks in the USA also have their iPhone crammed with MP3 files of bird calls & songs

Putting it up to an Opticron scope there is a technique that you may think is alien. You have to have the twist up eyecup twisted up as if a non spec wearer. If you don't do this then it will not work. With the eyepieces that I have used, Opticron stock codes 40810, 40809 & 40858 you get the tiniest amount of vignetting.

The iPhone meters the light and works out the exposure based on where you point the the sensor, touch the screen where you want the focus and bingo

I'm told there will be an iPhone app to be able to increase clarity and brightness.More to follow when I find out.

Peddler |:d||:d|

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back