• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gimbal head or video head for digiscoping: what's best? (1 Viewer)

janvangastel

I intend to buy a wooden Berlebach tripod for digiscoping because of it's good vibration damping. Better then many carbon tripods and much less expensive. I also want a good head on top of it. I think most use a video head, but I also read good reviews about gimbal heads. I have read vibration tests of tripods and videoheads, but not of gimbal heads. Any good or bad experiences, or maybe someone who uses or has used both types? Are gimbals more prone to vibration then video heads (I wonder why most people don't use them)?

I didn't buy a gimbal head because someone who had experience with such a head, told me that a video head workes better for digiscoping. Yesterday I bought a Gizzo G2380 video head. It workes very well, combined with a Swarovski balance plate. I was lucky to find a Gitzo G1327 tripod for a very reduced price. This tripod is discontinued, but I found one in a photo store in Amsterdam.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back